1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

MK1.5 in Orlando, Florida Area For Sale - SOLD

Discussion in 'Used Phlatprinters FORSALE' started by Flashsolutions, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

As number 3 on the list to own the new MK3, I am reluctantly putting my MK1.5 up for sale in the Orlando area. At this time I do not plan on shipping it, so local only.

What can I say, this machine feels like a part of me having used it so often over the past 2 years, yet it is in better condition today than it has ever been.

Mine is one of the few that were successfully modified with a belt drive Y axis. What that means is that I can move the gantry at speeds that are unheard of in most of the other MK1 phlatprinters.

An original Phlatprinter has typical speeds of around 40 inches per minute along the Y axis and 7 to 10 on the Z (up and down) axis. My machine can do 1200 ipm on the Y and 40 on the Z when traversing from part to part, but in reality that is too fast for anything practical. I restrict it to a more sensible setting since you really cannot cut foam that fast. I run feed rates for most everything at 130 ipm with 500 ipm traverse.

I can cut all types of foam, balsa wood, lite plywood (up to 1/8") with ease. I cut phonelic parts with it as well such as control horns and anything similar.

I am offering it for $750 which is a bargain considering the upgrades I put into it.

Variable speed Dremel replaced the original 2 speed version.
    $300 Gecko G540 controller
    $175 Mach 3 software that drives the CNC code.
    24volt power supply.
    Z axis components upgraded to 1/2" stainless steel rods with oilite bearings, 1/4" Acme thread, anti backlash couplers, and ball bearing support.
    Y axis is a custom made belt drive with outboarded aluminum block adjustable ball bearing pulley providing the full range of 22" cutting area.
    A Relay board switches the power on and off the spindle and auxiliary florescent light inside the cabinet.
    Power Switch and Emergency Stop switches mounted on an MDF electronics housing.
    Removable MDF cabinet to house the electronics.
    Cooling Fan.
    Upgraded stepper motors to produce 260 oz/in of torque
    Removable third roller to put more pressure on the material.
    Removable hardboard surface plate.

Bonus: Software library of planes, boats, and other goodies

The machine has been in operation for nearly 2 years and performs perfectly to this day. I recently installed a new housing for the Y axis stepper and a gave the unit a fresh coat of paint. It looks and operates as good or better than it did two years ago.

Larry Fortna
    35527 Cedar Lane
    Leesburg, Florida 34788
    (352) 455-5984 Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Flashsolutions

I have decided to allow shipping (USA only). Actual UPS shipping costs would apply.

I realize I am asking more for my Phlatprinter than some of the others, but due to the upgrades such as the Geckco controller, etc, I feel that it is justified.

Also, If you don't need Mach 3, I will drop the price to $600.

3. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Hay Flash.... Actually it's a GREAT deal for all that is there.... It's highly modded, and all ready to go. Just plug and play :)

If you decide to ship, please see my post in the other for sale post regarding actual shipping charges via UPS.

4. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Shes a beauty! and definitely worth the price. I have always loved the look of your Phlatprinter, its sad to see it go but someone will be very happy to have it!
    Mark and Trish

5. Flashsolutions

I just added one more mod to the machine. If I keep this up, I am not going to want to sell it ever!

Recently I have been cutting more and more projects using Balsa and Plywood. I came to notice that I had roughly a quarter inch of sag along the middle of the top plate which caused my tabs to cut thru all the way. Sag is no problem when you are cutting foam, but it can be a pain when you are trying to do precision cuts with wood.

I came up with a great solution which as to install a ruler along the opening for the bit where the top is at its weakest point.

A few more minor adjustments were made to make sure the bit travel from end to end was consistent and now we have a fine precision cutting piece of machinery and I also added a roller mod to put more tension on the top roller.

I also upgraded the paint and put back the made in the USA artwork.

This machine is now in tip top condition. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. rcav8r

Great mod!!!! I thought about doing something similar to mine but using a small right angle piece of aluminum on the bottom... My solution was to cut off to one side... since I was only using this to cut 3"-4" wood that resolved my issue :)

I like your solution better than my aluminum one. ;)

7. kram242

Way to go Flash! That's awesome :)
    Mark and Trish

8. Flashsolutions

Update...

I have been convinced by my friend up the street, not to sell my G540 controller with the Phatprinter as he is working up an interface for the new USB card, so here's the deal...

I will exchange the Gecko G540 controller (http://www.geckodrive.com/product.aspx?i=14469) for the Easy CNC controller (http://www.easy-cnc.com/3axisdriver.html) that ships with the Phlatprinter 3 and reduce the price on my MK1.5 accordingly.

The G540 sells for $299 and the Easy CNC controller from Mechtronics sells for $149, however, I only paid $199 for my Gecko because it was a limited offer on sale at the time.

Thats a $50 difference which I will subtract from my $750 price making it $700 plus shipping to your USA address.

I will need to wait till my Phlatprinter 3 arrives before I can sell this one. Probably will make a nice Christmas present for someone, hint hint.

Considering you will still need Mach 3 to cut anything serious, that makes the price of the actual Phlatprinter come in at around $550.

Not a bad price considering the belt drive mod, upgraded power supply, relay board, high torque stepper motors, controller housing, third pressure roller, switches, fans, lighting, and bearing driven Z axis were all added to the original MK1.

