1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Just ordered my MKII kit!

Discussion in 'GENERAL Phlatprinter MKII Talk' started by cncmachineguy, Mar 7, 2010.

1. cncmachineguy

cncmachineguy Member

Ok, I am just a bit excited! Just ordered my kit yesterday. I think I ordered everything I need. ;)

I ordered the MKII bonz kit, the componet kit, and the electrics kit.

I have been surfing all day on and off to try and figure out whether or not I have ordered all I need. Can someone please help me out and tell me what else. I know I need a puter with windoze and mach3 or ubuntu and emc3.

Do I need glue? screws? nails? etc.. you get the point.

I am trying to be all ready so in case I receive the MK stuff by friday, I will have everything else on hand. This weekend coming is my weekend with my son this month, and if the parts are here I want to spend it building with him not shopping.

Looking forward to a long and wonderful relationship with all you phlatboyz!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Congratulations cncmachineguy ! You're going to love it!
    I'm afraid I can't be much help about building a MKII, because I bought a MKI long ago and then modified it like crazy. If you think you might do the same, I'd suggest not using glue on anything you might need to pull apart later. Other than that, check out all the threads at here and here and here to get your head spinning on all the possibilities.
    As a side note, if you'll add your whereabouts to your profile, and maybe your name to your signature, there might be somebody in your neighborhood with a PP that can help you more personally than via email or the Forum.

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

cncmachineguy, Welcome to the Phlatforum and to the Phlatclub!
    Trish and I just emailed you.
    We would have gotten back to you earlier but we were making your kit! :mrgreen:
    To answer your question you will not need anything unless you want to do modifications like Dennis stated. All the screws, glue, etc. are Included with your machine. When it comes to your door you should be good to go :)
    You can check out some of the modifications the guyz have made to their Phlatprinter MKII machines here.
    MKII Mods
    Thank you for your support and again welcome to the Phlatboyz, we look forward to seeing all the cool things you create with your Phlatprinter MKII!
    Mark and Trish

4. cncmachineguy

cncmachineguy Member

All you guys are AWESOME!!!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Hey Mark - Bert has definitely caught "it" bad! You'd better get his package in the mail as soon as the Post Office opens or he's gonna have apoplexy waiting for it to arrive! :lol:

Just poking fun Bert - If you could see some of the early posts and emails that many of us sent when M&T launched the PP, you'd quickly realize you are truly among friends (and fellow CNC addicts) here. :oops: :lol:

Mark - is there a Sticky Thread somewhere that lists all the keyboard shortcuts we can use here on the Forum and in the Chat? Like just typing shift-M-&-T to type out "M&T" or shift-P-P to type "PP" ?

6. kram242

Bert we think the same of you, and you will be a welcomed member of the Phlatboyz for sure :)

We love this part of the job and get excited right along with every new Phlatprinter owner. We know that feeling and love it too!
    As for your Machine
    We are working on it and have the components portion almost complete! We have been at it all day today. It was so nice to be able to go out to the shop with the sun shining! Its been a rough winter and the sun is a welcome sight! :cool: It won't be long now Bert :)

Dennis
    As for the shortcuts,
    So far these are all we have created but we will be will to make more with suggestions.
    Mostly they were made as shortcuts to make it easy for typing, but they are used through the word sensor of the board. Dennis good idea on making a sticky for these. When we get more we will make a sticky for them.

Word_______ Replacement Action

M.&.T_______ Mark & Trish
    M.n.T_______ Mark & Trish
    P.P_______ PhlatPrinter
    P.Z_______ PhlatBoyZ
    S.U_______ SketchUP
    m.t_______ Mark & Trish
    p.p_______ Phlatprinter
    p.z_______ PhlatBoyZ
    s.u_______ SketchUp

7. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

cncmachineguy, welcome to the phlatboyz...if you are like me, you will enjoy your build...take your time and do a good job...peace, randy.

8. cncmachineguy

cncmachineguy Member

Thanks to all the kind greetings so far. This is an awesome group of people.

I have a small machine shop with 3 VMC's and 1 lathe (not including some other manual machines). All my machines have names cuz I think of them as people. The MKII will also be named, but will be even more special since it will live at home. (funny the apt. complex I live in won't let me bring home any of my VMC's :evil: )Imagine they would think it too heavy or big to put in the back bedroom.

