1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Pass depth with cnc router

Discussion in 'Sketchup Help' started by techguy, Mar 1, 2011.

1. techguy

techguy New Member

I plan on using SketchUp with the Phlatscript g-code plugin with a cnc router using mach 3. I was just wondering if there is a way to set a pass depth? Any help would be appreciated.

2. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Hi Techguy, and welcome

Yes there is an option to set the multi-pass depth. It will then determine how many passes are required based on the thickness of the material entered. The material thickness has 2 fields that determine it's perceived thickness. I believe this is to allow for the waviness in FFF. The material field itself that is in units, and another (Overcut) that is entered in percentage of the thickness field.

There's a screen shot in the second post here ---> viewtopic.php?f=100&t=2598

3. techguy

techguy New Member

Thank you for the quick response and answer! I have another question. If I set a bit diameter of 3/4" and then use the inside cut tool on a circle it puts a red circle 3/4" around the circle. My assumption is that the circle is going to be bigger (1.5") than I want. Is there a setting to account for the bit diameter?

4. rcav8r

The script will adjust for the kerf of the bit diameter that is entered.

5. Tweakie

Tweakie Member

Just like to add that Mach3 also has a multipass wizard which allows you to specify cut depth then mods the GCode accordingly.

Tweakie.

6. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Another thing I would recommend is click on the ? in the phlatscript. It will explain what the functions do.

7. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

@ techguy I'm not sure what you mean, you said you use the INSIDE CUT tool and it puts a circle AROUND the circle you selected? Now if you meant the OUTSIDE CUT tool then Yes from what you discribed it would be too big of a circle, the offset cut line should only be 3/8 (.375) away from the original circle if you use a 3/4 (.750) bit. Maybe an example screenshot would help?

8. techguy

techguy New Member

I created a simple sketchup which is just a 3/4" piece of material (5" x 12") and i'm trying to cut two circles through it. I click on the phlat inside cut tool and when i position the mouse over the circle a red circle appears around it, I expected it to be inside it. My tool is 3/4" so the circle is 3/8" over on two sides.

The outside cut tool places the red circle on the inside...

9. techguy

techguy New Member

I should have added that when I click on the circle using the inside cut tool what appears to be the cut circle is on the outside. Maybe there is a setting I am missing?

10. 3DMON

This is the inside cut tool. Is this what you are using?

The only other thing is if your shift key is somehow stuck. When using the shift key it will make the cut line go on the opposite side of where you want it. Attached files [​IMG]

11. rcav8r

Also the faces could be reversed. Right click on the face and select Reverse Faces. Then try the Inside cut tool. For me reversed face inverts the cut tools.

12. 3DMON

I bet that is what it is. You probably have the face reversed. Good one rcav8r. :idea: I forgot about that one.

13. techguy

techguy New Member

That's the one I am using. I tried a new file and found that if I only create a "flat" rectangle and then put my circles on it the inside cut tool puts the cutter on the inside. If i use the push/pull tool to give the material depth (3/4") then I get the issue.

Does that make more sense? Should I only be using flat shapes?

14. rcav8r

Yes flat shapes for making CNC files. To make the circle in the square, make the square an outside cut, and the circle an inside. The circle needs to be it's own face. Sometimes the piece within the piece isn't To check for this, click inside the circle, and see if it's face only is highlighted.

15. rcav8r

Hay even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then :D

16. techguy

techguy New Member

HUGE thanks guys! I created a flat shape and the inside/outside cut tool looked better. I then created the g code and cut out the part on my router. WOW!! I'm going to have a lot of fun with this.