1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

MAVACPJM71 - MKII Build Log

Discussion in 'Phlatprinter MKII BUILD LOGS' started by mavacpjm71, Oct 11, 2009.

1. mavacpjm71

mavacpjm71 New Member

Well Finally - I am ready to build the MKII - This will be my build Log.

Here are the parts, all sorted and stored as I set out on my journey to create the MKII.

Even my Salty's are excited...Had to throw 2 shots of them into the build, as they are my oversight committee during this entire build out. :D Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. mavacpjm71

mavacpjm71 New Member

Well Here we GO!!!!

I vacuumed all the parts, sorted appropriately and inspected.

Mark and Trish,

I have 2 parts that look like they might have some damage. Pictures included.

Part # 71 and 70 I believe.

So chip damage on the ends, unless its supposed to be this way. Let me know if this will hold up my build, or can I proceed with them as is.

Hopefully not. I am starting with the Gantry anyways, so I will await your reply. This is going to be FUN!!!! :p Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

That's all part 71, the bottom of the PP, broken in two.There is not mistaking those long pockets, which are tool holders. The part has a huge cutout in the center, for the cutting debris to fall into the tray in the stand. Wondering if just gluing it back on a flat surface, will work? What do you think? Pic1 attaches with pic4. Pic2 goes with Pic3.

Hum, I was attaching a screen grab of part71, but the one in the build video looks slightly different where your breaks occured. I will upload my own pic. Ok, here it is:

btw, I am a great lover of tropical fish, too. Don't have any at the moment. Mostly, freshwater, but did have a lion fish with a big tube anemone.

-Kwok Attached files [​IMG]

4. mavacpjm71

mavacpjm71 New Member

Wow, so that is 71 - basically it is broken in 2. Why would they send it like that ? It was packed as 2 separate pieces. Thanks Kyyu.

Mark and Trish, can you please have them send me a new Part 71. Mine is broken in 2. Per the pictures above in my build log. It came wrapped tightly. Both parts were separated in the packing, so this did not happen in transit. They packed it like this. Let me know... :eek:

5. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I've pm'ed Mark & Trish, for you, about this.

btw, the part you have labled with ?, in the box, looks like Part# 7. Should be a second one around somewhere.

-Kwok

6. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

mavacpjm71, This is very exciting! I love the way you sorted your parts! Nice one.

As for your part #71 being packed as two separate parts that is strange, but as you know there are a LOT of parts and I could see how the manufacturer could think it was two parts if it came broken off the machine. You may also find that you have extra parts as well.

The part you have there with the question mark on it is part # 7 (Kwok was right) and there should be two of them. If you have more that's ok but you need at least two.

We are sorry that you received a broken part #71. We have one in stock and Mark is packing it as I am typing this message. The USPS is closed tomorrow for the Columbus Day holiday but we have it scheduled to be mailed on Tuesday.

Just out of curiosity, did you components package arrive looking like your picture or did you open it and tape it for the pic?

Mark and Trish Attached files [​IMG]

7. mavacpjm71

mavacpjm71 New Member

Thanks Mark and Trish.

My component box came well taped all the way around. I opened it up to inspect prior to receiving all the boxes. Then retaped it so I could keep it stored until I was ready to start.

Thanks so much for getting me out a new piece. I will await receiving it to continue on the box side, plenty to do on the gantry. :lol:

Thanks so much, this is so much fun!!!!

-Peter

8. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

No problem at all. We are glad that you are enjoying the build so far.. wait till you see it move for the first time!! That's when I always lose it :D
    Keep up the good work and please keep us posted
    Thanks Peter
    Mark and Trish

9. mavacpjm71

mavacpjm71 New Member

GANTRY BUILD OUT - 3 hrs with the wife doing crafts in the kitchen :)

So I will post the picture walk through. It went really smooth, only thing left is to put the #11 on and drill for the pilot holes, and get the protective covering on the back and get the roto zip installed. Then my Gantry will be pretty much complete, only thing left then will be the adjust screws and washer for the bearing. Then on to the next. Man it went so smooth, everything went together perfectly, the video instruction ROCKS!

Here is the photo build of the Gantry. Top photos are the end of the build, bottom is the beginning !!! :mrgreen:

Thats all for tonight!!!

-Peter Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] s="gc-images" title="DSCF0773.JPG" style="max-width:300px" /> [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. kram242

Wow Peter that was quick!
    She's looking fantastic! Keep it going :)
    Mark

11. mavacpjm71

mavacpjm71 New Member

Thanks Mark and Trish. You make it too easy :)

Hey quick question, I searched the box for the drill bit. I looked in all the bags, can't seem to find it. What bit is it, I can just get it local @ HomeDepot. Also - the kit was missing Part #51. I used plywood, and traced #52, for the reverse and cut it out. So I have the opposite side now. No need to send the part, just wanted to let you know it wasn't in the kit.

If you can tell me the bit name, and manufacturer, I can pick one up locally.

