1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

MDF Card Tray

Discussion in 'Functional Art/Craft Designs and Others' started by Flashsolutions, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Hi Guys,

Do you play Hand and Foot? If so, you might be interested in making one of these card trays to hold your discards.

I use a long shank 1/6" bit from bitbits.com (http://bitsbits.com/index.php?main_page ... ord=dp062f) to cut this out in 3 passes.

Once cut out, sand a 5 to 10 degree angle in each piece where the parts join together and then glue with Aileens tacky glue. Hold together with masking tape while allowing to dry. Sand all sharp edges before painting.

Makes a great gift! Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] MDFcardtray_V2B.cnc (85.9 KB)Â MDFcardtray_v2B.skp (258.9 KB)Â

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Nice job Flashsolutions, your right these would make great gifts. Thank you for sharing :doubleup:
    Mark and Trish

3. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Flashsolutions, from the picture I can see that you had a shift in the material during the cutting. I have that too, sometimes. It is caused, to me anyway, but two things.
    1. cutting too deep and/or too fast (mainly in wood).
    2. cutting long pieces of wood without a support of the wood for the parts that are sticking out of the printer

I cut MDF in .04" depth or there about and at 20imp. I got lots of time, it's money that I don't got lots of so why ruin a good piece of wood? :D

Also, it looks like 1/4" MDF. I cut it with a bit that I had posted here a few times already. The bit is over 1/4" long and I set the parameter in SketchUCam to 103% and it works fine. It's sold in the States and I pay about $18 for a package of 10. I use the diamond cut for wood but not for foam. Diamond cut is no good for foam, I found out.

4. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

There were no shift in the cuts. Maybe the angle of the camera or the sanding or glue job make it appear that way, but this was cut on John Bernards 5' precision CNC machine accurate to .001". My phlatprinter was down waiting for a new belt, so I sent the cut files over to him to cut out.

But I just got in the new belt yesterday and cut a second tray. I do just as you do, 20 IPM with a sacrificial foam carrier but in 3 passes. I was doing it in 7 passes, but I now do it in .1" increments.

I do need to order some of those bits you use. Good price.

5. MarkDavidson

MarkDavidson New Member

1828 Pineta Cove Dr Middleburg, FL 32068-3471
    Wonderful job Flash once again. I think MDF will be a better choice than wood for this craft. It adds more value and look than wood. The cut 1/4'' MDF is a perfect for such type of craft.