1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Micro Phlat Glider

Discussion in 'Micros' started by kram242, Oct 24, 2010.

1. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Here is the Micro version of the original chuck glider, posted by ewo here:
    viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1758&start=0

This one uses a 1/16" bit and 15x39 3mm depron foam
    I have the feed set at 80ipm for good results and it takes about 15 min to cut
    There are 3 Micro PhlatGliders and 1 stand per sheet.
    On the test versions we used 3 pennies for weight but could not get them all the way to the front of the nose so we added a good size blob of glue to help.
    This new version has not been tested with weight but we added a hole (dime size) as close as we could get it to the front. It may need more weight.
    We had a blast with these and were able to get them to glide about 50' down our inclined driveway! :D
    You can make VERY slight adjustments to the elevator and rudder to align your flight path but it only takes the slightest tweak to have a large effect.
    I suggest not gluing the main wing in as it helps to be able to slide it more to one side or the other to get a proper straight flight.
    It also helps to bow the wings ever so slightly to add a little more stability.
    These are EXTREMELY fragile (Its nice to have 3)
    I was able to hand roll the wings around a rod to help get the airfoil shape.
    After the wings are taped together make sure you reroll the completed wing before inserting
    Have fun and thank you to ewo for posting the original and to the person who designed these.
    Mark and Trish Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Micro PhlatGlider.cnc (209.4 KB)Â Micro PhlatGlider.cnc (209.4 KB)Â Micro PhlatGlider.skp (2.6 MB)Â

2. ewo

ewo Moderator Staff Member

Sweet :)
    Thanks for this one !

Ill bet the thing wouldnt be so fragile with a small carbon tube inside . :p

3. kram242

:) Thank you!
    Yeah it really needs some kind of spar otherwise you have to be very careful with it. The kids were breaking the tails off like crazy today. :D
    Mark and Trish

4. blindflight

blindflight Moderator Staff Member

Really slick looking :D I'd say for weight and cost, use a strip of packing tape to stiff up the wing top and bottom...

5. kram242

Thanks Al :)
    The wing seems ok because of the bend it makes it a lot stiffer. But maybe your tape idea on the top and bottom of the tail boom would do the trick
    Mark and Trish

6. jkarnacki

jkarnacki Member

Man I want to cut one of these out just because of that cool Phlatboyz stand! Has anybody tried rubberband launching these things?

- Jeff

7. kram242

That would be cool! I have not thought about doing that. this little gliders go forever!
    Mark and Trish

8. phlatfoot

phlatfoot New Member