1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Lack of basic skills

Discussion in 'Sketchup Help' started by foamlvr, May 9, 2009.

1. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

I can surf, search, e-mail, post, and cad, but my problem is the lack of basic computer skills. I'm sure most 3rd graders have better CPU skills than me.

I am going to run my phlatprinter with an old refurbished desktop, and do the cad work on my new laptop.

Will I need to install sketchup and phlatscript into both machines ?

If so will I have to keep both machines current with plugins and updates ?

What would be the best way to transfer design work from the laptop to the desk top ?

Thanks Jeff :oops:

2. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

Su only needs to be in your laptop then mach 3 in the PP computer. I also put mach 3 in my SU computer to check the G-code before I put it on a thumb drive and transfer. :D

Cheers
    E-T

3. iflyos

iflyos Member

Jeff...Load Mach 3 on the desktop, that is what actually controls the PP, and it accepts the output of the Phlatscript from the plugin.

As far as transferring data, if you don't want to set up a a network and do it that way, the easiest is if both computers have USB ports, then use a "thumb drive" Thumb drives are portable data storage, and the physical size is very small...you would save the plans to the thumb drive from the laptop, put the thumb drive in the desktop, open the plans, and load them into Mach 3, then you can cut!!

Tim
    AG4RZ

4. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

Won't I have to have sketchup in the Phlatprinter computer to open plans from the thumb drive ? Or does Mach3 handle this on it's own ?

5. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Sketchup will output a g-code file. Then you need another program to read that file, that's where something like Mach3 comes in.

Eventually Mark want SU to be able to run the pp, but we are not there yet. :mrgreen:

6. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

Gotcha, guess I need to get practicing w Sketchup and get some foam ordered.

Thanks

Jeff

7. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

Jeff, have you seen the little tutorial series I put together for newbs using SketchUp for the PhlatPrinter? This might be just what you need to help you to get your feet wet. I've got those vids embedded somewhere on this forum, but you can also find them on my personal website...

http://allthingscrash.com/index.php?opt ... ut=default

I have an older machine running Mach3 in the shop, and I have transferred files two ways - 1. transfer the gCode (also known as PhlatCode) via USB thumbdrive as mentioned above, and 2. since I have wireless connection to the internet on my shop machine, I just email the gCode file to myself and just download it onto the shop machine.

I use my high-end gaming laptop for all of my design work and code generation in SketchUp, then double check the code with a duplicate version of Mach3 also running on the laptop. The shop machine only has Mach3 on it to control the PhlatPrinter.

If you get into any hangups, PM me your phone number and a good time to call and I'll try to talk you through this stuff. It's all pretty easy once you get the hang of it!

8. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

Thanks Crash, I just watched all of the tutorials ( yours and Mark's ). The sketchup makes sense to me, though it's going to take some getting used to. My bane is the reeeeeeeeeeeeealy basic stuff like organizing folders and files. I downloaded the Phlatboyz template, Mark says to put it in a certain folder, well I can't find that folder. I'm sure it's right under my great big nose, but I just don't know where to look. The artsie fartsie side of my brain works pretty well but I got dropped on the organizational side at a very young age. lol

Thanks for the tutorials, without people like you, adventures like this would be impossible for most of us.

Jeff

9. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

foamlvr,
    Hang in there it gets easier and more fun as you go :)
    As for the Sketchup template its really an option that you can us if you would like its not necessary that you have it to run the program or use the Phlatscript but it gives your sketchup workspace a cleaner look (in my opinion) :)

Ok I added a video tutorial on how get the template file in the right spot in your Sketchup folders
    go here to check it out
    Hope it helps
    viewtopic.php?f=94&t=254&p=1748#p1748