1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Loose wiring causes Havoc

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Build Support' started by ewo, Jan 25, 2011.

1. ewo

ewo Moderator Staff Member

I had been using my new Phlatprinter for a couple weeks . then all of a sudden. the Y axis would just stop moving for no apparent reason at all . It wouldn't miss steps ! It just quit moving period.

I checked the wires and did a lot of other tests. only to find that it would only stop periodically at a undetermined place , It was different every time .....and would not start again until i turned the machine off for a few minuts .

I rechecked the wires. they seamed tight, So that wasn't the problem .................................
    Or was is ?

I decided to try something different, Thinking this has to be a loose wire or something simple.
    so i took the wiring block out of the right side of the Printer and did a slight Mod.

I removed all the wires from the wiring block and twisted the wires together , Color coded of coarse !
    Then shoved the combination of wires back into the wiring block on one side only. and tightened the screws......... Problem solved. My Y gantry does not stop randomly anymore.

No soldering skill's required Attached files [​IMG]

2. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Neat idea. I really don't like those blocks in a machine that moves around. I was thinking of using some .01" headers I use for multi-servos in a wing (This way I only have one plug in, and I can't plug in the servo to the wrong extension) in place of the blocks. If I have problems as you described, I'll be sure to look at those pesky blocks.

I'm assuming that your PS outputs 24V? I have an older one that puts out 30V, and I'm still on the fence on hooking it up or not?

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Nice idea Bruce! Thanks for posting this :)
    We wanted to come up with a good easy to assemble (here in the Phlatshop) plug type connector but could not find one we liked.
    If you guys know of any that may be an affordable easy to assemble solution please let us know and we will look into including these with the kits.
    It would be great to be able to plug the steppers in an out quickly.
    Thanks again Bruce
    Mark and Trish

4. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Mark, the .1" headers I use are cheap enough (about a buck a strip of about 40), but they would require soldering in a tight space (pin spacing is .1" after all) and heat shrink. Also they are not indexed, so the user would have to be careful on how they plug them in. I use color coded heat shrink, but still far from user proof ;)
    I did a lot of looking when I was looking for a solution of plugging multiple servos in using only one connector. There are a ton out there, but most were too big for my use. Maybe check Digikey or Mouser? I have a catalog at home I can go through. Before I used the header pins, I used the connector that Multiplex uses on their batteries. They are a bit bigger, have 6 conductors (I think) and are indexed. Problem is they are about $2 a piece, and you would need 6 for the PP.

5. kram242

I checked out Digi Key (hard to browse their site) and found the closest think was a 4 wire molex connector. I think they make a tool to crimp those I was thinking more along the lines of a wire block like we have now with the screws to hold the wires in place, but it would be a plug instead of a block. So it would have a male female connector that you screw the four wires into.
    I have not tried Mouser yet I will give them a try to, thanks for the tip I did no know about them. :)
    Mark and Trish

6. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

7. kram242

Thank you Gefahren :D

8. vicentel

vicentel Member

I ran into the same problem with my y-axis just stopping randomly, with the only fix being cycling the power off and on again. I performed the recommended fix, directly connecting the wires as well as moving the yellow/white wires away from everything else, I also covered their ends with electrical tape just in case. I ran some test cuts and everything worked fine meaning the y-axis did not stop. I decided to solder the wires together just because I felt like it. I'll try more cuts tonight and let y'all know if it continues to work.

9. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I guess you meant that you soldered the strands of each conductor together. If that's what you did, remember to re-tighten the terminal screws after a week or two. Multi stranded conductors that are soldered together tend to compress under the pressure of the screw and thus become loose. Re-tightening fixes the issue.

10. vicentel

vicentel Member

Yes, I soldered the strands of each conductor together and used heat shrink tubing to cover up the wires. I did not use the block anymore, just wound the wires and taped them to the inside wall of the printer. I've done more test cuts and cut more foam this morning. So far no random stopping. :good:

11. vicentel

vicentel Member

Spoke too soon. I finally got around to cutting a new design. The first sheet of foam went well, but when I started cutting the second sheet the Y-axis stopped again :questions: Only cycling the power to the board would get the Y-axis to jog again. Don't know what to do at this point. :think:

12. kram242

Hi vicentel,
    Sounds like you have tried all the things it could be on your end.
    I would like to look at your driver card and test a few things out.
    Please send us an email to support@phlatboyz.com and we will work through this to get you up and running :)
    Thank you
    Mark and Trish

13. vicentel

vicentel Member

Hi Mark,

Will do. Thanks.

Vic

14. vicentel

vicentel Member

Hi Mark,

When I try sending you an email to the support@phlatboyz.com address, I get Delivery Failed notifications. Is that email still working?

Also, I found a workaround. I was able to perform more cuts with the phlatprinter without the y-axis stopping. What I would have to do is restart the CNCUSBController software before I start cutting a sheet of foam. It seems that I can cut one sheet with no problems, but if I don't restart the software and just continue to cut the next sheet the y-axis will stop moving during the program. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
    vic

15. vicentel

vicentel Member

Correction - I have to cycle the power to the phlatprinter and restart the software. I also noticed that when the y-axis stops moving via the program, I can freely push it around but the LED on the board is still solid red.

16. kram242

Thats my fault it should have been phlatboyz@phlatboyz.com :oops:
    Sounds like you may have a bad driver chip, we have had this happen in the past and that's what the problem was. Send us an email and we will get the ball rolling to get you a new one :)
    Sorry about that.
    Mark and Trish

17. dhc8guru

dhc8guru Member

Mark, he seems to be having the same problem I was having, that ended up being a bad stepper or steppers.