9. vrealm

vrealm Member

Hello Flash, Where did you get the Aluminum Pulley Block?

10. Flashsolutions

A friend made it for me on his milling machine.

11. Flashsolutions

Okay, last chance to get a great bargain before Christmas... Local Pickup only.

Reduced to $350, includes Computer, wireless keyboard and mouse, Mach 3, and a brand new Mecktronics controller (never opened). Phlatforum members get an additional $50 off.

You will have to hook up the controller as I removed the Gecko controller from it and used it in my Phlatprinter .

Gotta make some room in my shop...

12. kram242

Flash you may want to place this over at rcgroups and a few of the other forums as well. This is REALLY to good of a deal to pass up and most of the guys there do not have a Phlatprinter yet so it may be a good place to try as well.
    Mark and Trish

13. Flashsolutions

Sold to a guy who works at the LHS. I advertised on Craigslist and got a lot of responses. One guy came out and looked and wanted to think about it. Thirty minutes later and it was too late. Will be picked up Thursday and I will once again have room to move about in my shop.

14. rcav8r

Congrats on the sale. I'm sure that's a relief and that extra room in the shop sure will come in handy. The first guy who came out probably didn't realize what he was getting if he had to think about it. That was one heck of a good deal.

15. Flashsolutions

I practically gave it away, but at least I know its going to a good home. The first fellow was a landscaper and was looking at it to carve 3D reliefs and has CAD experience and Sketchup experience.

The fellow to whom it was sold wants to use it build a foam plane to sell where he works. It is funny, because I talked to him about it a couple months ago before I had decided to buy the Phlatprinter . He was interested but money was tight. I talked to him again last week and left my business card in case he changed his mind.

He decided to team up with another guy to help with the costs but by now I had reduced the price so he probably could have gotten it on his own.

I hate to see it go really. It has been a real workhorse. I have cut a lot of foam over the past two years. But on the other hand, I am really excited to have the 3rd generation machine in house. I can see exciting things to come as we forge ahead in the next year. Mark's never ending mind is always coming up with brilliant new things and with the ideas and help from everyone on the forum, I am sure that the new year will bring lots of new ideas.

16. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

Wouldnt by any chance be Jason over at Graves? He's been chomping at the bit to have some in-house CNC capability to test out his (awesome) designs for some time. He could do some awesome damage with it if is him.

17. Flashsolutions

Yes, as a matter of fact, it is Jason! Amazing that you, in California, would know Jason. What a small world we live in.

18. ToxicToast

Thought so! Actually, I only left Orlando last year and I've been an admirer of his building and design skills for a long while. Great to hear that he is on his way to phlattitude. Great that it is in his hands now.

19. 3Deranged

3Deranged New Member

Dang, nothing's a secret in the RC world! Thanks for the compliments Chris but I feel like I'm startng all over again with 3D and pattern designs. I guess it proves you can teach an old dawg new tricks :D Now I've got to clear the shop and get some other projects out of the way. I just set up the machine today and have to figure out everything now. Mouse doesn't seem to activate on screen buttons(only if I hit enter)-got to figure that one out. Will try another mouse and see if that's the problem. Larry did a great job on assembling the Phlatprinter and I can't wait to get it all sorted out and start making some foam/balsa dust! Thanks again Larry! Here's my blog on RCG-PM me and I'll send you some files

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=63092

Regards,
    Jason

20. Flashsolutions

Welcome to Phlatland Jason,

I am sure you will get much enjoyment out of my ole machine. Until I get my sorted out, it probably cuts better than my new machine :lol:

As I mentioned when you picked it up, the mouse is pretty tired. It has so much foam dust in its belly from eating foam cheese that it don't work so well anymore. Have to press really hard on the left button. The right button works good, but you will need to replace the mouse if you don't want to fight it.

Looking forward to seeing what you can do with your new toy.

21. ToxicToast

Hey Jason, welcome aboard! Glad to see Larry's MK1.5 go to you! Bit of a learning curve ahead but you'll do really well once you climb it and figure out what works best for you. Theres a ton of knowledge on this forum and a lot to soak in. Don't get discouraged if you bump into the ceiling a few times, theres always ways around it. And most importantly, don't hesitate to ask for help. These folks are eager and willing to throw their hat in to see another phlat owner solve the problems!

Cheers!

22. 3Deranged

3Deranged New Member

Thanks for the support guys. I'm sure I'll have a few questions the more I get into it. Look forward to not using so many razor blades! And I've got a Miss Wind Bipe Neu motor mount to cut out for one of the first projects. Better get that sucker on line quick :D

23. kram242

Welcome to the Phlatforum Jason :) Glad to see Larry's MK1 went to a good home and will be getting good use. Its such a nice looking machine. We will be upgrading your level to level one.
    Thank you
    Mark and Trish

24. 3Deranged

3Deranged New Member

Thanks Mark and Trish for the warm welcome! I've got the mouse problem licked now so it's on to calibration. Got to get a bundle of blucor for some test cuts before I put in the good stuff and start cutting. Looking forward to getting back into CNC and cutting out some fun projects I've got lined up.

Regards,
    Jason