1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Need Help with trainer sketchup to phlatcode

Discussion in '* Scratch Built Section *' started by vrealm, Jan 22, 2010.

1. vrealm

vrealm Member

Hello Gentlemen, I have just spent the last four hours drawing up this fine trainer design for my son. It should resemble a shark and i based it off of a design i found on RC groups. At this point I need some direction to the next steps to go from my drawing to phlatcode. I would also like to create a 3D representation.

Thanks Attached files shark.skp (186.5 KB)Â

2. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

3. vrealm

vrealm Member

Thanks! Kwok, I did watch the video but I am not the sharpest crayon in the box. Your videos helped tremendously. Please review my 3d model, I think it will work. I am having trouble when aligning the parts for the 3d model and I noticed in the video you were "locking" the corners. Could you explain this as I was not able to use it.

Thanks again for your help. Attached files 3dshark.skp (392.9 KB)Â [​IMG]

4. vrealm

vrealm Member

Updated the drawing and 3d model

I am still having alott of difficulty lining things up in the 3d model. I also want to add a fold 6 inches from each wing tip for poly dihedral, add a cut for carbon fiber in the wing, and add a angled cut for the rudder. Attached files 3dshark2.skp (734.4 KB)Â [​IMG]

5. vrealm

vrealm Member

I decide to cut it out to see how things looked... to my surprise it's not all that bad.

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

There are a couple concerns even though I like the concept. Mid motor and short nose will prob cause you some CoG problems and the fins being so large and in front of/on top of the wing area may cause some problems.
    I suggest making the shark fins smaller and moving the motor out to the front.

I made some changes that I think would work better as a trainer platform for you, check it out and see if you think this would work better for you Attached files 3dshark2edit.skp (715.3 KB)Â

7. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Did another video for you. :) -Kwok
    (video deleted)

8. vrealm

vrealm Member

Thanks again Kwok, I will apply what you demonstrated in the video. My problem was definitely from not zooming in and using the xray view. I can see the advantages that makes.

Jeff thanks for your advice, the changes look great. When you get a chance please explain how you added the dihedral to the ends of the wing.

9. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

vrealm, you draw the wing than you decide where you want the dihedral to begin. you make a fold-line there, set to maybe 30% depth. Make a template printed on the Phlaty and use it to get the angle that you want and apply two or three dubs of hot-melt glue in the open side of the fold-line.

10. vrealm

vrealm Member

Thanks for the help Yoram. I believe I understand how to do it with the phlatscript (will attempt it today) but i would like to understand how to do it in the 3d model. I also have another drawing I started and it has a undercamber wing that goes through the wing. I am also struggling with the cuts needed on each side of the fuselage where the wing will go through.

11. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Basically I just cut the tips off the wing and make them a separate component, then just rotate them to the desired angle and mate them to the wing.
    That is just for the 3-D drawing, on the cut file the wing is all one piece with a fold line where I want to the dihederal.

12. vrealm

vrealm Member

Thanks Jeff, I think I get it now. My latest version is below, I think I am finally getting a handle on things.

Attached files [​IMG]

13. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Looking good vrealm!
    Mark