1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Plugin - Bitmap To Vector 3D

Discussion in 'Other Sketchup related softwares/plugins' started by marcomartim, Oct 24, 2010.

1. marcomartim

marcomartim Member

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

This looks pretty good. I need to play around with this plugin.
    Thanks for posting!

3. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Excellent! Nice find!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Cool! Thanks for posting the link! :cool:

5. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Great find! Thank you :D
    Mark and Trish

6. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

marcomartim, how do you make the 3d gcode? I saw that you've posted in that forum that you do it.

7. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Wow takes a while to do the conversion but it comes out nice :)

8. TigerPilot

I tried it but it didn't work for me. I just get a red frame with no lines or anything in it. I must have put the TT_Lib in the wrong folder. Does it goes into the Tool folder? I also left it as a folder.

Edit: Never mind. Didn't realize I had to put a value for the depth. Now it looks like it's working. It does take some time to calculate.

Edit 2: After 30min of calculation I decided to close the program. I'll have to see how to get the 250x250 pixel size that Shaun recommended.

9. 3DMON

TTlib2 folder and the mesh plugin all go into the plugins folder.

I'm having the same problem where it seems to be hanging up. It looks like you need to make your image around 250x250 pixels. My file was way bigger than that and is why I think it was hanging up.

10. 3DMON

I just got it to work. I'm impressed.
    I shrunk my .bmp file down to 250 pixels.
    In Sketchup I made the width at 2.5 and 3.5 with success. The lesser the depth the file looks better.
    The attached image is done with .010 for the depth. My first one was .150 and it didn't look as nice. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. marcomartim

marcomartim Member

Hello tigerPilot;

I do 3D gcode in the Artcam and Bmp2Cnc (I'd love to do 3D gcode in SketchUp)

The first picture I took on the topic page in http://forums.sketchucation.com.
    When I used the first time, also does not work, I even thought about quitting.
    I decided to insist a little more and could use.
    The image below was the first that I did

[​IMG]

To use, put the 2 files in the Plugins folder of SketchUP, open the program; click, enter the picture .... then click on the origin of the three axes and stretch the red rectangle in the blue axis climb the height, write (enter) the height measurement, better to use 2 or 3 mm (0,125").

Hugs

ps: If you did not understand, blame Google translator... : :? :lol:

12. TigerPilot

I tried and I tried. I used both advises. I made the picture 250pix, in SU I made the width 0.25" and the depth I made 0.01 and 0.02. I get a mesh, no faces in the mesh. If I tilt the mesh I can see that it's 3d and not a 2d mesh but I don't get it to look nothing like Marco or Shaun have.

The picture was made with 0.25" and 0.02 depth Attached files [​IMG]

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Yoram, Shaun said he made it 2.50" and 3.50" wide, with success. Why are you making yours so tiny?

14. TigerPilot

It didn't work any better on 2.5", Dennis, and Marco said to use 2-3mm, so I thought I'll try it out.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

I believe Marco is talking about the height (Z-Axis) dimension to use. It doesn't really matter to me right now anyway, since I won't actually play with this plugin until AFTER I get my 4X4 Hybrid Router running, but I thought I understood what Marco was doing until you began posting your results. I'm just trying to get my head around it all.

16. marcomartim

marcomartim Member

In all programs that convert BMP or JPG image to vector, can not put too much height on the Z axis (blue), and the outcome depends on the quality of the picture.

The best results occur when the color or gray scale are well equalized,
    Have photos that need to edit a good result in itself a program (Corel, Gimp, Photoshop. ..) Before conversion.

Hugs ...

17. TigerPilot

Maybe that was my mistake! Now that you've mentioned it, Shaun did post a black & white picture. I did it with a color pictures. I'll try to convert it to b & w in Photo Shop and see it it comes out better. Will report back here about my progress.

Is Dennis right, Marco, saying that the 2.5mm that you have mentioned refer to the 'depth' rather than the size of the picture? The size is the first input we have to put in and the depth is the second input.

18. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

This has some real potential. I scanned a coin and then did a Photoshop number on it making it b/w and a bmp. In Su I just grabbed the lines and made a square then gave it some depth and let it run. Turns out it was 75'' square and 6'' deep. :? The old quad core rendered it in about ten minutes. It's going to take some real photoshop skills to get it to work as good as usb controller software, and that g-codes :D But there are other things that this plugin could do that would really save some time. Turning a picture into usable 3d parts is what I'll try next. Nice find,Thank you

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. TigerPilot

After tonights demonstration, in the Phlatlab, of the new 3D carving plugin I decided to visit this plugin again. Turns out that it worked all the time. All I had to do was to tilt the relief with the orbit tool and I got to see the result OK. It should come out just right once we get the new plugin.

20. 3DMON

LOL. Thats great!

21. ewo

ewo Moderator Staff Member

Can someone tell me which files i need to download to use this plugin and where to put them
    I tried installing but nothing shows up in the plugin tab ?

22. ewo

Never mind....... I was too quick to ask the question.
    all i had to do was play with the right click button

I used Shawn and Noras picture to play with. I got it working

:D Attached files [​IMG]

23. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Bruce, now will you (please) tell me how you got it to work, so I can stay strong and silent and people might think knew something? :oops:
    YES, all clues will be welcomed. What folder did the files go into, where does the menu show up, right-mouse or left-mouse - you're writing for a dummy here.

24. ewo

I put the files into the sketchup plugins folder
    Then opened sketchup , imported the picture. resized it to 2.5" wide
    right click on the picture . a depth dialog apears at the bottom right of the screen

Input the depth and hit enter

25. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Thank you Bruce. Simple I can understand. I downloaded the goodies and I'll now work to get them all working. :)

(We had a number of Baha'i friends came to bring us a marvelous Persian meal, spent a few hours telling stories, sharing Love and saying Prayers of Praise and Gratitude to God. I only explain to let you know why I took so long to respond, I will never apologize for offering praise to God.)