1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Phlat3D Q A

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Related Software' started by 7up, Dec 27, 2010.

1. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

I asked this question in another thread but no luck.

I see others creating and coding 3D fuse halves and milling the inside of the fuse. I understand this process if you are creating a mold. I have never tried milling yet but it seems to me that in creating a 3D fuse, wouldn't you mill the outside shape of the fuse sides, hollow out the centers, either by hand or milling, then join the two parts and sand?

I may have it all wrong, that is why I'd like to know how others are doing this process?

Thanks

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Good question Buk :)
    For me I have been working on a lot of vacuumed formed stuff so I make the negative molds for them (not having to worry about the centers being hollow) and cast them using plaster for the Phlatformer for instance the heli canopy. In this example you will see a 3D two sided mold that could have been two single sided molds as well.
    viewtopic.php?f=185&t=2370#p24647

Now for the 3D planes that you want out of foam there are a couple of ways I can think of to go about it so far.
    One way is like you said carve the out side half and then carve the inside by hand or even flip the part over and carve out the opposite side as well like Jovian shows here:
    viewtopic.php?f=185&t=2370&start=25#p24952

Another is to slice the model into 3D sections which gives you the inside and outside of the parts once stacked back together. An example of this is ET's G6 design here:
    viewtopic.php?f=267&t=2329&p=24013&hilit=Evil+Tunes+G6#p23994

These are just a couple ways that I have found to do this.
    I am sure there are more ways and look forward to seeing them
    One way I would like to see tried is a 2 part mold with 2 part foam placed in a rotomolder leaving a thin layer of foam but a hollow interior :) That would be a great project to take on.
    Thanks
    Mark and Trish