1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Planet CNC-USB Controller/Software Questions?

Discussion in 'Planet CNC USB Controller Card' started by kram242, Sep 30, 2010.

1. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CNC motion controller is a link between personal computer and drivers for stepper motors. It uses USB port which is available on all modern computers and laptops. This is a complete (software/hardware) solution and it does NOT require any additional software (Mach3 is NOT needed).
    USB CNC controller is compatible with most step/dir drivers. It has the same pinout as popular PICStep and PMinMO drivers. It can be used as direct replacement for many parallel port break-out boards. Finished and ready to use controllers are available in my shop. There is also a DIY version if you want to build one yourself.

http://www.planet-cnc.com

2. Kroko

Kroko Member

Hi all

If anybody has a question about USB controller I can help.
    This probably isn't right topic but I want to offer my assistance and help.

Regards
    Andrej

3. kram242

Very cool Andrej :D Thank you
    Mark and Trish

4. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Hi Andrej,
    Welcome to the forum.
    I have placed my order with Mark and Trish for the Phlatprinter and got your usb board to go with it.
    I downloaded the software and I am trying to get it to run but I am having problems.
    It will not get past the first screen where it says cnc usb motion controller. It just freezes up right there.
    I have made sure my directx and .net are what you want. I am running Windows XP. I have a 3.4 ghz dual core Pentium processor. My graphics card is 256MB Nvidia.

I attached a screenshot of where it hangs up at.
    Do you know how to fix this?
    Thanks,
    Shaun Attached files [​IMG]

5. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Andrej; THANKS for hopping on board here.
    I downloaded the trial version, and it runs REALLY slow on my OLD laptop; Are they any min sys requirements, or just basically the DirectX sys requirements? If I go this route, I'm thinking one of those netbooks for this.

Also with using a DXF file directly with the software; will the DXF have to be adjusted for the tool used prior to using, or is there a setting in the software to allow for this? Even after using SU for about 2 years now, I am still more comfortable drawing in AutoCAD, and would like to use that for the source of my cut files if possible.
    THANKS again

6. 3DMON

Minimun sys. requirements are in the manual section 1.2

7. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I had to install the "DirectX 9c for .NET" for it to work. Running winxp also. I remember thinking if that was different than regular directX? I don't remember what exactly the program did when it did not work. .net 3.5, I already had installed.

I also got an error when changing the settings from mm to inch. But it worked later. I assume it was because of my computer was rebooted.

Andrej, we had question about the software license. I couldn't find this info on your website. Can we install the software on more than one computer? For example, if we want to have it on our main desktop and a laptop. Or if we want to make a DIY controller for a second cnc machine. Can we use the same license for the 2nd controller?

Not that I can make a program, but for future reference; a question about the SDK. I think someone hinted that you had to pay to use it. Is that correct? Also, your website saids, "SDK is limited to 25 moves on DIY controllers." So 3rd party programs are no good for DIY controllers?

-Kwok

8. kram242

I talked to Andrej about this last night and he told me this was due to the fact that I had an older version of the controller. The new controller you will be able to move the card to different computers by entering in your licence file.
    Hope this helps
    Mark and Trish

9. Kroko

Kroko Member

Wow, I better go step by step.

@3DMON
    This type of crash is strange. Usualy there is a message and not just freeze.
    Did you install DirectX for .NET from my web site? DirectX libraries are very version dependand and with this install you make sure that you have correct versions.
    There will be new version available by end of weekend.

@rcav8r
    This software was not designed for old and slow computers. There are some users using small netbook computers and they are not complaining. I don't have experiance so I can not comment. I'm a bit sceptical becaust those Atom chips can't even play HD movie. I recommend you try to use it on netbook before you buy it.
    At this time, DXF will have to be drawn with tool diameter compensation. For tabs you can just insert small gaps. I'll attach an example when I'll learn how to :)

@kyyu
    This DirectX instalation makes sure, that you have correct versions of assemblies (April 2006). It includes 13 packages which you can also get from Microsoft SDK.
    Each controller has unique serial number and activation code. You can install software on more computers. It will work without limitations only with your controller.
    If you create new DIY controller then it will have different serial number and activation code. You'll need second license for this controller.
    SDK is free. But it is limited on DIY controllers. You can not make your own controller and software. If you make your own controller you must use my software. If you buy controller from me you can create your own software.

