1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

PhlatJak

Discussion in 'Single Wing Aircraft Plans' started by 7up, Dec 16, 2008.

1. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

2. 7up

3. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Pretty slick looking little airplane. I can't figure out how I have missed this one. Will this cut okay on 6mm Depron or is it a 3mm plane? I am not having any luck at all with blue, or pink fff on my MKII.

Chuck
    ...somewhere in Indiana...

4. 7up

Thanks Chuck, it is setup for 1'4" foam using a 1/8" bit so it should cut fine with 6mm depron.

5. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Sold! I just grabbed that one for the second time around. ;)

6. Chuck

Chuck New Member

7up (or anyone), would a 24gm blue wonder motor be a good choice for this plane? I was going to consider a 24gm outrunner, a 12 to 15 amp ESP and maybe even a 2S 7.4v lipo. I am anxious to build this little plane. Having trouble getting it on white depron (stock available sheets are too short). I have some black depron which is nice but very hard to decorate.
    Great looking little airplane!

Chuck

7. Chuck

Chuck New Member

I forgot to ask. Has anyone cut and assembled one of these planes yet? I cut one out today (6mm depron) and it looks like some of the pieces do not want to fit right. I am talking mainly about the tail feathers. The slots in the horizontal and vertical stab seem too short to slide the horiz in far enough so the rudder will attach to the te. On my cut, the very end of the fuse seems about a quarter of an inch short and does not meet the vertical stab in a straight line. Could me my machine is goofing up a little. I checkes calibration and it is okay. I can correct these problems with spare foam and a good knife, so no big deal. I was simply wondering if anyone else had the same problems.

Chuck

8. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Hey Chuck,
    The 24gm blue wonder should be a great power setup for this plane. I use the 1300kv on my Lil' Ripper with a 9x4.7 slowfly prop with a 3s 800mah pack. Hovers at half throttle no problem. If your wanting to go 2s you might need a bigger prop maybe a 10 or 11x4.7.

9. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Shaun, I tested a motor (I think is was a 1300kv, they are not marked) on a 3S today and it got pretty hot so I figured the motor would not handle it. I put on a 2S and it ran cool as can be. Not as fast, mind you, but cooler. I also have a 1500kv and some 1700kv's and even one 3000kv. Normally, will a 1300kv handle three cells okay?

Chuck

10. 7up

Hi Chuck, sorry for slow reply, I'm still bogged down from the holiday weekend.

The BW should be perfect for this plane, however you are the first I know of who has tried it. Using a 2S pack you shpuld be able to use a 10 or even 11" slow flyer prop for maximum torque and 3D flying. With 3S use a smaller prop, maybe a 8" or possibly a 7". Same concept with the Kv. Higher Kv = smaller prop, lower Kv = bigger prop.

Your machine is spot on. After reading your postI went back and checked the files. The H-stab needed about 1/4" deeper cutout where it attaches to the fuse. I corrected that, added a bit more rudder and added more elevater clearance in the rudder cutut.

I re-coded the file with PS v9.23 and it made a much cleaner file. I'll post the new files asap and I plan on building one this morning. Let us know how it goes.

11. 7up

UPDATED files in Post #1

12. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Just as 7up said, and no mine doesn't get hot at all on 3s with a 9x4.7 prop.
    Maybe the kv is higher than you thought on that motor?

13. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Thanks for the updated cut file. I am dying to get one of these little planes going. I will finish the one as it was done originally. I made necessary modifications to make it work. It will be much, much simpler with the update though. I will go with the blue wonder and a 2S lipo to begin with and see how it does. Thanks again!

Chuck

14. 7up

Sounds good. I just cut one out, gonna do some glide test and hopefully slap a 1300 BW, a 10x3.8 prop and a 2S and probably do some crashing.

When I get it flying I'm gonna try a 50% Kf top step and see what happens

-Buk

15. Chuck

Chuck New Member

The KF top step should help. I put a much smaller (only to the carbon rod from the LE) 3mm foam doubler on the bottom of the wing to add a little strength. It is my understanding that this also represents a KF although a small one. For some strange reason, whether the KF is on the top or on the bottom does not seem to matter much. Please let us (me) know how it does when you do it. Next time, if it works, I will do the same. Thanks!