Anyway, Mark & Trish, I just saw the thread about your new toy in the garage, I guess I won't be the proud owner of the first Bonz kit from it :( . But really, if you guys need any help with any part of it, just ask. I have been maintaining my own machines for about 15 years now, from mechanical to control. I also write all my g-code by hand so if you need any setup help, again just ask.

Again, thanks all!

9. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Welcome to the family. It is a great feeling to be supported in whatever goofy thing (at least my goofy things) come to mind.

10. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Hi cncmachineguy and welcome,

If you got an email from someone you didn't know, it was me. :) Seems cncmachineguy is local to me, possibly 50 miles as the crow flys. There is supposed to be another guy in southern MD, but I have never seen him here. Looks like with all that experience, it won't be much of a problem for you.

-Kwok

11. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

WOOHOO! Howdy Bert! I'm sure you'll be pleased with the MKII. I have the MKI and I love it. And don't forget, it's not just for planes, check out some of the contraptions that on on the forum here. Excluding myself, there is a lot of smart people here. :eek:

Welcome aboard!

-Buk

12. kram242

Thank you Bert for the offer. I sure could have used some help about 2 weeks ago
    I have been tracing a the second short in this machine only to find out out after days after check that it was a mis-wire (on my part) on the BOB. I am up and running now and its working great. I am still and always will be learning about this machine so I may take you up on that offer as I work my way into this.
    Thank you again
    Mark and Trish

13. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Bert I'll be building a MKII about the same time you are, perhaps we can help each other out?
    I'm really looking forward to having time to build the latest pp!

14. cncmachineguy

cncmachineguy Member

tv, Yes I am sure we can, Anytime I have something worthwile to offer, I like to. I think Kyyu may be building his MK also, so it could be a group build. Actually, you are the one who put me over the edge to finally get me one. I been eying them for several months, but your corsair did it. I was showing the workshop build on RCG to my honey, she said why don't you make one? Of course my reply was there is no way I will get all those parts cut with a knife to meet my machinist eye. She said, well we got the ole refund so go ahead and get it!

So anyway, here I go down this wonderful path of home CNC foam cutting!! My son is already working on sketchup learning and this will help me teach him G-code. Good stuff all around. :D

15. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Bert that's fantastic! I will eagerly await to see your corsair! :D
    I can honestly say my MKI has been the coolest thing I have ever bought. I know you will not regret getting your MKII.

16. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Yep, I'm in. Got to get my computer stable, 1st. HD is failing, bad sectors. Then can rewatch the videos and do the build. So, we can help each other out.

-Kwok

17. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

You know, both you guys are using EMC2. Erik, I'm pretty sure has been all along; and Burt saids he plans to. When my computer was down (all fixed now), I was using my ubuntu/EMC2 install the surf the net. I didn't use it much, just testing the install a while back. That was easy enough, but to see the ustream, I needed to install flash. And that was not straight forward, at all. It would seem to install, but still not work. Thank goodness, for google. These days you don't need, real tech support anymore. But, I finally got it figure out. So I'm more comfortable with ubuntu, now, having actually learned a few things about how it works.

-Kwok

18. kram242

This is going to cool watching you guys build all at the same time. :)
    Good Luck to you all.
    Mark

19. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Kwok, ubuntu continues to advance leaps and bounds, every six months something else (an old problem) becomes something of history.

On the latest version, 9.10, I went to a website called getdeb.net
    After installing a simple app, all you have to do is click on a link to install other apps.
    Anyway one of the apps is called ubuntu tweak
    Once that is installed installing flash support is as simple as clicking a checkbox.

Bad part is that real time kernel.
    ...because of it, you must use the long term support version which may not have all those neat features, but it is possible to overcome it.

In April, wow next month, another long term support version will be released and EMC2 wil likely get an upgrade.

Got may parts kit in!! :mrgreen:

20. David Miller

David Miller New Member

Did you get your Phlatprinter built? How did you order it? I don't see anywhere to place an order.... Thx

21. kram242

No kit are available at this time but you can check out www.OpenBuilds.com for machine builds that may help