1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

live video

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by JBourdon, Feb 6, 2010.

1. JBourdon

JBourdon New Member

hi Mark, Trish,

May I make a suggestion about where on how the live video feeds behaves?

my problem:
    -I often leave the phlatforum board index browser window open, so I can just refresh it
    -most of the time, because of time difference, it is off/silent during the day.
    -sometimes you start a show in the evening (your time)
    -now, a few times I have been woken up by loud music at 3AM :)

at first, I thought it was the neighbours. (I heard Trish talking about having one of Mark's shirt washed!) I thought that's weird I can hear my neighbours so well talking about laundry at midnight...
    a bit later the same night I realized it was from inside the flat... spooky!
    I realized it was the laptop and found it was the livefeed.

last night I forgot to close the window (not the one for fresh air, the phlatforum window)
    Guess what... and at 3AM, one's not particularly bright when suddenly woken up by loud music... I thought it was itunes (recently installed) misbehaving, so I forced the laptop to sleep...

So could we either:
    - have the live feed by default silent (not cool if ones checks by 3G connection)
    - have the live feed start manually when you press a play button
    - have the live feed with the current behavior, but in its own thread?

2. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

The index page contains the live video feed.

Personally, I would like to see the video feed moved to its own page off of the index page not only for the reasons given but because anytime I open a new browser window and go to the index page, my browser locks up temporarily for about 5 to 10 seconds while it apparently tries to gain access to something. I have no idea why it does this, but similar issues exist when I try to change folders to open word documents.

I have resorted to placing a link to the view new posts page in my browser and avoid the index page altogether. This kinda sucks because I miss the link of the day promotion and the chat log.

A link to the video feeds page where the video now lives would be a much nicer implementation.

3. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Hey guyz. Let us start by apologizing for the loud music last night. This will not happen again.

We feel that the placement of our live video feed on the index page, above the chat, is one of the best features of the Phlatforum and would prefer not changing it at all.

We would, however, like to receive some additional feedback from others to see if there any other concerns.

Thank you,

Mark and Trish

4. meistertek

meistertek Member

I was disconcerted by the music last night also when I logged in before going to bed on my laptop, but then I realized it was the live feed and scrolled down and enjoyed watching the snow for a little bit. I also went to see who was chatting. At first it kind of gave the effect of those old websites that had music blasting as soon as you entered, but I was ok once I figured out what it was.

I would like it if the live feed and chat was at the very top of the first page, so I know what's going on before scrolling down. I like having the live feed on the first page, but I don't have phlatforums open all the time...well almost every waking moment, but not quite hahahah. Well that's my two cents.

Maybe there is a format change that would work well for all of us? Could the audio be muted by default, but the live video be shown at the top so you could see it? Maybe a banner that lit up and said "Live!" or "Live Feed Active!" would work? Those are just some goofy ideas that I thought might work.

Dan

5. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I like the feed on the front page too and think that is the best place for it.

6. JBourdon

JBourdon New Member

had again same problem last night :-(
    was woken up by scary talking at 1 oclock...
    seemed interesting, but I have to sleep too...
    i have now barred anything coming from ustream on the firewall of my router..
    why don't you just do a podcast rather than a live stream?
    or just put it in it own thread... so it doesn't start unexpectedly...

7. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Jbourdon,
    I have a hard time understanding why this is a problem for you. Every Wednesday at 8:00 est Mark has a live show. This is known and posted right on the front page every day. You have so many options to fix this on your end. Flash block for Firefox, mute your volume, not having the webpage up on Wednesdays, etc. etc.
    I hope these ideas will help you.

8. JBourdon

JBourdon New Member

it's a problem... because I forget about it. I mentally block the post announcing the feed, jut like most of us block ads on other websites...

Typically, I open the phlatforum with a dozen or so link from a bookmark folder in a new firefox window, all related to CAD & CNC (reprap, solidworks, phlatprinter), and keep them open as I switch between the tabs...

yes, I could close the page or mute, but the point is I forget.

I mean is that I like the forums... great inspiration... the live feed is not bad either in itself... but it starting automatically is a problem for me... I've found a solution by banning all traffic ustream on the router... so problem sorted! once and for all. I wish i didn't have to do that...

just as a thought, don't you think it would be very annoying if most websites where to start live audio or audio/video without you requesting it to start? I think it set a bad precedent...

I know, it's targeted, people come to the phlatforums to hear/talk about the phlatprinters and future devices from Mark & Trish... it's not like it is just a stupid random music looping.

9. JBourdon

JBourdon New Member

Actually, Mark, could we have the liveshows as podcast on itunes?
    I would be more likely to watch them if i can take them away with me, and use my off time for them?

10. Klondar

Klondar Member

I like the Feed on the front, But think the idea of moving it and chat nearerr to the top would be good. but if it stays as is it wouldn't break my heart. :)

11. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

We will look into this guys sounds like a good idea to have both.
    We have to say that having the live shows there at the bottom is a big part of newcomers that pop on to the site and they do not have to be registered users to view these shows. When a guest shows up at the site they get a welcome message and a chance to see some of the past live shows or if we are in the middle of one they get the chance to watch. We like the idea of this and would rather not change it as it becomes a staple to the Phlatforum itself.
    Mark and Trish

12. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

JBourdon,

You are using firefox, so just install the flashblock plugin. No need to block ustream at you firewall.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433

That's the way I have it set up, now. I don't have any problem with the ustream feed starting automatically, as then I don't miss anything. I mainly trying out the blocked setup, because even a page with alot of youtube videos slow the browser down a second or two, and now it loads instantly. Not just here, but at other forums, like rcgroups. With the plugin, I now have to click on the ustream or youtube viewer to get it to load. And I have the option to turn flash block off, at any time. But, now I sometimes miss seeing the ustream stuff, when Mark and Trish have an impromtu show and tell. I don't see a problem, with the way it is. I'd prefer to have the choice.

-Kwok

13. mavacpjm71

mavacpjm71 New Member

Flash Blockers as others have said are the best way to handle this issue. Sleep mode for your computer is another.

14. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Guys I think Kwok has the solution here.The flash blocker is a great idea for JBourdon
    This way he can later go back on his own time and watch the videos when he likes.
    Mark