1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Most wanted PhlatscripT Feature

Discussion in 'SketchUcam 'Most wanted Feature'' started by kram242, Jan 17, 2009.

1. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Please post things that you would like to see incorporated into the PhlatscripT
    This is the place to dream up new and exciting ideas that may become a new PhlatscripT feature.
    All ideas are welcome here :D
    Phlatboyz

New ideas will be added to the poll as we go :)

MnT

2. kram242

I would like to start off by saying I would like to see the PhlatscripT to become the first (that I know of) CAD/CAM/Controller all in one package :)
    Mark

3. meistertek

meistertek Member

I would like to see a PhaltscripT function where you select a end point in a cutting group to define where the cut should start and end (I think this would be the same XY coordinates the Z move happens to start a cut)

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

I would like to see a way to offset an axis, on the fly, without interrupting the program running. Last night, a dropout snagged the Dremel, causing some missed steps as it was dropping down, so after that all the cuts were fully penetrating (no tabs). It would be nice if I could have dropped Z by 0.265 (or whatever) and simply let the cut continue, then re-zeroed it when the run was finished.

Also, add to my wish-list that if a slot is too wide to be consumed and too narrow to be tabbed, the program could be "told" to make the slot in 3 or 4 passes, to consume the material.

5. KX-5

KX-5 Member

I have had many challenges getting the bit to cut the correct direction. After you see this happening in Mach3, you need to go back to your drawing and reverse the face. And it seems it's not always as easy as it sounds to change the direction. What I would like to see is when the Inside and Outside tool adds its respective line to the piece, is to add directional arrows in the cut line indicating which direction the bit is going to move in Mach3.

LaVerne

6. kram242

hmm good thought LaVerne

7. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

I'm still up for an auto tab feature! I hate that step! :D

8. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

I'm all for a right click function that triple clicks and makes a group.

I've tried hot keying a 'select all' but for me that really selects everything on the table. At the moment I'm using a tablet keyboard (onscreen) called fitaly and within that there is a macro function that kind of works. My next try will be an 'auto-hot-keys' script for the job. But by the time I get that working I could of triple clicked the whole sheet of parts ten times over :lol:

Edit: answer to Dennis below in order to keep thread tracking.

I've thought of the middle button doing that but I'm to entrenched in using that button(a wheel actually) for zoom in/out on wheel rotation and orbit when pressed. It just makes flying around very intuitive for me because my other cad programs do it that way. One thing I should point out is that I don't use a keyboard. It's here somewhere under the paperwork, but I rarely touch it. I use a fitaly on screen keyboard for both my PDA and computer. I just put my chair in recline and set my hand on the desk to work the mouse, then I promptly fall asleep :oops:

I'll try mapping another button on my mouse to double click and only have that map in use when I'm active in SK. Matter of fact I'll retry the macro approach with a couple double clicks them a grouping. I'm looking down the barrel of a large part count plywood project and I need to get it done to save my finger.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

66tbird, I have my Middle Mouse button set to Double-Click, so just double-clicking my middle button does the selecting. That's actually four clicks, but the program doesn't seem to count beyond three.)
    Then I have a shortcut set so "shift-G" makes it a Group (regular or lower-case-"g" creates a Component)

10. JBourdon

JBourdon New Member

CNC part of phlatscript wine or linux compatible...

11. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

12. JBourdon

JBourdon New Member

thanks tv casualty...
    I am already using the phlatscript in wine.
    What I want is to get rid of mach3 and drive the Phlatprinter directly from wine too.

13. ssmeier

ssmeier New Member

-----

by frankrcfc on Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:41 am

So there is no way to just send the z to a spot and poke an 1/8" hole. Rats.
    --
    by kram242 on Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:20 am

Not yet Frank but that is one of the additions to the future phlatscript. Its called peck drilling and it would be a nice feature to have.
    -----
    So here is a request for "Peck Drilling".

-Steve

14. kram242

Good deal Steve, thanks for bring that over
    Mark

15. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

JBourdon,
    gotcha, that would be nice too :D
    In the mean time I would love an auto tab feature, even a FAR from perfect one! ;)

16. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I'd like to have the option to erase cut-lines and tabs on SELECTED faces with one button click.

Yoram

17. ttraband

ttraband Member

I don't know whether GCode supports remarks or labels, but if it does, it would be nice to be able to label a group or component in SketchUp and have that carried through as a comment in the GCode file. I have had a couple of occasions where I needed to re-cut just 1 or 2 pieces from a project. I'm using EMC2 on Linux, so I had to click on the line that "leads in" to the part and identify the line of the code, then find the "lead out" cut to get the last line number. Next I open the GCode in a text editor and trim out all of the lines that aren't the ones I need (leaving the top block that starts the cut and the last block that returns the machine to the origin). It would be nice to just open the GCode directly and have a remark that says "Left wing" or "Rudder."

18. kram242

Another good idea, thanks ttraband
    Mark

19. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

mark, instead of the material thickness slot, have the exact z-depth move, you will have to add how much ya wanna pop thru, but this will go good with the clear pocket mill feature, lol. randy.

20. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Not a bad idea Randy

21. mrbubbs

mrbubbs New Member

Is the poll gone? I was trying to figure out which feature to work on that's most wanted but not being developed right now.

[update]
    Well, if the pocket milling hasn't been implemented yet, I think I'll work on that one. My Dad and I have figured out a way manually to do pocket milling and it's been very acceptable. I noticed Mark came up with the same results, so I think we're on the right track. Now I'd just need to convert the workflow to Ruby. My idea is:

User draws a completely connected shape in Sketchup.
    User clicks the pocket milling tool (whatever the name may be).
    The tool then fills in line paths similar in appearance to the outside cut lines when using the outside cut tool.
    Each path is next to the other, no closer than whatever the bit width setting is.
    Beforehand, you could optionally specify which axis to optimize the cuts, i.e., do you want to make the lines so that they run along your faster/slower Y-axis or the X-axis. This could be another preference setting or maybe you could hold down shift, similar to the outside/inside cuts.

Does this sound reasonable? My goal is to pocket mill weight-sensitive indoor plane foam parts, so cutting all the way through and adding a piece of foam isn't what I'm after.

22. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Sounds great Bubbs!
    Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

23. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

I like it :D

24. kram242

Hi Brian glad to have you on board!
    Yes the poll is gone there were so many additions that wanted to be added to the poll that we decided to just open a 'most wanted Phlatscript features thread' so that everyone could add their addition ideas. :)
    Just to let you know their is a newer Phlatscript coming out soon that I have to post.
    I will list the features when its posted.
    Its really cool that your Dad and you are working together on projects like this, thank you both for all your help.
    The work flow sounds great One question I would ask is are you going to allow for a step over feature so that you can assign a percentage to the step over amount in relation to the bit width? I think that would be a nice feature that could be incorporated into future 3D releases.
    Thanks again guys
    MnT

25. mrbubbs

mrbubbs New Member

Mark,

Now that you mention this, I forgot that I also want to make the plunge depth user-definable, similar to folds with depth percentage.

As for step over, I didn't consider this because my original goal was for pocket milling, where I wouldn't want any material left in between the shape that I was milling out, if that makes sense.

Once I get my original goal worked out, adding in the step over shouldn't be an issue. I don't see myself using the step over on airplanes, but I'm not very creative with the designs so maybe there's a good reason to use such a thing. :)