1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Mini Decathalon

Discussion in 'Single Wing Aircraft Plans' started by filthybeast, Jul 3, 2009.

1. filthybeast

filthybeast New Member

Here is my first of hopefully many contributions to the phlatforum. I had planed on using all 3mm for this plane, but my order of 3mm from rcfoam came in as 2mm instead, not wanting to have to send it back I adapted my plans to suit.

I built mine with a hobbycity 10gr outrunner, 6 amp esc., and 3-5gr servos, AUW with a 500 2cell just over 5 ounces.

The construction is very simular to balsa planes I built when I was a kid, an inner frame of 6mm with 2mm sheeting. I was very happy with the way the fuse came out, light and strong, not so sure about the 2mm wings yet.
    Included is 2 wing files, 1 with ailerons, 1 without.
    Please let know what ya think, I need feedback Attached files Mini-Super-Decathalon.zip (458.8 KB)Â

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Looks good, I'm sure it will fly nice. Did you have a Sketchup file with it all assembled?

3. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Not sure I understand how the wing pieces are supposed to fit together. Can you do up an assembled SU file so we can see how it explodes?

Just so happens I have a bunch of 3mm foam on hand, a 10g motor, the servos and same ESC and LIPO you mentioned. I just got in an AR6300 2g rcvr which sounds like this might make a good home for it.

I was going to put it in a micro bipe, but the Decathalon would be a good choice as well.

I assume the piece with 3 rectangles are for servos? If so, how does the ailerons attach?

Be sure to post some pictures when you get it put together and let us know how she flys!

4. filthybeast

filthybeast New Member

Ok here is the exploded skethup file-

I have built 4 of these already, making adjustments each time, still not perfect but only minor triming or sanding to make everything fit now.
    It flies very well, i was stoked, since its my first plane to fly at all :roll:

The wings are 2 layers of 2mm with the cf rod sandwiched between the layers, then the 2mm kf2 sits right on top. Works well, the cf is totally hidden between the layers & the wing is quite strong, what I dont like is it takes alot of 2mm to make the wing, & its more $ than the 3mm.

I only did it this way because I have 40 sheets of 2mm to use up, once its gone Ill prob rework the wing for 2 layers of 3mm.

The servo tray was meant to hold rudder/elevator servo, the aileron servo is in the wing. The 3rd hole is just to make it easier to get cg, u can use the forward or rear holes to shift cg slightly, the rest of the holes are for lightening or for running wires.

CG on mine is right on the front cf rod of the wing-

Batt was dead on my camera, Ill get some pics up soon as it charges-

Fred Attached files Decathalon-Exploded.rar (178.6 KB)Â