1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Phlatscript Version 0.918 Chat

Discussion in 'SketchUcam DOWNLOAD' started by tvcasualty, Dec 8, 2008.

1. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Using the command:
    [pre]dos2unix -d -b yourfile.rb[/pre]
    each file can be converted so that it will also run on a linux OS using wine to run SU.

Attached is the script converted as such... Attached files phlatscript_v910.zip (60.6 KB)Â

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

This plugin is Nice! I love the new additions.

The centerline edge is a cool add on, this will make adding designs in your planes easy.

I like being able to change tab depths, that was something I had to originally change in the script every time I wanted a different thickness. Also being able to type in the fold or center line depth amount instead of using the standard %'s is great!

The safe area tool is convenient too. It looks like you don't have to make sure everything is at the origin as long as you put the safe tool around your parts to be cut.

Thank You Pete for all your hard work you have put into this!

3. firetrappe

firetrappe Member

WooHoo!!! This is the best Christmas present I could have wished for. I haven't tried it yet, but i'd still like to say thanks to Mark, Trish and especially Pete for all their hard work. I don't know how you do it Pete, but it really is appreciated! THANKS!

Si.

4. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Praise Pete! Thanks!

5. dz1sfb

dz1sfb Member

Very cool! I really like the dialog for setting up parameters, and the safe area is alot nicer than the template.

I know this stuff is a labor of love.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Ken :p

6. 7up

Possible bug

I keep getting this error every time I try and use the "Centerline" tool. :(

"Exception in EdgeUtil.EdgeUtils undefined method `+' for nil:NilClass"

Tried it in SU6 and SU7

7. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Hey guys,
    Well I found out today that Pete had to go to the ER! He got his hand caught up in a machine. I have not had a chance to talk to him, we email him to make sure that everything is ok and we are waiting to hear back. We (or he) will let you guys know whats going on.
    I do know that he went in to work today and then left from there to go get his hand checked out.
    Keep him and his family in your prayers tonight, as he makes his living using his hands.
    Thank you all.
    Mark & Trish

8. 3DMON

Ouch!
    I remember when I was a Moldmaker appretice in a machine shop, hearing all the horror stories like that. I was fortunate not to see any of them happen to me or others when I was there.
    I will keep Pete in my prayers.

Shaun

9. kram242

Thanks 3DMON,
    I just received an emal from Pete and he is ok! :oops: I had no idea if it was really bad or not but now we know its not as bad it had seemed. He is going to lose his finger-nail though :(

Mark

10. 7up

Whew... (sigh). Hate to hear of Pete's accident but glad to hear he is OK.

Watch those digits Pete! :eek:

11. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

It may be just me but I'd like to have a button, in the window that comes up when you press the g-code button, that says 'brows' and that will store the file where I want it, without me having to type it, and that it will remember my selection.

Yoram

12. firetrappe

firetrappe Member

Glad to hear Pete's injury wasn't too serious, it still sucks though :(

I've been playing with the new script and I really like the new features. The ability to remove and adjust Phlatboys Edges are great, before I was having to reload an old file and start from scratch to modify tabs etc.

I do have a query about the 'centerline tool'... If I draw a circle and apply a centerline to it, the gcode toolpath seems very inefficient. Mach3 will move to the first line segment, cut that line and then travel to a line on the opposite side of the circle to cut that one. If you try it and load it into Mach you will see a circle with a star pattern inside. I tried converting the circle to a polyline but it didn't seem to make much difference.
    Has anyone worked out how to make a centerline cut follow a path like the inside and outside cuts work at present?

Si.

13. 3DMON

Mine worked fine on a circle. I'm still using SU 6 though.

Also glad to hear Pete's ok.

14. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

Oh my, glad to hear Pete is ok. Having spent time on a farm reading the words 'caught up in a machine' gave me a sick feeling.

I'll try out the new plugin today. Looking forward to it.

15. firetrappe

firetrappe Member

Hmm, I'm using SU6 too, i'll have to give it another go and work out what i'm doing wrong.

16. rayclark

rayclark Member

I agree....That would be great.

17. firetrappe

firetrappe Member

I figured out what I was doing differently with the centerline tool. I was using the contextual (right-click) menu. Using this creates a different toolpath compared to using the toolbar icon. I used the toolbar icon to add a centerline to a circle and it worked fine.

18. kram242

If you select a lot of lines that you want to be fold lines or center lines. You can now right -click on them and make them all folds or center lines at once :mrgreen:

19. firetrappe

firetrappe Member

That's what I was trying Mark, it's a cool feature, but unfortunately it appears to randomly generate the cutting order of each line.

The screenshot below shows to toolpath of a circle that I right-clicked and selected 'centerline'.

Si.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

I'm glad Pete's hand turned out okay - a machinist friend damaged his thumb setting a 400# part in a lathe-chuck at work nearly 4 years ago, and I don't think he's worked in a machine shop since. He lost his thumbnail too - and the use of the thumb. :(

21. kram242

firetrappe, that is because you are selecting a line that should be an outside edge as a centerline(I think) use of the centerline tool would be if you had that same circle set up as youroutside cut and then on the inside area of the circle you have text or graphics of some sort then you could select the inside text/graphic and make it a centerline cut at the depth you pick. The same would apply to fold cuts.
    In other words it looks like to me that the center line tool and the fold tool have to inside of an object to work?
    Not sure if I am right or not about this but it did work for me in this little example.
    As for cutting orders Pete has then cutting the center and fold lines first and then the middle cutouts(holes) finally the outside lines. It will use this rule only if they are all contained within the same group(not components) That is working good. One really nice feature that Pete is trying to figure out, is how to get each one of those lines within a section (say fold lines) to cut in order themselves from left to right then move on to (say holes) and cut all the hole form left to right as well. That will make for a clean working and looking design in Mach and for the final cutout.
    Also keep in mind that the centerline tool is new so it may be that Pete did not know it is breaking all the line segments at their starts and ends and jumping from one to another.

22. firetrappe

firetrappe Member

Thanks for the reply Mark. Please don't think I am complaining, i'm really pleased with the script and amazed at what we can actually do with it. Most companies charge a fortune for these type of addons and have a whole team of people coding them! Pete must be super-human :) .

I should have posted a screenshot of the toolpath created using the same circle but using the left-click method to apply the centerline. Doing it that way worked perfectly. I was just pointing out that the two different methods of applying a centerline edge behaved differently on the same object.

The reason that i'm playing with the new centerline tool is to try and develop a method of creating 'pockets' manually. I'm working on getting the Phlatprinter to produce 'milled airfames' as shown in the photo below.
    These take hours to mill by hand, and if I can figure out a way of doing it with the Phlatty right out of Sketchup in one pass then it will be a huge bonus. I'm getting there slowly, and i'll post my method when I crack it.

Cheers,
    Si.

23. kram242

I call this progress not complaining :mrgreen:
    BTW that is too cool looking!

" method of creating 'pockets' manually."
    That is one of the future wishes of what we added to the list! It would be too cool, and a step in the direction of total 3D cam system for Sketchup!
    maybe I will create a poll for what everyone is looking for and we can focus on thoses things first.

If you guys want to post a list of the things you would like to see in future PhlatScript releases post them here. when we get enough (25) that I will pick (poll limit) I will create a poll that we can all reference.

24. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

You will be able to make more than one choice in the poll, right?

Yoram

25. 3DMON

Pocket cuts definately. That would be awesome.