1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

My crazy work-shed

Discussion in 'Buildings' started by Anonymous, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Mark has asked me to post some of the sketches of my crazy workshed, so that's my excuse. I still have a LOT of drawing to do, but I decided to post what I have already, just for the sympathy value. If you open the skp file and view from the top, you'll see the funky shape of the corner of the yard that's now mine. That's the retaining wall and rose-garden strip along the back, the white picket fence is the beginning of the vegetable garden, and the other cement pad is one of my two backyard patios, without the roof. I haven't drawn in the fences on the back and right-side of the work-shed pad, but I will, maybe before, maybe after I start adding the observatory dome.
    [​IMG] :ugeek: Attached files Workshed 08-07.skp (4 MB)Â [​IMG]

2. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

Dorsal, man that is gonna be awesome....your going to have a very special place to do good work on your cnc machines...randy.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Randy, thanks for the encouraging words, but the model is changing every day. I've added a 7' diameter observatory dome for my Meade LX-10 8" telescope. I don't quite like the facet angles of the dome yet, but I'll get there.
    Oh, the blue "cube" is the operational envelope for the 4X4 Hybrid Router.
    Until I start driving nails, my wife's "worried for my sanity" looks are the only limit. :shock: :lol:

:ugeek: Attached files Workshed 08-16.skp (4.6 MB)Â [​IMG]

4. rjarois

wow!! that 4x4 cnc gonna take up alot of that building......hey dennis make sure you post photos of it if you can when your done, man that looks great.....you should see my ghetto garage, lols...randy.

5. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Dorsal that looks great man! I never thought of putting a loft up there to stand on, that is going to work out great.
    I am really looking forward to seeing how this project turns out for you and I wish you the best with it.
    Thanks again for posting :)
    Mark

6. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

I, too, am really looking forward to seeing how this shed turns out. Imagine the cool factor of having a workshed packed with the glorious-ness of a super cool Joes 4x4 hybrid CNC, and then ALSO being able to do some stargazing, as well!

Dennis, your SU skills are really coming along great! Keep us all posted on your progress!!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

For anyone interested, I posted a video while explaining the dollhouse of my ObservaShed. I designed the shed in Sketchup and cut the dollhouse at 1:8 scale on my PP ver 1.5.
    By the way, at 1:8 scale, the thickness of the FFF approximates the scale thickness of a 2X4 or 2X6, so the model also gives me a "feel" for the stiffness of some of the structural elements. :geek:

Attached files [​IMG]

9. kram242

Dennis,
    Heck of a nice job! Its so cool that you were able to build this model before you get into the complexity's of the dome addition.
    I have to tell you this video was great, I really enjoyed watching and seeing the design come to life as you added the parts. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Great job!
    Mark

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Thanks Mark, but I'm sorry I forgot to mention the PP during the video. :oops:

11. rjarois

Dorsal, very cleaver to make a model on your phlatty...thats a big weakness of mine, i lack the ability to pre-plan and just build as i go. making big mistakes sometimes as i go. i suppose I'm a better problem solver than a planner. lols. great job man....i can see you wont be long now...randy.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Randy, I'm impatient enough that I usually do things that way also, but the cold and rainy weather has forced me to leave the tarp over the shed and think about what needed to be done still. I can think better in pictures, so I decided to work on my drawings, but then I realized I needed to see what I was doing and remembered the PP is really great at making things exactly to scale.
    I'll probably never finish the Sketchup model or the dollhouse, because sometime before I get the last nail hammered I won't need either of them.

13. kram242

14. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Hey Mark, I was looking at that. Having a section of a geodesic for the dome would be pretty cool - I wonder if I could hinge one hexagon forward and one hexagon upward to make the opening for the telescope to see? I guess I'll have to make a model and try it, eh? :cool:
    Thanks for posting it. :)

15. kram242

I think it would work! Once you make the model you could see where you would be able to frame out an opening for the telescope.
    Mark

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Here's a quick "walkabout" of the nearly completed exterior of my Observ-a-shop, with a glimpse at the well-unfinished interior.
    :)

17. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Wow! It's coming along great! Looking forward to seeing the inside when you get that finished.

18. kram242

Looks great Dennis! :D The finishing always seems to take the longest with any construction project. You are really moving along quickly.
    Nice job!
    Mark and Trish

19. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

lol ! Thanks guyz!