1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Pyramid?

Discussion in 'Sketchup Help' started by TigerPilot, Dec 9, 2011.

1. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Is the dove tail going to be on one axis only? Can you make a 2d, or flat, drawing of what you have in mind? Can you post it here then? We'll go to the next step after that.

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Yoram is right we would have to have an idea on where to start and a sketch would help a lot.
    Mark and Trish

3. TigerPilot

Well... that didn't go well. :D :girl_cray2: :girl_cray2: That's not what I had in mind. What I meant was to make a side view of what you want the pyramid to look. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the 'three view' concept but if you are, than the side view, or the front view, which ever shows the dove tail too, is what we need. From there I'll show you how to go and make it a 3d pyramid.

4. TigerPilot

shippo0708, you are almost there. You had pulled the part 3/16". The base that you've made is 3". Pull it 3" instead of 3/16". Also, do yourself a favor and start all your drawings with the green and red axis' flat. It will make life so much easier. I did it and you can see the face on the left. It's the face that you've made I only had flattened it so it will be easy for me to do the rest.
    After you've pulled the face 3" make a line form the center of the top along the red axis and from the base along the green axis. The length is not important. I did it in the second from the left.
    From the point where the above two lines meet draw lines to the corner like in the third drawing.
    Erase the lines that are not needed as in the forth drawing.
    Pull this new face 3" like in number five.
    Select the whole thing and right click. Choose 'Intersect Faces' and then 'With Selection' like in six.
    Erase the lines that are not needed like I started to do in seven.

BTW, it's keyways what you have and not dove tails but the process is the same. Attached files pyramid2.skp (56.9 KB)Â

5. TigerPilot

Si, senior :D

6. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

This has been haunting me for days..........

Make a Pyramid........ simple .......make it lock together...........No Problem............ :fugly:

I just can't wrap my head around this simple " so I thought" concept. :twitch:

Here is what I came up with after 2 hours........Hope this helps.

I think this should be a contest or something.................

Cheers
    E-T Attached files [​IMG] E-T pyramid.skp (54.3 KB)Â

7. kram242

I wanted to help with this and thought it would be very easy to do, but it actually turned out to be a challenge. This is set up for 1/4" material and will require that along the connecting edges you sand a 45 for a better fit. You can look at the last one in the group that has the parts extruded to 1/4" to see where you have to take some off the edge.
    I hope this layout will give you some help with understanding SketchUp a little better.
    Mark and Trish
    p.s. lol I see you were posting the same time as me ET, Your right we should have made this one a contest. It was a lot tougher then I thought going into it. :D Attached files SU7_pyramid.skp (44.1 KB)Â SU8_pyramid.skp (159.9 KB)Â [​IMG]

8. TigerPilot

I must admit that I'm missing something here! The demo that I've posted above took me 20min including the writeup I did here. Where did I go wrong? What do you guys see that I miss? :oops: :oops:

BTW, E-T and Mark, where are the keyways he wanted to incorporate? I thought that was the biggest problem facing him. Again, I must have totally misunderstood the whole thing. :oops:

9. Evil-Tunes

This is what I was thinking before you made your first try. Then I changed my mind after I saw your SU file. This is very AZTEC :doubleup:

Cheers
    E-T Attached files E-T pyramid 2.5.skp (243.2 KB)Â [​IMG]

10. TigerPilot

I'll call it tabs. :D :D

11. Evil-Tunes

I think most of us here on the PhlatForum would call them tab and slots. In woodworking they would be Dovetails?

Cheers

E-T

12. SilverFox

SilverFox Member

13. Evil-Tunes

14. kram242

:good: that's the one
    Here are some great digital wood joints for cnc that may give some ideas as well (48 megs)
    [​IMG] Attached files Digital_Wood_Joints_Complete.zip (48.5 MB)Â