1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Pocketing

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Bugs' started by mturneruk, May 4, 2014.

1. mturneruk

mturneruk New Member

Hi There...

Thanks for Sketch-U-Cam - It's really great. I have been using it to cut parts for model a/c, having just completed an Openbuilds OX machine. Attached is a picture of a test piece I cut this week.

20140502_190707[1].jpg

Here are a few things i've noticed...

The pocket tool doesen't work on more complex shapes like text and letters...Gutted.
    I'm sure this is tricky, but for me it's the biggest problem right now.

Also it's a pig to delete a pocket cut if you get it wrong.

Also if you add in some cuts and then change the material thickness or another option, I don't think that updates the cuts you've already specified, so you have to be very careful to do things in order.

AutoTab would be a great feature.

Sketch-u-cam doesn't like anything that is grouped. You have to un-group it first, and sometimes redraw certain lines to ensure that there are all the correct faces.

Just my observations so far. Thanks for a great plugin.

Best Regards
    Martin Turner

kram242 likes this.
  2. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

sure it does, you just have to do some thinking (-:
    hold down CTRL and insert the boundary, then insert some lines to split that shape up into simpler shapes, hold down SHIFT to insert zigzags as needed, then remove those extra lines you put in. job done.
    all cuts are specified as percentage of material thickness, if you change the material thickness and output gcode, all cuts will use the new thickness. so a 50% pocket will still be half the current material thickness.
    this is not a problem, and is not a sketchucam 'feature'. Sketchup does the groups and sets the rules (-:
    you can always right click the group and select 'edit group'.
    in terms of Sketchucam, it uses group order (and names) in the gcode output, which is why there is a group reorder tool, and a group summary tool so you can cross check the cut order.
    In this respect, Grouping should be the last thing you do on a drawing.

3. mturneruk

mturneruk New Member

Thanks for your reply. After some more playing last night, I realise now that your right :
    Sketch-u-cam does update the G-Code if you change the material properties.

Where the problem lied was that if your G-Code is open in another program, e.g. Mach3 then Sketch-u-cam cannot re-write the file, however Sketch-u-cam does not give you a "write error msg".

If you close the G-Code in Mach3 first, then it works fine.

I will try your pocketing suggestion - Thanks!

It's a great bit of kit.
    Cheers
    Martin

4. swarfer

This comment gave me some ideas and I have improved this a lot, look for it in the next beta release (-:

I first changed the way it creates the pocket segments so that now after you create a pocket, a single CTRL-Z will undo the entire pocket.
    Then I noticed that the zigzag will delete as one 'curve' while the outline is a bunch of segments you have to delete individually or right click one and select/all connected and then delete, this must be the pain you speak of.
    I have changed this so the outline is a 'curve' that will delete as one piece.

This will be in the next beta so keep an eye out for it.

5. mturneruk

mturneruk New Member

Exactly - That was the problem....Great job.
    Any possibility of making pockets work on all kinds of shape ?

6. swarfer

possible, yes, hard, yes. we're looking at it.....

7. mturneruk

mturneruk New Member

Just noticed what i think is another bug. I was cutting some circular pockets tonight and there seems to be extra Z moves that are not required.

1. It Cuts the Zig Zag lines..
    2. Z goes to safe height - Why ?
    3. Tool drops to Pocket Depth and profiles the pocket
    4. Z goes to safe height - Why?
    5. Tool drops to Pocket Depth and does another profile cut - Why ?

This really slowed down my job. I had about 20 pockets to cut.

Cheers
    Martin

8. swarfer

were you doing multipass?
    have you got the latest version installed? 1.1e-beta3
    can you send me the sketchup file, without this I cannot regenerate the code and see what is going on and debug it.

but briefly it has to go to safe height between the zigzag and the outside profile because the end of the zigzag and begin of the profile may not be adjacent, and the code does not 'know' if they are or not before doing the retract.

if you are not doing multipass, then it should not do the profile twice. please install the latest version of Sketchucam and regenerate the gcode, if it still does it, please send me the sketchup file. I cannot debug this without your sketchup file, so if you do not send it I will do nothing (-:

9. doncdove

doncdove New Member

I love this program. I'm still learning it but so far it is getting my designs from SketchUp to router very quickly. That's a big help especially during the iterative phase of designing.

I used the pocketing tool for the first time and after quite a few trials I figured out that my pocket tool appears to be stuck at 50% In/Outside Overcut no matter what value I enter into the In/Outside Overcut % box. This happens with and without multi-pass checked but I do get multiple passes IF my multi-pass depth is set to less than 50% of the material In/Outside Overcut % value. I have joined files with plunge and outside cut tool processes and those generate G-code to the called out depth.

So far I have text edited the g-code output file to change the z value to the desired value in all instances where it is called and have changed the value in the material thickness box to the make my z depth reach the desired value with the assumption that the In/Outside Overcut % is stuck at 50%. Both are successful workarounds but I sure would like to know if there is a button I forgot to push or a box I forgot to check/uncheck.

I'm using Sketchup Pro 2017 version 17.1.174 64 bit and SketchUcam V1.4c-82ae114.

Thanks

10. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

The step over box is the one you should be using. The inside/outside overcut is used for the inside and outside cutlines.

doncdove likes this.
  11. doncdove

doncdove New Member

Thanks for pointing out the step over box.

I used it and the effect was more horizontal (or vertical, depending on orientation) passes per linear unit as I reduced the percentage. But there was still no effect on the Z axis depth when using the pocket tool. Pocket depth remains at 50% of whatever maximum depth I specify.
    I have been using the YouTube video SketchUcam: doing 2.5D cuts to make 3D things as procedural guidance. Starting at about 0:54 the inputs of 10 mm material depth and 100% inside/outside overcut percent are entered and at about 4:57 or so there is a quick flash of the G-code output that shows z depth going to -10 at line 14 in the code. Looks like if would I try the exact same procedure shown at 0:54 in the video my g code output would show Z-5 at line 16.

Any ideas on what I could be missing

12. swarfer

Inside/outside overcut% is used only by the inside and outside cuts, and plain plunge holes.

Stepover% is the percentage of the bit diameter to stepover in the pockets and is also used for large diameter plunge holes.

Pocket depth is set by entering a number in the edit box at bottom right of the sketchup screen AFTER you select the pocket tool.
    Type a number and press ENTER (no % needed!)
    OR
    use left and right arrow keys to select from the preset list of values , usually 25, 50, 75, 100%

Sketchup calls this box the VCB (value control box)

The value set there will also be used by the Fold and Centerline tools.

Sketchup-VCB.png
    You know that the value has been accepted when you see a % on the end, you don't put that there yourself.

doncdove likes this.
  13. doncdove

doncdove New Member

Thank you, Swarfer. Entering the value in the Edit box and not the parameters menu is was exactly what I was missing. Explained very well in the video link you supplied starting at 9:47.
    Thanks again.