1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Pocketing curved depth?

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by Veydron, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Veydron

Veydron New Member

Hi guys, Im totally new to this. A total newbie. Just learned how to use Sketchup 2 months back and now SketchUcam. Got myself a chinese cnc machine. Now trying to figure out how to create a toolpath for my sketch with sketchucam. The end result should look like the file I attached. Can someone shed me some lights or giving me some pointers? Just cant seem to know where to look :( It will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a million.

Attached Files:

2. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

The pocket you drew is a 3d pocket, because of the curved walls, and need a different program. While it's possible to make it in SketchUcam, using the 3d option. it will need some practice and experimentation.

3. Veydron

Veydron New Member

Is there any tutorial for this? Or any pointer how to do so?

4. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

You can read the help, hit the big blue question mark in the toolbar, then find the 3D howto in the list of items on the right.

5. swarfer

but ultimately for such curved surfaces you will need pyCam or Fusion360 or??? Sketchucam is good at 2.5D, not so good at 3D

6. Veydron

Veydron New Member

Thanks for the reply Tigerplot and Swarfer. I just dont know whats the "key word" to search. But after some searching, I came across this "Incremental Stepover". I started with Sketchup and its easier as my starting point. Theres too many keywords that I do not understand and probably what I wanted to do is way beyond beginner level lol and Im only a beginner. I have already installed Fusion360, just I havent really start to play around with it yet. Kinda still looking which software suit me best. Im comfortable with Sketchup and Sketchucam tho.

So, should I look into this incremental stepover? M I going in the right direction?

7. swarfer

stay with Sketchup+Sketchucam for 2.5D operations, it is very fast and easy to use.
    but for 3D stuff like your sinker mould, you should go with Fusion360.

watch all of NYC CNC's Fusion Friday series and you will be able to use Fusion for simple stuff quite quickly.