1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Lost steps in X-Axis

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Build Support' started by Curt, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Curt

Curt New Member

I have everything working now - it is cutting symmetrical squares and circles.

The issue is when I load a larger piece of material, say 20x30" Dollar Tree Foam board, I get an occasional stutter in the x rollers which is causing distorted parts. It goes away when I speed up the feed, but that causes build-up on the bit. It also goes away when I lift up a little on the pressure rollers.

Using smaller pieces of material helps, but eventually I will need large parts. Is there an adjustment I can make to the pressure rollers and is that the solution/cause of the problem?

Curt

2. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

possible solutions:
    If you have not yet made an infeed and outfeed support table, then do that now. The longer foam hanging over the edge tends to drag, causing lost steps.
    Reduce the acceleration on X, and maybe the step rate as well.
    Increase the current to that motor if the driver can handle more. (cooling!)
    What voltage are you running? if 12 volts, switch to 24 volts.
    check everywhere for things to snag on, any rough spots on the table, dirt on the belt or pulleys, and stiffness in the roller bearings etc.
    You might even want to wax polish the table so the foam slides easily, but this may affect later painting of the foam, ie, it won't stick!

photos of extension tables (on a Mk2 but you get the idea)
    http://www.phlatforum.com/xenforo/threads/adjustable-fence-clamps.381/#post-3359

3. Curt

Curt New Member

I will cut extension table today (I had assumed it was for much longer stock)
    Will try reducing acceleration
    If I reduce steps, won't that change calibration? What am I missing with this one?
    Running 24v
    Table is glossy smooth, but I will re-check.

Thanks again,
    Curt

4. swarfer

not 'steps per mm', but the step rate
    $110=635.000 (x max rate, mm/min)
    cool

5. Curt

Curt New Member

I did all of the above (plus tightened the belt) and got it to cut the Phlatprinter 3 Table perfectly, and the parts fit.

Thanks again.

BTW, I am really impressed with they way the smooth side is the part side. I thought "Inside" and "Outside" were simply offsets. I wondered why it also cut things out of order and now I get it. Very cool, let the fun begin.

Curt

6. swarfer

Hi
    Glad you have it working....

By changing the 'overhead gantry' tick box in the parameters, you can change which direction inside and outside cuts are cut.
    Which way leaves a smoother edge depends on the type of bit and the material being cut, how fast it is cut, and so on.