1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Please help with slicing a model :)

Discussion in 'Sketchup Help' started by xtremeRCpilot, Mar 20, 2011.

1. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Hi Guys, would someone be kind enough to help me slice the attached model to 3mm layers? I am not sure how to go about this or if there is another solution!! Also whatever would be the best way to layout the model is fine with me!! :p

Thanks!
    John Attached files Utility Arms.skp (191.4 KB)Â

2. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

Hi John,

From the looks it resemble a R2D2 unit utility arm. Anyway here is what I can help you with.
    Hope is god for what you want. Attached files Utility%20Arms.skp (270.4 KB)Â

3. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Watt_the....You caught me!!! This looks great !!! Would I be pushing my luck asking how the heck you did that! I have been messing with it for a while and couldnt get this thing sliced!! I have the slice modeler plug in but not sure how to use the parameters!!
    Thanks you so much!!
    John

4. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

No problem at all, you use slicer and want to have X mm slice because you foam or whatever you cut is X mm, in your case was 3mm, so I'll use 3mm example.
    First parameter is "Slice Spacing" and you use 3mm because you have 3mm foam, the second parameter is "Slice Thickness" and you will use also 3mm because you want to use all, the slices and the "spaces" between them. That why you make them equal size, in you're case 3mm.
    Then is the orientation of slicing procedure. Red is X axis, Blue is Y axis and Green is Z axis.
    If you have a model and want to use all the slices, then you use "Spacing" and "Thickness" equal with the thickness of your cutting material, foam of 3mm or 6mm or MDF of 1/4" ,etc.
    If you want to design a wing or fuse then the "Thickness" is the thickness of the material you cut and the "Space" is the total length divided by the total number of slices.
    I hope it helps you.

5. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

That is very helpful!!! I will give it a go and see how it works out!! I Was also considering doing a 3D of this part ! Thank you again for your help and "May the Force Be with You!!!! :doubleup:

John

6. Watt_the?

Watt_the? Member

Glad to help if I can and "May the Force Be with You" :good: