1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Post Any New Upgrade Electronics for the MKII!

Discussion in 'GENERAL Phlatprinter MKII Talk' started by xtremeRCpilot, May 13, 2009.

1. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

If any of you guys/gals have any leads on new electronic package deals or parts via stepper motors etc...for the MKII please share with us. I know that the easycnc kit is recommended and is probably the one I will order but if any suggestions come to mind we would love to hear them, options we love options!!! :cool:

John

2. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Probotix has individual stepper motor drivers for around $35 per stepper. Add a breakout board for $25 and a relay board for $30. From MPJA you can get the power supply for $25 and 3 steppers for $12.95 apiece and you have a complete electronic package for under $200.

The advantage of using this arrangement is if a stepper driver goes out, you're out $35 rather than having to buy an entire new controller board.

3. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

xtremeRCpilot, if i was doin it over.....get the easy cnc control board alone off of ebay, and get a 30volt no less than 24volt power supply and order some brand new 180in oz steppers. i went with the easy cnc package, and the fella sends used steppers that he takes from other equipment. their cheese and a waste of money in my opinion, although the board is good. i upgraded the control chips to the high temp version for minimal cost. randy.

4. Eflybob

Eflybob Member

HobbyCNC board (if you like to solder ) 64.95 + s/h + MPJA 24v 10a 25.00 power supply + MPJA 3*12.95 Steppers(unipolar). I use the HCNC board with smaller steppers with fine results on my MKI. Total cost $128.95 + s/h - Get at least a 24v power supply with enough amps to supply full power to all steppers and you'll have fewer problems with speed, heat and torque. Watch MPJA for power supply specials.

5. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

I used the HobbyCNC 4-axis Eflybob mentioned for a different build and it works great. Like he mentioned you get a few bags of parts and a nice etched PCB and must solder it together yourself. It was worth saving $50 for me over another board and I had fun assembling it.

6. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

xtremeRCpilot,

I would agree with getting most of the stuff from MPJA: the Vexta pk266-02a stepper motors ($12.99) , 24V 6.5A power supply ($15), and parallel/video cables ($4-5). They have alot of other stuff, so make a list. For example, if you want limit switches or say a power cable for the power supply.

That's what I am going to use in my MK2. I just got my order in this week. I also got a second power supply 24V 12.5A ($25), but the 6.5A should be plenty of power. It's more watts than the orginal HP power supply, with is like 30V 3A. I just couldn't help myself, because it was so cheap.

The only real decision is the stepper driver. I don't need one, as I have the mechatronics easy-cnc board from the orginal MK1. I am still not sure how to pick one, other then from the reviews of others. But I would think one big factor is bipolar vs unipolar. The specs for the pk266-02a stepper saids the torque is 166oz-in bipolar and 127oz-in unipolar. If you don't know the difference between the two, the most basic non-tech distinction is bipolar uses 4 wires and unipolar uses 6.

-Kwok

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

gasmasher, I was looking over the specs on that HobbyNC board, and the fact that it has 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16 step settings is very nice! Plus it has the breakout pins for limit switches built onto the board. The minor drawback is that it's unipolar, so the $13 Vexta motors will output 127 oz-in instead of 166 in bipolar mode. http://www.mpja.com/download/17748ms.pdf (ref PK-266-02A/B)
    Still, that's 150% of the torque of the stock Easy-CNC steppers, in unipolar mode. Not Bad!

8. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

WOW !! Thanks alot guys I didnt expect such a response!! I really appreciate the info and was glad to hear of alternative components!! I am going to look at these products following this reply! I already feel like one of the gang!!! I will let you guys know what I use and will post pics of my build when I get this bad boy! :mrgreen:

Thanks
    John