1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Map Your Keyboard

Discussion in 'Phlatprinter 3 MODS' started by Flashsolutions, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

I posted this in the Mods section even though technically, it is not a mod to the Phlatprinter per se, but it does apply to its use with the Planet-CNC board/software.

The numeric keypad for the Phlatprinter is great, especially when combined with the Planet-CNC board because unlike Mach 3, the Planet-CNC software does not require you to reset before you can do anything with the machine. It is live all the time.

Being live all the time however has its drawbacks as well. Especially since the 'Enter' key starts the cut operation!

And of course, the 'Enter' key is the largest of the keys on the keypad, so guess what my fat fingers or hand does when I am least expecting it. You guessed it, I accidently start the machine in cut mode. NOT GOOD!!! Someone could get hurt! Most likely, ME!

I sent an email to Andrej but I got no response, so I took it upon myself to find a way around this. Comments on his website indicate he is still working on additional key mappings, but like most of us, I want it now! We are such an impatient bunch you know...

It turns out that Google has a FREE keyboard remapper program that works perfectly!

You can download it here... http://code.google.com/p/keymapper/

Now I have my 'Enter' key mapped to 'E-Stop' and I have mapped two keys, '/' and '*', to be 'Ctrl' and 'Z' so that I can zero the axis settings after jogging the gantry into position. I have mapped the '+' key to take the place of the 'Enter' keys old function of starting the cut operation since it is a much smaller key and less likely to be activated accidently.

This is a huge time saver since I no longer have to go find my keyboard in order to zero my machine before starting my cuts. Everything I need is now accessible on the numeric keypad.

A virtual keyboard is presented for setting up the mappings. You can simply drag any key you want to be the new key over the key you want to remap. It is that simple!

Once you have defined your new mappings, you must log out and log back in to your computer to activate them.

There are many other possibilities for mapping. I am sure you will find it useful.

Enjoy!

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Now this is cool Flash! I too have been waiting for this :D
    Thanks for sharing this info with us
    Mark and Trish

3. topflight36

topflight36 Member

:( it doesnt work with windows 7. I have to wait for the next version.

4. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

I don't have windows7 but have heard that it has an XP compatibility mode or you can install XP in a virtual PC window. Virtual PC 2007 is free from Microsoft. You might try that.

5. Kroko

Kroko Member

CNC USB Software does not work in VirtualPC.
    It works in VMware (Windows and Linux) and Parallels (Mac)