1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Pocket milling on the Phlatprinter

Discussion in 'GENERAL Phlatprinter talk' started by dz1sfb, Jan 26, 2009.

1. dz1sfb

dz1sfb Member

Just wanted to ask if anyone has tried pocket milling in foam with their Phlatprinter? I saw this in RCGroups and thought I would come over here and ask the question.

Here is a link for reference; http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988017

It would certainly require getting more familiar with Mach3.

Ken :D

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

We have 3D and 2.5D milling done with the Phlatprinter. The Phlatscript that we use for cutting out does not allow for 3D milling (yet) but you can tell it to set the depth and create a pocket line in SketchUp for the bit to follow and it works :) a few of the guyz have been experimenting with it over here
    viewtopic.php?f=65&t=2&start=25

Also there are a ton of 3D and 2.5D examples here in the picture gallery http://www.phlatboyz.com/phlatprinter_p ... allery.php

Mark

3. dz1sfb

dz1sfb Member

Thanks for the direction Mark!

Ken :)

4. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

No problem Ken,
    I had a hard time finding that one myself I may need to start a pocketing thread under the Phlatscript section.
    Mark

5. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Funny you brought this up. I have been milling a new plane just this week. However, I am cutting all the way thru and then intend to cover the plane in Oracal vinyl similar to putting monokote on balsa plane.

My plane weighed in at 5.45 oz before milling and is now down to 4.1 oz, but I will probably add most of that back when I cover it, but it was a way to add stunning graphics while still maintaining original weight, or so I am hoping.

I would like to keep the AUW around 12oz in order to use a Vpitch prop rimfire motor.

The plane has a fuse which is 43" long and a wingspan of 36" and is being made with 6mm Depron.

As it were, my milling time is approaching 3 hours so I don't think it would be such a great idea to try to mill down just to the skin for the entire surface area. It would take an enormous amount of time unless you used a wider bit.

The methods I was reading elsewhere used a dremel and a guide system which would probably go much faster I am guessing. I am sure I could guide the router much faster than waiting for the phlatprinter to cover the same ground at 30 ipm. Attached files [​IMG]