1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Possible relay for the hotplate?

Discussion in 'Phlatformer MODIFICATIONS' started by Anonymous, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

One of you electro-mechanical wizards out there can probably help with this: I have a tendency to get "absent-minded" and don't want to start any fires. :shock:
    I'd like to add a relay inline with the hotplate, so that when I step on the foot-switch to turn ON the vacuum, it automatically turns the hotplate OFF, and leave it OFF. There will need to be some kind of RESET mechanism that's easy to reach for the next pull. :cool:

Any suggestions??

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

My idea would be to buy a timer and an outlet to hook the timer too, then put them in an electrical box.. The timer would be like one of those you might find in a park bathroom or similar.

3. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

I plan on getting a PhlatFormer here shortly, and have already considered the real possibility of me forgetting to turn off the heat source. I was thinking of using one of those vacation timers. I think they are only granular to an hour, but it is better then nothing. I was also planning to hook up a light to the switch for the hot plate... This would be another reminder.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

I wonder if I could use a GFCI outlet and intentionally mis-wire an extension from the foot-switch, to trigger a fault on the GFCI powering the hot-plate. :geek:

5. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Now there's an idea
    :)

6. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

These are good ideas, if we come up with something like the timer for instance that we could include with the kit we would be more then happy to do this. Let's keep thinking on this and see if we can find an affordable easy to us solution.
    We have added a reminder to the top of frame 10
    That says TURN OFF HEAT
    Thanks
    Mark and Trish

7. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Here is one solution...

http://www.amazon.com/Woods-59007-Decor ... B002KS1DBU

Would require a bit of wiring but you can pick up electrical boxes at home depot or lowes and mount an outlet and the timer in it and attach it to the phlatformer or bench.

Probably could keep the cost under $20. Most spring wound timers cost as much or more..

Plug the vacumn and the hotplate into it and select how long you want to activate them.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Hmmm - That's a good find Flash! If the foot-switch is used for the vacuum, it wouldn't need to be on the timer.
    I was thinking about mounting a limit switch to the "lid" of the pf, so the power to the hotplate was connected only when the "lid" was swung out over the hotplate. This would also require a little wiring, and a relay to switch power on/off.

9. kram242

10. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Just hook a 30 watt light bulb up for a reminder that the heat source is on, 3 dollar fix

11. cncmachineguy

cncmachineguy Member

priceless :D

12. kram242

Good idea Jeff :) Its simple and effective
    Mark

13. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Perhaps a mercury switch that is only activated when the table is moved over the heat source and automatically shuts down when the table is moved over the waffle board. The mercury switch could be affixed to one of the levers. I suppose, after reading this, everyone knows why I am NOT an electrician.

Chuck
    ...somewhere in Indiana...

14. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Wait, this is easy. My Phlatprinter (and soon my Phlatformer) is plugged into a power strip which is plugged in to an outlet that goes off when the lights are turned off in the shop. So, until someone comes up with a really cook modification, power your Phlatformer from an outlet the operates with the shop lights. I had one 30' x30' garage burn to the ground a year or so ago so I now KNOW this is the BEST and safest solution to leaving a hot plate on.

Chuck
    ...somewher in Indiana...

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Chuck, was it a hot plate that caused the other fire? That would be an ominous coincidence!

Oh, and I like the mercury switch idea! That way I could leave the hot plate adjusted to the "magic number", whenever I discover what that number is. ;)

16. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Naw, it would sure serve to make a argument for this though wouldn't it? I hate to admit it, and I cannot be certain, but I came in from the garage to eat lunch and "poof" lots of smoke and fire. I could not save anything. Lost thousands of dollars in RC airplanes and related stuff, a buick and a Honda Goldwing and all my shop tools. The cause?...I think I left a LiPo battery charging and it ignited. We have all been warned about this. The fire started on the wall where the charger and battery were, so it is a good guess. I don't leave LiPo batteries unattended anymore and try to put them into an old military ammot box when they are charging. It did not help that I had reloading supplies out there so a few pounds of smokeless and black powder blew up also, not to mention paint thinner, gas cans, tractor mower, freezer and on and on. I can see a hot plate causing a fire, so be careful guys!

Chuck