1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

[PSv0924 Mod] Saving Parameters only places safe area box, i

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Related Software' started by kyyu, Jan 1, 2011.

1. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

By request, here is a new mod. When you save your parameters, the safe area box is automatically generated. It will no longer do this. Now it's generated/updated only when the box dimensions are changed. The main thing you will notice is when you have a new drawing, the box is not automatically generated just because you enter a new bit diameter or material thickness, etc. I also find it annoying that the box keeps showing up. That doesn't mean you don't have a safe area. It's always there by default, on the origin and default size. It will show up if you change the box dimensions or if you use the safe area tool to place the box.

To install, unzip to skechup's directory preserving the folder structure. One file is over-written, Phlatscript.rb.

[attachment=0][PSv0924 Mod] Saving Parameters only places safe area box, if box size was changed.zip[/attachment] Attached files Saving Parameters only places safe area box, if box size was changed.zip][PSv0924 Mod] Saving Parameters only places safe area box, if box size was changed.zip (3.2 KB)Â

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

I think this is exactly what Yoram is looking for Kwok. I have to say I like the old way better and new users may find this new way a little confusing especially with all the tutorials out there showing it working the way it does now.
    It really no problem for me to click the safe area tool and move it out of the way if I need to, but usually I do all my design work off to the side and then as I complete parts I bring them into the safe area. but hey that's just me :D I am sure others will appreciate this way as an alternative.
    Thanks Kwok
    Mark and Trish

3. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

I just erase the coordinates indication numbers (0, 0 and 42, 22) one time then I can turn the safe area box on/off at will with the View > Guides toggle.

4. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

You bet your bottom dollar that that is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks, Kwok. I feel loved again. :D :D

5. TigerPilot

Buk, there are many ways around the problem but why have the problem? Now we don't anymore. I love it!!!

6. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I never saw it as a problem myself. I actually like the box being placed at the origin.

7. TigerPilot

Shaun, the problem is not that the box is placed on the origin, the problem is that if you change the bit diameter it places the safe area, period. I, and Kwok obviously too, didn't think it was necessary. I didn't mind the safe area being placed when the size of the safe area was changed. In all other cases, in my opinion, it was not necessary.

Maybe I should explain why I'm crying. I drew parts in SU that should be cut with different bit in the same material. I'll have to change the bit after cutting one set without taking the wood out of the printer. To make the phlatlines I have to change the bit size. When I did it in the past, the safe area popped up even so I was not ready for it yet since I didn't know where I'll need it. Now I can change the bits as many time as I want and when I finished placing the Item on the drawing I can call the safe area and place it where I need it.
    When the safe area is on the drawing and you global zoom it zooms to include the safe area even if the parts are only 2" in diameter and show as a speck. I had to erase the safe area to have the 'shift+z', which I use a lot, show the small parts zoomed.

8. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Makes sense Yoram and again like a lot of features and ideas brought up here, really comes down to personal preference. We all want to move on to more advanced ideas(not saying this is one of them) and features, but keeping the new user in mind and creating a balance between the two becomes harder the more that advanced users want to learn and expand their horizons.We understand this and at one point there was talk of creating an advanced tool set, but that idea has been replaced by the idea we proposed that is instead of an advanced tool set. We would create the Phlatscript to work in the same way that Sketchup does by allowing the user to write plugins for the main program. So the concept is having an area where developers can add their own plugins to the compliment and add to the Phlatscripts core concept. This is really a nice solution to this and will keep the project growing and open while at the same time maintaining a solid foundation for them to work from. I see that maybe this would be a good place for your idea to be incorporated instead of making changes like this to the root program that change the way it has been working well for the majority of users. On another note an idea I have had that is slightly related (while on the subject) ;) I have had a need where I wanted to have my foam parts and wood parts on the same Sketchup but of course needed different parameters for each safe cutting areas. What would be nice would be the ability to assign these parameters to multiple safe areas all in the same Sketch. Maybe having the entity info to check to see what these are? or maybe a click able/name label that would bring up a parameters window for that particular safe area. this would be nice nice to incorporate even the ability to use the Phlat3D plug for some of these safe areas as long as it was checked in that particular parameters dialog. I think at this point we would need a way to output single safe areas to gcode files and that would require a > generate button/label as well for each one. This would be a nice feature because it would allow you to set up an entire project within a single sketch regardless of the material used or if it is 3D or 2.5D just an idea that one day I may even be able to incorporate myself as I learn more about Ruby
    At this point we are feeling things out to see where things are heading and looks like its leaning toward the addons which will be awesome, and we are already seeing some great new features being added that are very promising!
    Mark and Trish