1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Polaris Seaplane

Discussion in 'Single Wing Aircraft Plans' started by Flashsolutions, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

The Polaris is a design by Steve Shumate (Jetset44 on RCgroups). The build log for the Polaris can be found at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922465.

If you build it, you need to post pictures of it on the RCgroups thread.

This design is copyrighted and thus cannot be used to sell kits. Please respect the authors request.

I converted the plans to a SU file in order to cut one of these out for myself. I am providing the SU file here to make it easier for those of us with Phlatprinters to make one of these planes without having to do it the old fashioned way.

Please give Steve the credit he so richly deserves if you build one of these cool little jets.

Beware... they are fast!! But, they can be flown in speed range of 10 to 70 mph. Just be forewarned that if you use the motor and prop suggested, it winds up pretty tight. My first experience with it was a shocker as I did not expect it to be in the next county in a blink of the eye and it caught me off guard.

As I stated in another thread here, I used Styro Spray 1000 as the base coat for this plane. It waterproofs the foam and gives the plane a hard shell finish in which any type of paint may then be applied, it does not have to be foam safe paint.

I was able to put down a base layer of metalic gold which would have normally eaten the foam. I then laid down a layer of transparent red to give it a candy apple red tint.

The entire plane was painted with Createx Pearl White after the Styro Spray setup and the candy accents were applied over that.

HP gloss photo paper was used for the logos. Be sure to spray some clear Polyminwax over the ink as the water will cause the ink to come off.

I used Gorilla glue for the entire plane. Be sure to place masking tape over the seams while it dries. This will prevent the glue from expanding where you don't want it and the Gorilla glue expands to fill in any crevices, creating a nice water tight fit.

Be sure you read up on the build at RCgroups. There are a lot of good ideas out there. I added some formers to the SU file to make fitting the sides together more easily. Thats the beauty of having a Phlatprinter!

Also, the material depths in my SU file were set based on exact depths (fudge factor removed in constants.rb file).

I used 6mm Depron for my build. Attached files Polaris.skp (834.4 KB)Â [​IMG]

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Thank you Flash for putting this together for us! This one is going to be a great plane for the lake
    Mark

3. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Flash, neat plane. Where can I get STYRO SPRAY 1000?

Chuck
    ...somewhere in Indiana...

4. Flashsolutions

You can buy it from http://wowplanes.com or direct from Industrial Polymers. Their website is http://www.industrialpolymers.com/styrospray.html.

I recommend getting it from wowplanes to tryout and then if you like it you can order a larger quantity a lot cheaper direct from the Industrial Polymers.

5. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Thank you, I appreciate the help!

Chuck

6. filthybeast

filthybeast New Member

Thanks flash, I was going to work up this plane but I always make so many mistakes, and U do such a fine job with the phlatcode Im using yours. What size bit was used in this workup?

7. Flashsolutions

I used a non-standard bit I had from Skycraft (1.55mm), but it is very very close to 1/16" so you can go with it and it should work just fine.

8. ewo

ewo Moderator Staff Member

Just where are you in Indiana ?

9. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Oops...didn't see this question. I am in beautiful downtown Bedford. Bedford is about 100 miles south of Indy and is a totally Tsunami safe area!

Chuck

10. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

Hey Chuck,

You are about 60 miles from my wifes cusin. She lives in Bruceville. Beautiful area, we were just out there for the fall.

Matthew

11. ewo

ewo Moderator Staff Member

Then your 25 miles south of where i work. I work in Bloomington.... I live in Spencer ! :)

12. Brother Pain

Brother Pain New Member

For anyone interested: Here is a video of my Polaris and a friend of mine flying off the snow at our local club field. This is one of my favorite planes due to its size / versatility.

13. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Cool vid! I like the chasing. The oops part was funny too.
    Sure looked cold though, brrr.

14. mavacpjm71

mavacpjm71 New Member

Nice Video, the polaris is a oldie but a goodie IMHO...

-Peter

15. kram242

LOL That was great! It really takes off well on the snow
    Mark

16. kram242

17. janbjorn

janbjorn Member

Here's another clip of the Polaris flying off water. Onboard camera is GoPro with protective case. It took the extra 240grams of payload easily. Just had to move the throttle stick a bit higher :D

18. rescue911

rescue911 Active Member

Styro Spray 1000 .Have to buy part A and B from the factory.