Thanks again for making such an incredible product. I figure by end of the week, if the part comes. I will be tuning the motors with Mach :)

Cheers,

-Peter

12. kram242

Thank you Peter we are happy that you are having a good time with the build and its going smooth for you :)
    We are sorry that you ran into part 51 missing, this is very discouraging for us and one of the main reasons that we have decided to make all the parts in house. I understand the manufactures dilemma in that there are a lot of parts to keep track of but on the same token no one will care as much as we do when it comes to quality control, so all around this will be good for everyone. Thank you for finding a work around and being understanding about this.
    The stock bit that we use is found at your local LOWES hardware store here is the link for the type it is http://www.rotozip.com/Shop/CategorySub ... D=30&HID=7 It is the one all the way at the bottom right, called Tilecut™ Bit
    TC1 They sell them in a 5 or single pack. If you are sure you can get one that would be great, but still in the meantime I will put the bit in the package with part 71 going out to you today :)
    Thank you again for your understanding
    Keep up the good work!
    Mark and Trish

13. mavacpjm71

mavacpjm71 New Member

Thanks! I will check Lowes and Homedepot as well. Sounds great bringing it in house, that's awesome. :D

All the best,

-Peter

14. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Peter, if you're talking about the dill bit for drilling pilot holes, that's a 1/16" drill bit. On mine it's listed in the "Phlat-Tools Bag - Cabinet" bag, along with the rotozip bit Mark is talking about.

-Kwok

15. kram242

I am sorry I thought that you meant the bit for the rotozip lol :D
    My bad :) Kwok is right on it is just a standard 1/16" bit for making pilot holes
    Where is my head sometimes...lol
    Thanks Kwok :D
    Mark

16. mavacpjm71

mavacpjm71 New Member

No I was in fact talking about the Bit for the Rotozip. Thanks Mark. I am missing it in my kit, will go check Lowes and grab a TC1.

Thanks,

-Peter

17. kram242

You should have part #71 we sent you soon and that has a bit in there for you as well. :)

18. mavacpjm71

mavacpjm71 New Member

Mark and Trish.

Quick question. When you test your motors, and you turn them. Your motherboards LEDS light up GREEN. When I do this with mine, they light up RED. Is this just a difference in your board vs. my board. Or is something wired wrong ?

When I power up the board with all 3 steppers, they lock in place, hard to move them - almost impossible. All wiring is correct per video, so when I power off the board and hand turn the stepper all 3 LEDs turn red, each stepper causes this same behavior. I must assume this is correct, but my LED is showing RED. Not green like in the video.

Let me know,

Cheers.

19. kram242

This is normal for the LEDS to be either red or green, I guess its just what they have at time. Or may be a way they keep track of the board versions as well. But yes its fine
    Also yes motors should lock up and be hard to turn when you turn them on, this is due to the coils being charged.
    When the board is off and you can turn the steppers it is normal for the LEDs to light up as well, because you are basically creating voltage and back feeding it into the board from the motor just like a generator. I do not see it being problem doing this, ( I do this all the time) with moving the gantry manually on the MKII, but its probably not good practice :)
    Hope this helps
    Mark

20. mavacpjm71

mavacpjm71 New Member

Thanks much Mark for the quick reply!

-Peter

21. kram242

No problem Peter :D
    Everything working out with the motor testing portion of the build?
    Mark

22. mavacpjm71

mavacpjm71 New Member

Mark,

Did the motor testing, My Y AXIS motor is skipping, making a vibration on the gantry when its running on the phlatprinter(The whole printer vibrates when the Y Axis is running). I have checked the pulleys, all are solid, no slop and not hard to rotate. It hops and does not flow - rather it makes jagged movement - and sometimes smooth movement. Not consistent. I have adjusted VREF to 1.6 then all the way to 2.8. Nothing changes, gantry is locked into the printer solid, not over-tightened and not loose.

X and Z work perfect, no lock up - smooth. I have adjusted the step and all the settings per the video, but it seems my Y Axis motor is not able to move smoothly right and left on the rails. ? Any idea here, what may be the cause. Could it be the motor, my next test is to take the motor for Z and remove it from the gantry, put it in place of the current Y motor to see if it is the motor itself. Is this a good idea ?

Let me know, any help much appreciated. I have mach3 setup perfect, everything set the way you describe. All the settings are working correctly, when I run the roadrunner tap file to test all 3 axis - the Y move jagged while the others work flawless.

-Peter

23. mavacpjm71

mavacpjm71 New Member

Well I tested the step motor swap theory. Here is what happened.

When I swapped the motors, the Y axis works much much better. Still need to smooth it out, on the other hand the X axis can't even lift the rotozip extension to move it up or down when under a program. I can do it manually but when it runs a program it makes the same noise it made when it was installed in the Y AXIS. Like a skipping noise, almost like our brushless electrics make when they can't turn over, or when they do a stator hop.

Any ideas, I think this motor is bad. But before I claim that I would love to get your advise.

Thanks,

-Peter

24. mavacpjm71

mavacpjm71 New Member

One more thing to add. My Z Axis seems to need a much higher VREF then the other 2 AXIS Step Motors. I have XY at the straight up position per the video, I show that on my voltmeter as - 2.45 for X and 2.55 for Y. But the Z AXIS will not even move at the same position for VREF as XY, I have to go all the way up to 3.50 to 4.40 VREF just to move the gantry slightly smoothly. There is no lock up anywhere on the Gantry. But yet it makes a shaking sound when going from 1 side of the printer to the other, some parts are smooth, but then it gets shaky. I can't imagine why this stepper needs 3.5 to 4.40 VREF to move even close to properly. All PFDs are at ZERO. Hope this helps with the troubleshooting.

-Peter

25. kram242

It does sound like the motor is bad, we will look into getting a new one for you. Peter.
    We are sorry for this inconvenience. You will receive a PM from us with the details
    Mark and Trish