1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Pressure Roller and Drive Roller Cover

Discussion in 'Phlatprinter 3 MODS' started by theothers, Aug 14, 2010.

1. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Hey guyz. One of the last things we are trying to work out on the MK3 is the covering we are going to use on the pressure rollers and drive rollers. As you know, in the past, we have used the grip tape which works great for foam. We have tested it on some other materials (smooth wood, plastic) and weren't able to achieve the same results. So, we have started researching some other rubber materials and right now are concentrating on a heat shrink material that they use on tennis racket handles. The problem, we can not find a source within the United States. So, we are asking for any help you can provide.

1. It is preferred that it is lined with adhesive to ensure a good grip to the rollers.
    2. It has to be pretty thin, no cushioning inside the heat shrink as some tennis racket handle replacements include
    3. It has to be grippy, non slip surface like on plier handles, etc.
    4. Is should come in a roll as we need 28" lengths.
    5. We need the ID to be 1" and 1/2", after shrinking
    6. Inexepensive is always good and a supplier within the United States is preferred to cut down on shipping expenses.

We are attaching a picture of what we have in mind. What do you think? We are also open to suggestions.

Thanks for your help guyz. Attached files [​IMG]

2. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

3. theothers

Thanks Jeff. We'll check out this link. Just so everyone knows, we tried buyheatshrink.com and they don't carry what we are after.

Thanks for your help.

Mark and Trish

4. theothers

I checked out the link. I'm not sure which, if any, of these heat shrinks would be "the one." Anyone have any idea the official name of the tennis racket heat shrink?

5. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

Bike shops sell a few different types of wraps for competition bikes. Perhaps it would be a good idea to check this out some time.

6. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

7. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Bike shops are a great idea Toxic toast thank you
    That's the one that we think will work Jeff, its just to bad its not adhesive lined but I am thinking we could put some type of adhesive on the bar before it goes on. We will have to get some and try it out.
    Thanks for you help guys :)
    Mark and Trish

8. lash

lash New Member

Put some double sided carpet tape on the rollers and then the wrap.

9. crash5050

crash5050 Member

How about that stuff that you put in the truck bet to make the rhino type bed liners? It is rubberery and has a grit to it? it is liquid, so you can dip the rollers.

10. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

There are many non-skid rubberized paints/coatings on the market, maybe consider that option?

11. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

I was thinking about that stuff too crash5050. Or the stuff you dip pliers handles and stuff in to put the rubber grip on it. I know I saw that at home depot at least once.

12. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

maybe get some bicycle inner tubes, cut em up in long strips......a lil epoxy....and spiral wrap ??

13. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

The problem with the dip type stuff would be making a uniform coating so you don't go out of round.

14. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

Jeff, that Skid-100 stuff looks like the ticket! Awesome find!!

15. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

this one we tried on the MK2 but it did not work out.
    Mark and Trish

16. GorillaBob

GorillaBob New Member

I'd like to chime in. Like Lash said, double sided carpet tape. If you have ever re-gripped golf clubs, tape goes on the shaft/roller, poor solvent [mineral spirits] into grip/tube and a little over roller, quickly slide the tube onto the roller, wipe off ooze and allow to dry for 24 hours. You would probably want to heat shrink it carefully while the solvent is present so it could move around a bit as it shrunk.

Just my $0.02 worth :D

17. theothers

Hey guyz. Thank you for all of your help. Jeff, the link you gave seems to be just what we were after. Now, let's hope it works! They don't have any prices on their website which is never a good sign but we sent them and email and we'll see where it leads.

You guyz are awesome!!

Mark and Trish

18. theothers

Please guyz, if you have any othre ideas, keep them coming. It's always good to have a back up plan.

19. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Well, if you want to glue it I recommend 3m 77, spray it on the roller then carefully drop the heatshrink down onto it. it would give a good uniform coating and the hold would be certain

20. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

They use adhesive lined heatshrink where I work for cable assemblies. I think the biggest we use is 5/8ths but I'm sure they make bigger. I'll look to see who the vendor next time I swing by the office.
    The adhesive looks and acts like hot glue. I'm not sure if that's the type your looking for. I would make it easy, just slip the tube on the roller, and heat it up from the middle to the ends while turning, then clean off the excess that squishes out.

21. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

That Skid 100 stuff sure looks to be the best option. I hope they email you guys back with a good deal. So you guys know, I have went back to the grip tape for the main drive roller from my mod a while back but I kept the drawer liner material on for the pressure rollers. The reason I changed the drive roller back was due to some skewing I found. I wonder if the squishyness of the drawer liner material was why it skewed.

22. theothers

Jeff, if we do have to use adhesive, the 3m 77 would be our first choice because it sprays and is so easy to use. We are still hopeful that we will find a heat shrink that includes the adhesive back though.

Gefahren, this would be great. Please let us know where they get it. It would be ideal to slip the tube on the rod, heat shrink it, and clean the excess. This is something we would be doing here before they go out the door.

Thanks,

Mark and Trish

23. Crash

This just came to me, and may have some potential, so let me share...

Years ago I took up the game of golf and found that I really sucked at it. One night while I was hitting some balls a the local driving range, the local pro came up to me to offer some free advice and clue me in on my biggest problem: a man 6'9" tall will never be able to drive the ball effectively with standard size clubs. It turns out that taller folks need longer clubs! (duh! Why didn't I think of that? LOL).

I took a roadtrip down the Austin where I went shopping at the local GolfSmith outlet. I got measured for custom clubs and, rather than paying the exorbitant fee for having them made, I opted to 'build' them myself (it's actually quite easy, and saves tons of dough!).

One of the things I needed was grip tape and grip tape solvent to stick the grips onto the shafts. You wrap the grip tape (a special super-aggressive,double-sided tape) around the end of the shaft where the grip will go, and then pour the solvent into the grip (with a golf tee in the little hole in the other end) to fully wet the inside. You then pour the solvent out of the grip and back into the solvent container. Now you can simply and easily slide the grip onto the shaft. After a few hours of drying time, the only way to get grip back off of the shaft is to cut them off with a razor.

I bring this up to illustrate a scenario - if you come up with a good sleeve for the rollers (heat shrink or not) and need an aggressive adhesive medium to keep that sleeve firmly in place, this may be your answer.

http://www.golfsmith.com/cm/browse/tool ... g-supplies

Always a story involved with ol' Crash, huh? :D

PS - After building a set of clubs that are 6" over-sized, my game improved immensely!! :lol:

24. theothers

Great info Crash. The price isn't too bad either. Thanks for the tip!

Mark and Trish

25. Crash

If you decide to try this method, gimme a shout and I'll share a procedure that may work...