1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Mach 3 quick start up

Discussion in 'Mach3' started by Evil-Tunes, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

I am working on a dedicated computer for my MKII. I don't want to use a Mouse and Keyboard so I got a 15" touch screen instead of a mouse and I will use keypad for the Keyboard. To make it easier to get to mach3 I took the Mach mill Icon and dragged it in to the startup folder in windows explorer. Now when I start up the computer mach3 auto starts. This helps if you use a Relay to start the dremel because the dremel starts when the puter is turned on and will stop when mach3 is finished loading.

I was showing Mark the touchscreen and he asked how I got mach3 to auto start when he turned on my puter. Mark thaught it would be a good idea to share in the forum so here it is.

I will have Picture of said computer as it gets closer to my build.

Cheers
    E-T

2. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

E-T, I've been checking out some touch screen, these past couple of days. Would be curious to know, which one you bought? Even looked into using the Nintendo DS portable game, but it's going to cost alot of money to get it running and not sure about performance. But that would have been very cool and compact. And other strange concepts, like using the Wii comtroller for a touch screen. I'm looking at a 10.4" display, at the moment.

-Kwok

3. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Great idea! Saves some clicking to get Mach 3 up and running. Thanks for sharing that tidbit.

4. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

Kyyu,
    I was looking through Tigerdirect for a cheap computer when I saw this display. It was twice the amount I paid for the computer but said what the heck and put it on the charge card. :D I think it will be much better than having the keyboard. The problem that I have is. I have to move the MKII out of the room for social gatherings in the basement once or twice a year and every thing gets shoved into one room. I want to keep the MKII as mobile as I can. I didn't think a 15" display was going to be big enough but after trying...it is a good size. :) I saw some 7" ones on A differen't site and think it's two small. I wouldn't go any smaller than 10.4. It will get hard to hit the buttons I would think?
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2668390&CatId=1449

[​IMG]

The other option I was looking at was a joystick keypad. on the mach site there is a plugin for them. something like this would be cool. [​IMG]
    I think someone on this forum is using a joypad or xbox joystick also. I remember reading it somewhere.
    I think it will be hard to jog with the touch screen in small increments so I will be using a numeric keypad also.

Cheers
    E-T

5. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

That might have been me, messing around with the joysticks.

It's very hard for me to make a choice, without trying it out. And to try it out, you have to spend alot of money. I don't think pressing the small screen is a problem, because you can always use a stylus (pen). But the low native resolution is the real problem, because of the Mach3 1024 screen size. I found alot of info from the guys, installing screens in their cars to control their music center. It's really hard to judge size without pictures of the screens installed and running. Here is pic I download from a forum, showing the size of the 7" and 10.4" displays. And a 2nd pic, I photoshoped to see how the Mach screen would look: Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]