1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Odd lines when making outside cut.

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Bugs' started by mrjoshua, Jun 3, 2015.

1. mrjoshua

mrjoshua New Member

Need some help in SU Make 2015, when I select "outside cut" a cut is created through the piece and extending indefinitely to the left and right. Also, the bottom notch extends down instead of following the edge contour. The slots measure .063" and I have the bit diameter set to .0624". I've tried setting the bit diameter to a smaller setting and no change. Also, I've tried re-flattening the piece, redrawing in half and mirroring the half to be sure each side is the exact same. The former originated from a R13 dwg. created in Drafsight. In Draftsight, all of the lines were converted to polylines on a single layer. I've got 14 formers in the fuselage and all have small slots in them and all seem to do this same thing. Any thoughts, am I doing something wrong here? I've attached the skp. file, hopefully it works. Thanks for any help.

Josh

upload_2015-6-3_8-47-7.png

Attached Files:

2. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Josh, the problem seems to be that the slots are not 100% on the red/green axis. I erased the slots and redrew them and now it's OK as you can see in the attached file. Also, look how I did it. I used small lines, off a short distance from the part I want to draw, as guide for the exact depth and then I drew the slot.

Attached Files:

3. mrjoshua

mrjoshua New Member

Thanks TigerPilot! I'm curious why they have to be perfectly perpendicular (square) when there are many lines that are not, and there traced correctly? I thought for sure I had some extra lines that I wasn't seeing or something wasn't "flat" enough.

4. mrjoshua

mrjoshua New Member

Also, when I do the inside cuts on that same piece, the inside space does not turn white and therefore does not show up on the gplot. And the outside cut does not show up on the gplot either? I've got to be doing something wrong here!

5. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

The fundamental issue here is Sketchups internal measurement system. It uses decimal inches and does comparisons with a tolerance of 0.001" (I only found this out recently myself when trying to figure out the new pocketing routines when "if (x1 == X2)" returned true for values that were actually not equal but 'displayed' as the same value)

You have set your bit to 0.0624" and the slots are 0.063" wide. Sketchup thinks this is 'equal'.
    If you set the bit to 0.061 it works just fine, but of course your part will come out slightly 'small' by 0.0015"

The inside cuts not making a white face indicates that somewhere the corners are 'wrapping;' and creating spurs so the cutline is not a continuous loop. aha, slots that are 0.063" are preventing the cutline making a loop. same thing as above, right?
    you can work around it by drawing a line where you want the slot cut, then making a separate face from the rest of the cut.
    set the line as a 'centerline cut' and use an inside cut on the other part, as in the image below skslot.jpg

6. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

for the outside slots you can leave the bit at 0.0625 and redraw the slots like this...
    skmoreslots2.jpg
    which all results in a cut like this....
    skmoreslots.jpg

7. mrjoshua

mrjoshua New Member

Awesome, thanks Swarfer!