Regards
    Andrej

10. chawkiz

chawkiz New Member

hello im chawkiz from tunisia i build my cnc machine i build my driver 4A based with l6203

i build all i used mach3 also cnc3axe and Winpc-nc ( all this used lpt port)

CNC USB controller is ather & new Opportunity t Must be exploited before it can become

very expansiv ( many update corrected bug ) very simple interface usb

really i like the software it's very simple i work with it like charm

plz ask me about this softwere ( the builder kroko help me many time ) now

i seraech for some wrong or error in software but no no no problem always work good

i get my licence from kroko

and i have 3 month work with software

plz ask me about this software and hardware ok

thanks

11. kram242

Hello chawkiz,
    Welcome to the Phlatforum! :D
    Thank you for your offer of help with this awesome software package!
    Andrej has really been helpful in working with us and its nice to see others like yourself willing to help others. This is the same mentality we have here at the Phlatforum, we are all like a big family and we try to help one another out when ever we can. :)
    Mark and Trish

12. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Hi Kroko,

OK, I understand most of it, but one more question. Is the controller card itself activated or the software? Say I have 2 cnc machines, each with a licensed cnc controller card. But I only have one laptop with your software installed. Can I go from one cnc machine to the other, simply plug in the usb cable and start cutting?

The reason I ask is, it sounds like the software is licensed to each specific board. Meaning you can't use a different board without importing a new license. If that is the case, then maybe the software can be improved to have a license manager.

-Kwok

13. chawkiz

chawkiz New Member

- you have to chose -
    1er controller card activeted with licence work in all computer
    possible to uses many pc computer - here i think only 1 machine

2er software activeted work only in 1 computer and many (usb controller card fom kroko interface shematic and hex is posted )

but the best is chose (1 usb controller card work with all computer ) like me

14. Kroko

Kroko Member

Each controller requires separate license. You can have more than one license installed.
    There is no need to export/import licenses. You can export licenses to make backup and you can import them from backup or if you buy another one.

For example:
    You have 5 machines with 5 controllers. You need to have 5 licenses. If you have 10 computers import all 5 licenses on all 10 computers. You will be able to operate all 5 machines from all 10 computers.

"Computer" license is old and no longer supported for client use.

15. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Kroko,

Ok, I finally understand 100%. Thanks for clearing thing up. I had assumed you were selling 1) usb controller card 2)software. But that was my mistake, 2) is a single card license not software. Now it makes sense for the DIY card, also.

-Kwok

16. 3DMON

Kroko,

Yes I downloaded everything from your site trying to get rid of it freezing at that spot.

I installed the software on a different computer and it worked but I really need to get it to work on the original computer I tried it on.

Kwok I'm glad you understand the license thing because I still don't get it, it seems confusing.
    1. Can one software license operate multiple cards (diy or not)?
    2. Can one software license operate the software on multiple computers?

17. Kroko

Kroko Member

Program freeze indicates that something is wrong with windows instalation. In one similar case solution was to reinstall windows because a virus currupted it. In one other case windows didn't have correct motherboard and graphic card drivers installed.

1. No
    2. Yes

18. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Our phlatscript automatically generates spindle on and spindle off commands in the gcode.

I noticed that importing DXF or image files into the planet-cnc software does not automatically add spindle code.

I would like to propose a suggestion that it be included in the next release, even if only as an option.

I realize I can edit the gcode to add it, but it would make it much easier if the software did it for me.

19. Kroko

Kroko Member

On DXF import dialog, advanced/safe height there is option for spindle. If you check it M3 and M5 codes will be generated. New version which will be published later today will have even more more spindle options (general spindle, delays,...).

I'm interested in all sugestions you guys have.

20. 3DMON

Thanks for you reply back Andrej. I really don't think it's a virus problem with mine but do think there is something conflicting somewhere else. I did find an update for my video card but that didn't help.

I did some searching and found the dxdiag command to troubleshoot Direct X. My results were good on everything except the input section and the network section. Both of those sections it hung up on.
    The attached pics show what it does. I'm thinking whatever is causing this is probably where my problem is.
    What's your or anybody elses thoughts on this?

Thanks! Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

21. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Maybe you just need to re-install DirectX.

22. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Shaun, the key to understanding is, it's not a "software" license. If you go the the shop page on planet-cnc website, it clearly saids "CNC USB controller license". Nothing about buying software. Although the picture of the software there, adds to the confusion. I had also glanced over it and had assumed a software license, which is what most people are used to.

So you need to buy a license per card (including DIY). You can think of it almost like a dongle. You would then import each card license to each computer you want to use. Like the example, Kroko gave to me earlier. So you can use multiple cards on a single computer or a single card on multiple computers.

-Kwok

23. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Ahhh! Very good.

24. Kroko

Kroko Member

New version is published.

I added general spindle on/off as Flashsolutions requested. I also added option to add delays to all spindle on/off changes so that it has time to reach full speed or stop.

I also fixed axis calibration so that it works with inch units.

Andrej

25. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

THANKS... I figured my laptop was too old, but I also don't have much experience with the netbooks, so thanks for the info on those.

As far as tabs/offset in AutoCAD, I used to do this when I had stuff sent away to get laser cut. Yes I had to allow for the laser kerf. I only did this on ply as with balsa it really didn't matter. Anyway that was easy enough with the offset tool ( I think that's what it was called). Also tabbing was really easy too. I forget exactly how I did that, but I remember it was really easy and quick. I can go back to my old AutoCAD drawings and post if anyone is interested.