1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Input requested

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by rcav8r, Aug 9, 2011.

1. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Hi All;

Not sure if your aware, but that was my article on Intro to CAD in the Aug Model Aviation. I have gotten a ton of requests on how to draw a set of plans based on a 3-view. After conversing with the folks at MA, they want me to submit an article on the process.

The issue: What plane? It needs to be something rather simple with out too complex many curves, etc. I don't know as many full scale airplanes as some folks here so any input would be appreciated.

I will be using a standard 2D CAD program (Sorry no SU) as that is what >90% of the folks were requesting. so it needs to be 2D friendly so to speak. And something that can be demonstrated on a beginner level. Actually I had more in the article about 2D, but it was cut due to space issues, so only SU was mentioned.

Ironically I submitted an article about 3 or 4 years ago about the PhlatPrinter ( back when the MKI was king), and after about 101 calls with the former editor, it evolved to an intro to CAD.... Hopefully I can get one on the PP eventually.

Thanks in advance
    Dave

2. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Congrats Dave! :doubleup:

I knew you submitted articles in the past but was unaware that you got published. Of course I dont receive that mag either. Nonetheless, great job.

IMO, one of the simplest and most familiar planes to most newcomers, would be a Piper Cub.

My two pennies.

3. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

Saw that article as well and enjoyed the read, even if it was intended for a broader audience. Congratulations on getting it published in the magazine! Writing for pubs is actually quite hard, especially with such a technical subject as it has to be written for broad readership.

2nd on the cub. Its a generationally familiar plane that is simple in shape. Perhaps an indoor style or small park size, flat dihedral wing with a simple box fuse body. Keep it simple since you'll have such limited space to work with.

Again, congrats on getting it published!

4. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

This is fantastic Dave! :doubleup: I just went back through and found the article. Well done my brother! :good:
    As for the plane I would agree it needs to be simple but at the same time not boring(not that the cub is mind you :) ), but IMO just as we are talking about using CAD to make the designs in place of the old school days of tile printing and trips to kinkos. Once again IMHO we should be trying to appeal to the younger generation who only know of using CAD and the Phlatprinter (hint,hint) to design their models on the fly. I would think a simple flying wing like the B2 would be eye catching and a little more up to speed. I am really not sure the B2 would be the best candidate either. It may turn out to be a little too simple for a tutorial, but perhaps a well known UAV like the predator people are seeing in the news. Maybe even a custom design to should the power of using CAD not just for tracing others plans, but for creating a completely new aircraft, just to see if it will fly! Trying to get the point across of using an aircraft that will appeal to everyone, but be uptodate enough to hold the intrest of the kidz too. :02cents:
    Dave congraulation on your article being published. Its well written and very informative and I am sure it will help many take the step into CAD for their next project.
    You rock brother! :banger:
    Mark and Trish

5. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Hi guys;
    THANKS for the feedback so far. I was kinda of thinking of a Cub too, but it is just another Cub ;-) . I was also thinking of a Cessna 150/152 as there is a bit of taper in the wings. As a lot of designs have tapered wings it might be good to show how to make the ribs. Then again I don't think the subject is the important part here, as much as the content so maybe something very familiar would be good; such as a Cub. Now to find a good 3-view of a Cub with formers......

Another thing I am checking on is the recent actions of aircraft companies wanting a license when their product is used. Not sure how this will play out for this use.

Mark I hear you about going to Kinkos, designing/testing your design and such, but of the 40 or so emails I got on the article, I would wager all but one or two requested taking a 3view and making a set of plans they could print and then build from. So this is the route I must take :) Also even though only Sketchup was mentioned (the 2D stuff was dropped I'm guessing due to space) all but maybe one or two emails were asking how to draw in 2D; which works out well as I am more comfortable with 2D cad than Sketchup.

The spirit of the article ( and now what appears to be a series) is to get folks who are not familiar with CAD, or who know about it, but afraid to use it/not sure where to start, get started in CAD. I'll be the first to admit I'm not a CAD expert, but I think that will help in that I'm only a step or two above the newbie, but still can do almost anything I want with it for designing models.