1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

PhlatStand

Discussion in 'Original Phlatprinter MODIFICATIONS' started by rcav8r, Feb 14, 2009.

1. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Not really a mod, but not sure where to post this....
    Here is a stand I made for my PhlatPrinter. After looking at home built CNC machines for years one of the things that I really liked about the PhlatPrinter ( other than the tremendous support on RCgroups at first then here) is how compact it is for the size of material it can cut. My shop is about average size, but I have a large build table in the middle, and some power tools and storage areas along the wall, so shop real estate was at a premium.
    Also wanting to cut balsa, and reading here and on RCG about needing an extras slippery surface for the wood to slide, I put some UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) on the top. It had a sticky back so I weighed it down over night, and trimmed to fit. The stuff is SUPER tough and I tried to trim with a dremel w/ a permagrit bit, but it didn't do a thing. I had to use a utility knife making many multiple passes. As a result the cuts were not perfect, but close enough.
    The stand:
    * As my shop is in my basement and there is a slope to the floor, so like I do for all the things I build that are going to stand on the floor, I added some lag bolts to the legs so I can adjust for level.
    * Then I built the stand from some 1x3 and 2x2s.
    * For the work surface I used some scrap waynescoat the wife had laying around.
    It has a small 30"x37" foot print.

Nothing too exciting, but it gets the job done, and the PhlatPrinter has a permanent home. I do want to add a chute for the dust so it collects in a trash can or similar. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. dbtoutfit

dbtoutfit New Member

Cool beans!

I just got my PP stand going tonight.

When I get evertything done I plan to post pics.

Nice man!

Eric

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Excellent! man this I have to make.. Thank for sharing
    I love that the monitor is setup in the same direction as the layout on the screen nice work
    Eric looking forward to your design as well.
    Mark
    Edit * You know looking over the design again, I think I have an idea for you. Maybe you could add a keyboard holder of some sort out in front of the monitor? Maybe even one that slides under the table?
    Mark

4. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Mark; I thought about making a table for the keyboard that folded down when not in use, but the keyboard gets such little use as I only use the PC for the PhlatPrinter. It's too slow and sloppy to put on the network as I'd want to put a virus scanner and stuff on it too, and that would just bog it down too much. I use sneakernet for transferring files (I just bring the CNC files from my good PC to this one via a USB memory stick)
    I just fold the front table up when/if I need to use the Kbd

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

rcav8r, you've got enough room in your workshop to have a separate stand just for your pp! And with a full desktop computer built in, to boot!
    I'm so jealous! :cry: :mrgreen: