1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Problam with 3D cut, No tool comp.

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Bugs' started by steinie44, Feb 24, 2015.

1. steinie44

steinie44 New Member

The 3D cut is not working properly. There is no tool comp in it. If I have a 1/4 inch ball and I cut a 1/2" square, it comes out as a 3/4" square. If there is a 1/2" square projection up, is comes out as a 1/4" square. Completely not useable for 3D carving. I tried a face carving, the mouth and eyes came out too big. The nose came out too small. Did I over look a setting?

2. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Did you set the bit diameter in the parameter box to 0.25"? It's by default 0.125".

3. steinie44

steinie44 New Member

Yes I use it a lot. With the 3D cut, it makes no difference. The 3D part is useless.

4. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

this is mentioned in the help and is a known 'feature' (-:

although the bit diameter is mentioned and 'used' in the code, obviously something is wrong somewhere and the toolpath is not correctly offset.
    however, the code is not commented and is very hard to understand (for me) and 3D is not the focus for this software since there is a lot of other functionality that is more worth the effort at this time (and I have a long list of things to do/add and 3D is not on it :)

a really nice alternative is PyCAM, free software that will import STL files and does a good job of generating roughing and smoothing passes over complicated 3D objects. You can export STL files from Sketchup by loading the free STL exporter plugin.

5. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

I have asked the original developer of the 3D module to have a look at it.

ewo likes this.