1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

New steppers Wierd Problem...

Discussion in 'Trouble Shooting - Support - Help Section' started by Klondar, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Klondar

Klondar Member

Ok,

After fighting problems on my Y and Z gantry's I decided to break down and get a set of the Vextra's from MPJA. I drilled and tapped them for 1/4-20 and the install was quick and easy. Once done, X is un beleiveable - 900+ ipm. Y runs (belt mod) easily the same, and 100% realiable. Z on the other hand, is a whole other animal. Before the change, I ran stock steppers with 3/8 - 12 acme screw, and got about 20 ipm but no mater what there were occasional lost steps. After much tweaking of the rails, and screw alignment, and anything else I could think of. It finally drove me to think the new stepper would solve all my issues. After Installing the new stepper, I can get it to run a little faster, like 25 or so, but more annoying is that it dosn't always run the right direction or changes direction while it's traversing.

So my question, If my gantry/screw is binding would I see this behaviour or should I be looking at somthing else? This is not a problem I have had, so it is perplexing to say the least...

-Glen

2. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

Klondar, first thing i would do is swap the z chip with the x and try out. i just had a chip go bad on my machine, and they act real weird when they go.... also i just have acme screws, "no belts" and for me the steppers perform better with the controller board set-up on 1/4 step mode. if you figure it out you really don't loose much resolution, and you gain a lil stepper torque. any and all of my troubles were linked to bad control axis chips, at least for me...good luck with your trouble shoot. please report back with your solution. randy.

3. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Yeah I agree with Randy. It sounds like the Z chip could be going bad.
    Also make sure all the connections are good.

4. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Instead of actually swapping the chips to test, could you just swap the channel and change the pin assignment in Mach3?

5. Klondar

Klondar Member

I can try that, I am using a diffrent board and have a spare channel, so I can give that a go, But I thought I remembered somone having simular problems, but couldn't find them, although it may have been on cnc zone... Would having +/- crossed on one phase do this? Not sure thats whats up but this is the only motor I didn't think to double check how things were wired. I'm just trynig to avoid pulling this thing apart yet another time... :)

6. Klondar

Klondar Member

Ok, I've checked the wireing, it's ok, and hooked it up to the 4th channel and get the same result. Would binding cause this behiviour??

-Glen

7. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I've never tried it, but I've read swapping the two wire of a phase just reverses the direction of the motor.

8. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I think I remember someone else having a similar problem like this where the stepper motor just decided to go the wrong direction on its own. Problem is I can't remember who or what they did to fix it.
    Another idea is to make sure the right amount of current is going into the stepper.

9. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Glen, I see you are using the ColdfusionX board.
    I found a thread where 7up was having issues like this and I think it may be of some help.
    viewtopic.php?f=105&t=922&p=7697&hilit=wrong+direction#p7822
    I do not have that board so its hard to try to trouble shoot it. But the basics are the same on most boards.
    I would say it was the driver chip at first instinct but after you moved it to a new axis and found that it is doing the same thing, you may want to check the resistance on your steppers to see if you have a bad one.
    Please let us know what you find out on this, knowledge about boards other then the boards we may be using, is helpful as well.
    Thank you
    Mark

10. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Yes it was me having that problem. I tried new chips, axis swap, new steppers, bought the Coldfusion board, even bought a new EZ-CNC board and still had the same problem you are having.

Well after changing everything but one simple thing, the (4) conductor wire going to my Z axis was bad. All four wires checked good on my VOM (ohm meter) for both continuity and for shorts, however after replacing that wire I haven't had a single problem.

Your problem may be something else but you describe the exact issue I was having.

Hope you get it figured out.

-Buk

11. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

I had similar problems with my Z axis.

I ended up removing the gantry and installing stainless steel rods with oilite bearings, 3/8 Acme thread drive, and a good quality coupler.

I still can't push much over 25 with a Vextra 166 but it is consistent and does not miss any steps now so I am happy with it.

You want to exhaust all of your options before going this route. Make sure you do not have any loose connections from the board to the stepper and that your wire diameter is sufficient to carry the load.

12. Klondar

Klondar Member

The wire, not that would make since, I'll bet I have a pinched or broken strand. Time to find a new peice. It also may be that the stock wire is not heavy enough for the current we are using without causing a voltage drop. So the new peice will be heaver as well...

I'll let you know how It works out.

-Glen

13. Klondar

Klondar Member

Ok, Runng throught a dry run psudo-cut now to make sure we get back to zero in the end, But I'm 100% positive that I had a bad wire. I triple checked connections, and it mde no diffrence, but I but in a new legnth of wire and we are now looking like this thing is going to be 100% solid right where I want it. I still can't get over the 900+ rapids on x & y...

-Glen

14. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Great Glen, glad to hear it.

15. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Glad to see you're up and running again. Don't be too concerned about obtaining high speed rapids. I was able at one time to run 1200ipm but have since toned it down to 500ipm just because it is really too fast if you have lite ply or other materials that you want to cut.

You can get slippage in the roller at high speed and it just won't make that much difference in the long run. Plus, you have to remember to set a reasonable feed rate in your cut files once your machine is capable of obtaining faster rates as the different bits and dremel speeds and material will all dictate it.