Chuck

16. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Chuck, the KF step on the top should be 50% for best results and on the bottom 40%. That's what I've read on other places.

17. Chuck

Chuck New Member

I finished the PhlatJak. I cannot use a 2S lipo because I cannot get the plane to balance - not enough weight up front. So, I plugged in a 1000 mAh 3S and it looks better now. Plane is ready to maiden. I think I need to take a couple of photos before that event. I ran the 24gm motor on the 3S again and this time it did not heat up. Maybe can get a photo on here tomorrow before we fly in Saturday.

Chuck

Oh, Yoram, that is what I have read about KF's also. The small one I have on this little plane really only serves to strengthen the wing and prevent too much movement. Thanks.

18. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

If the motor heats up you need to prop it down

19. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Hey Buk. Nice plane sir :p Just got done taping it up. Just needs the hardware and I am good to go. 100 big ones say's Brian confiscates this bad boy! :lol:

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. 7up

Thanks frank, tell Brian to get his own :D

I like the red and black paint.

I built one today myself. Maybe I'll get to try it out tomorrow. Looks like you did a great job building it. I found a couple spots that I need to improve on the plans. The Motor mount section needs some work. One of those Phlatformed motor mount/nose protector pieces would be perfect for this.

Chuck,
    I hadn't considered a 2S not being heavy enough to balance the plane out. I plan on starting the CG at about 30% of the wing chord and work from that. I have a couple ideas on making the rear portion of the plane lighter that I will try.

21. 7up

After a few glide tests a good CG starting point is 5-3/4" from the nose of the plane with balance point taken at the fuse. I will change the plans so that this will be the new location for the spar cut-out.

Adjust for your style of flying. Attached files [​IMG]

22. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

cool thanks Buk. I'm going out in a bit and work that out. ;)

23. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Okay guys, I finished and flew the PhlatJak. It did really well. I used a 3S to increase the nose weight and kinda jammed all the wiring up forward (see attached photos). Power is a 1500KV 24gm Blue Wonder outrunner. I also upgraded the ESC to a higher amp to increase the nose weight. This is probably not a bad idea in any case. Prop is 8x3.8. I guestimated the CG at about 30% from the leading edge, seemed to work okay. This little plane is nimble, fast and damned good looking. Good Job! Here are just two photos...

Chuck
    ...somewhere in Indiana... Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

24. 7up

Very cool Chuck! I love the paint job, the graphics are awesome.

I plan on having my son try mine tomorrow, maybe. I have it ready and balanced it with a 2S 1000mah Zippy. I have a 1300Kv BW and 10A esc and 9g servos in the wings.

Mine looks generic compared to yours and Franks. Guess I will have to paint it now.

Are the graphics on yours print-outs and glued on?

Nice job.

-Buk

25. Chuck

Chuck New Member

The graphics are colored packing tape (2" wide). It is very, very light and has great adhesion. It will not come off but if you want to pull it off it does not damage anything and will actually stick back down. The down side is that it is thin enough that it will not cover dark surfaces such as grey Depron very well. It does great on white Depron. It is available a lot of places...white, black, green, blue, orange, yellow, red, purple. The blue canopy was painted with acrylic craft paints. I am thinking I should have used 5gm servos in the plane, that would have helped to balance it and they probably would have been strong enough.
    The PhlatJak will fit nicely onto a available sheet of grey (black) Depron. I certainly wish it was re-done to fit on a sheet of White Depron which is only (I think) 38" long. That is all they offer it in. If I knew how to work SketchUp, I would move the parts around and jam them a little closer together so the white would work. I think I would only need to gain about 3 or 4". I would even opt to put it onto two sheets and then a KF doubler could be added for under (or over) the wing.
    Thank you for the compliments. This is a nice, eye=catching airplane and designing it with the wing as a part of the flat fuselage as in the SDGEEBEE is a great idea. Imagine one of these at 150% which would yield about a 48" wingspan! A guy could use 9mm Depron or even EPP which I don't happen to like to work with.
    Be sure to post a photo of your when finished. I love to look at what people do.

Thanks for all your work on this neat little plane.

Chuck