1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Phlatprinter Rollers - Sanding Roll Cloth

Discussion in 'Original Phlatprinter MODIFICATIONS' started by s009smj, Oct 6, 2009.

1. s009smj

s009smj New Member

Hello everyone.

I wanted to share with you all another option for roller grit for the original phlatprinter and the MKII.

Below are a couple pictures of the method and material used on our phlatprinter.
    Basically the sanding cloth was glued on using 3M super 77 spray adhesive then the ends where folded into slots cut in the roller.

Not a bad deal for $3.50. One 10 foot peice does the main roller.
    We went with 100 grit and with the pressure roller mod seems to work great.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/3-x-10- ... loth/G3073

For a better bite into the foam 80 or 60 grit would do the trick.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/3-x-10- ... loth/G3072
    http://grizzly.com/products/3-x-10-Sand ... loth/G3071

We also used the 3 inch wide for the smaller top rollers however I recommend using
    one that is less than 3 inchies wide. The 3 inch wide doesn't like to make the turns on the small OD pipe.

The more flexible 1 or 2 inch wide sanding roll would work winding on the top rollers.
    http://grizzly.com/products/1-x-30-Sand ... loth/G4398

Do can buy this from lots of sources just do a search for "sanding roll cloth".

Scott

Cincinnati Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Nice!! I love the surfaced top. What did you use for that?

3. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

s009smj, nice mod...by using that material you have a big varity of grits...randy.

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

s009smj, Really nice job guys! this is a great mod.
    I just re-skinned my roller last night (I had WD-40 get on the roller and was getting some slipping) and I would have tried this one out. I am sure I will get the chance again though with all the experimenting going on here. :lol:
    This is a really great inexpensive way to make a grip roller, looks cool too ;) Way to go! :D
    Thank you for posting and for the links
    Mark Attached files EEPT.pdf (1003.5 KB)Â

5. FozzyTheBear

FozzyTheBear Member

Oh!! That's a cool idea Scott... I like that. I've got big rolls of emery paper in the shop. I'll have to remember that one... The other good thing there is that by spiral wrapping it you don't get the seams that you do with the grip tape strips. That said, there'd be nothing stopping the grip tape being fitted that way either... Hmmmm I might have a think about doing that at some point.

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

6. iflyos

iflyos Member

Do you notice any problems with the foam not tracking straight, because of the spiral wrap of the emery cloth?

This looks like a pretty neat way to easily resurface the drive and pressure rollers!

I might have to look into this!!

Tim
    AG4RZ

7. s009smj

s009smj New Member

Honestly I'm not sure what this top is. We were give a piece from a buddy that had some of this laying around. We found the perfect use. I think that it's around 3/16 inch thick. I try and get some more info...

8. s009smj

s009smj New Member

I had the same thought, but the seems do not effect it. Seems to track perfectly straight. Thanks scott Attached files X_Stepper Mount.skp (168.7 KB)Â