1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

LeadFeather's PBF

Discussion in 'Single Wing Aircraft Plans' started by Crash, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

While this design qualifies as a "Strange Aircraft", I'm putting it here since I also put my WannaBug in this category. So keeping with the theme of Single Winged Aircraft, I present to you guys leadfeather's PBF.

I have been a fan of the PBF (Pizza Box Flyer) for quite some time. My earlier planes of this nature were made about 6 years ago and were made from Coroplast and consisted of various sizes ranging from 18" to 36" - all using Nitro engines. With the weight of the engines and electronics back in my Nitro days, the planes were quite challenging to fly! They were, nonetheless, a total ball to fly.

Leadfeather presented this rendition a few days ago, and after seeing his videos, I just had to have one. Since the PhlatPrinter has totally changed the way I build these days (meaning I will NEVER again print out plans and cut my planes by hand), I just had to work this plane up for CNC!

Lead's design utilized 6mm EPP foam. My work-up uses FFF of approximately the same thickness. Since the modulus of FFF compliments the use of tabs and slots, I elected to add them to provide for an even quicker and fool-proof build.

If you build one (and you should! :lol:), please be sure to pop on over to Lead's thread and thank him personally for his efforts at the link below:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=981793

Attached files [​IMG] LeadFeathers PBF.zip (220.5 KB)Â

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Mike you rock! thanks for making this up.. It will be perfect!
    Mark

3. rayclark

rayclark Member

Mike you beat me to it. I had just downloaded this yesterday and was going to convert it. You saved me some work. Thank you. I like that you added the tabs. I haven't figured out an easy way to that and get them to line up right.

RC

4. kram242

rayclark,
    Maybe you could add a few center line cuts at about 25% so that you can see where to line them up once they are cut?
    Mark

5. rayclark

rayclark Member

I meant that I have a hard time adding tabs and slots to an existing 2d plan that I'm converting and getting them to line up.

6. kram242

It just one of those practice makes perfect deals. There are many ways to accomplish this
    I put together a quick video to show you one of the ways I do it.
    Hope this helps
    Mark Attached files Video_2009-01-19_110122.wmv (7.1 MB)Â

7. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Thats cool Mark. Hey do you have problems with the snapping of parts? I get them close to each other and sometimes it just jumps to one side or another. Very annoying. be nice if there was a way to temporarily stop the snapping to make the perfect alignment.

8. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Frank try this...

Go to "Window" at the top bar, then "Model Info" then on the left panel go down to "Units" and you can change the snapping length or turn snapping off.

Hope that helps.

-Buk

9. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Thanks 7up. I knew it was somewhere in Sketchup to be able to do that. That snapping is great at the right time.

10. draftman1

draftman1 New Member

hey Mike, what gear did you put in this?

11. Crash

Andy! Great to see you aboard, mi amigo!

I used a 1500kv Blue Wonder with a 10amp ESC, a 2s 500 - 800mah battery with a 9x4.3 APC E Prop (I think), and three HXT-500 5 gram servos.

BTW, I actually prefer this plane out of FFF or Depron (more rigid and crisper response). EPP is great if you're just learning high-alpha. If you use EPP, I highly recommend the heavy-weight 1.9# stuff.

12. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

LeadFeather's PBF is probably my most favorite plane and probably the ugliest in my hanger as the skin that at one time was crudely painted has since peeled off in places and it has endured a great deal of repairs over the past year or so.

Today a servo decided to let go and added yet another bruise to the well worn FFF so I decided it was time to build another and this time spend a little more time on making it presentable.

So after a few hours of messin around, I completed it this evening. I used color packing tape for the covering this time. It adds a nice glossy finish without adding much weight.

I only hope it flys as well as my old one.

I dunno how many hours I put on my last one, but it was a lot! I love to fly it 2 inches off the ground in high alpha circling the runway right in front of me.

This little jewel is so simple yet so versatile. It is really good for exercising all 4 inputs and keeps you on your toes and your tests your skills. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. MartinT

MartinT Member

Hey Crash,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, and in preparing the SKP file! Just what I needed, since I had 2 sheets of EPP left! (See what you did, now only one remains, and it's your fault!!! :lol: )

Since the 9mm EPP sheets were only about 12 inches wide, I modified your SKP file for a 14 inch wingspan, ( the horizontal fuselage end behind the trailing edge of the wing is glued on) and made it into a GeeBee racer after an example I found on the RCGroups in the topic about the PBF.

I also made the templates for the livery, these I do in 3mm Polypron (a cheaper alternative for depron) and lightly (!!!) spray them with glue to stick them temporarily (duh) to the model to spraypaint/airbrush it .

As a modern touch I made the livery in dayglow orange instead of the dark red of the original. Unfortunately the iPhone picture quality isn't very good in representing colors, in reality it is actually so bright you almost need sunglasses :cool:

The thing is quite a looker and flies like a madman! Very entertaining!
    Once again thank you!

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Crash

Isn't this little plane just so much fun? LOL All of the PBF's that I was flying 10 years ago were Coroplast and had 25-40 engines. They weren't NEAR as much fun as this little electric version. Mine has replaced my SuperFly and HyperFlea as the most flown plane in my hangar!

Flash and Martin - both of you guys have some fine examples there! Martin, I've played around with that Dayglow Orange before so I know what you're talking about when you say "painful" to look at. LOL

Leadfeather did a nice job with his variation of the PBF. This plane will, no doubt, have some staying power in the RC world!

15. kram242

Nice job Martin shes a real beauty!

P.S.
    The word football makes more sense to me for the game of soccer :D The game is played using your feet and a ball :)
    I think John Cleese sums it up nicely for us :mrgreen:

16. MartinT

MartinT Member

-"Are you following this, America?" Cleese is indeed hilarious!

Thanks for the compliment Mark, and Happy Birthday! The GeeBee has had more than 10 flights already, and it's a blast!

And of course: Netherlands 2 - Brazil 1, What a game! And now the semifinal is next! (We are going completely crazy here!)

Laterrr,
    M.

17. Gere Sport

Gere Sport Member

Thanx for the plan and CNC file. I've moved the parts around to suit 6mm Depron and a safe area of 35" x 26" (overhead gantry) and the standard bit. I removed the motor stick cut out for bulkhead mounted motors.

All the parts went together very quickly and I'm waiting for the new year to test at the next indoor session unless the UK weather sorts itself out over the Christmas holiday since that it's snowing at the moment. The spray job didn't go exactly to plan as it's 1 degree C in my garage at the moment and despite using the hairdryer on the paint it's gone a bit wrong.

Oh well, I must get back to the original project after this little excursion... Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] LeadFeathers PBF_With Codes For Depron 2 CNC.cnc (19.7 KB)Â LeadFeathers PBF_With Codes For Depron 2.skp (315.5 KB)Â