1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

PP 3 Fence/Guide Rail

Discussion in 'Phlatprinter 3 MODS' started by SilverFox, Dec 21, 2011.

1. SilverFox

SilverFox Member

I've been working on a Fence for my PP 3. I wanted to be able to reduce/eliminate any of the skewing that sometimes happens when running long programs.

This system will use cheap T-Track on the front and back of the PP. I found it for sale online for ~$7 a piece. I'm using rails for a Bi-Fold door for the mockup. Right now, the fence is made from a Pine 2x4 cut down a bit. I'll look into other materials once I know the system will work. On my prototype I do not have the Draw Latch and hinge. That should allow the fence to lift up with the pressure rollers. I'll be working on it more tomorrow, but I wanted to post my progress so far so I could get some inputs.

Let me know what you think.

The SketchUp File is just there to help show the idea, nothing is to scale and it is pretty crude. Attached files PP3Guide.skp (1.1 MB)Â [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I think it would do well for wood and thick foam. The problem I've seen with fences with thin foam is that the foam squishes up against the side and without the foam having support due to pieces being cut into it it creates problems. I like the t track though. :good:

3. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

NEat idea... Seems like it would be a lot easier to set up than mine.
    I mostly cut balsa/ply. I found that the fence was a necessity on the older MK 1.5 when cutting any type of wood, but not so much so with the PP/// Then again I don't do a lot of multi pass. Most passes is usually 3 for 1/8" ply. I still use it for piece of mind if I am going to multi cut, not don't with a single pass.

4. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

That's the fence I'm using. On the right is the fixed part and on the left the adjustable one. They are mounted with C-clamps that I got at the dollar store at two for a buck. The railing itself is made of two guides that electric car Neil posted, cut in two.

Attached files [​IMG]

5. SilverFox

SilverFox Member

I won't be able to work on it too much during the holiday, but it won't take me too long to revise the plans and make the final one. It should be very easy to setup and take off. The best part is that it will be cheap!

I'll post the link for the T-Slots when I get back to my home computer.

6. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Nice job Andy! just checked out the sketchup and it looks like it would work great.
    BTW I have the MK1 measurements going to a PM to you now.
    Thanks for sharing this.
    Also want to thank Yoram for posting a pic of his guide idea very cool and looks like it would work really well :good:
    Mark and Trish

7. jonquinn

jonquinn Member

that's a nice set-up. did you mount the rails on a piece or 1/4" mdf? it looks that way in the photo (like the sheet is sitting/clamped to the original "bed").

8. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Yes, I did. The fixed panel is cut to fit into the PP just perfect. That way it's always square. I have a small aluminum angle strip mounted on the MDF and the railing, it has a self-adhesive backing, glued to the aluminum. The adjustable part is made of two pieces of MDF connected by another angel aluminum.