1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Quad and Tri-Copter Build Tips....

Discussion in '* Scratch Built Section *' started by rjarois, Dec 5, 2009.

1. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

started a new project...its called a tri-copter. some fella named signguy over on the e-zone in the aerial photography section has a build log...its a very good read, if you can get past some of the bickering in ther :D :D anyhow i started to mangle up some .250in. birch plywood last nite. the wood is really slippery, and i had it not skew, but skid on me....i took a sheet of fanfold and used some 3-m spray on it. sometime today i will run the mangler on it. i will report back with the results. oh yea, my vacuum cabinet dont cut the mustard on cutting wood. with the mangler, and small cuts, i need to blow or vacuum from the top. i will have to make up something , so i don't have to stand ther and attend. randy.
    if anyone cares, here is the link...http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1142429

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Randy this is going to be an awesome project for sure!.
    I really love the way this thing flys and the fact that it is portable is unreal!
    Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out
    Mark
    p.s. Randy moved this here so you have room to grow :)

3. iflyos

iflyos Member

WOW..what a neat, low buck tri-copter....Man, I sure don't need anything else on my plate, but this..this..this...Randy, I will be watching for your updates...this looks like to much fun, and ALLOT cheaper than a commercial version...

Tim
    AG4RZ

4. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

I could wreck that faster than you can say "look at my tri copter sarontasaurus".

Good luck!

5. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

That's cool.
    I like how it folds up.
    Looks pretty stable, but I'm sure it would be easy to lose orientation.

6. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

That's cool. The red arm motor must rotate. Flys like a Fp heli.

7. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Cool, I want one! I like the sound, also. Not high pitch and sounds more like a swarm of mosquitoes. OK, tell me, how do you control yaw without throwing off the balance?

[edit] Ok, I see. He's pivoting the red motor. Until I saw that, I was speculating that maybe he was running the two yellow motors at half speed.

8. rjarois

yea kwok, i had to review the thread a few times, lols. i have center frame cut. i am working on the yaw motor mount now wile i wait on the hardware from Hong Kong....some of the fellas in the e-zone say it takes forever to get thru customs...that will give me leisure time with the rest of the frame. its really kinda simple, not much to them besides the hardware. randy.

9. rjarois

center section cut from 1/4in. birch ply...with bears mangler...
    [​IMG]

10. iflyos

iflyos Member

Looking good, Randy! Something tells me the wife is gonna wanna strangle me soon..

Tim
    AG4RZ

11. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Looks like those gyros have droped alot in price. Any reason not to get 4 of the same gyros? I'm downloading his videos, right now.

12. rjarois

tim i got everything i need, and i have the rest...

SKU Description Qty STATUS
    SK-2830-750 TGY AerodriveXp SK Series 28-30 75 3 Reserved
    GR302-AD Telebee Head Lock & Standard Gyro 3 Reserved
    HK-SS30A-HW Hobbyking SS Series 25-30A ESC (ca 3 Reserved
    TR_PC TURNIGY BESC Programming Card 1 Reserved

Shipment International (Registered) Air Mail 501-750g $14.99
    Taxes $0.00
    Total $169.18

i really should have not spent the money right now....but sometimes i lack self control, lols. randy.

13. rjarois

kwok, i think it would work, but im not positive. the reason for the telebees gyro's, i guess ther the only ones that will work thru a speed control rite. i have a futaba 401 im gonna use as the yaw gyro, as i already have one. actually i have two...i will give a deal on the spare if needed by anyone. the fella that started the copter post on the e-zone seems like a real nice guy. i would ask him technical questions. randy.

14. blindflight

blindflight Moderator Staff Member

Hey Randy! This is really a cool craft...I'll be watching this one for sure.. My ideas as for using foam is that the foam would need a "stringer" or have the foam sandwhiched with some lite ply or using bi-direction / cross grained foam laminated just to add some support.
    Just an idea, geeeee I feel like building one..hummmm, do I have parts.. :D
    AL

15. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

16. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

The inexpensive gyro is fine for that project. They work well up to a point and that point is way beyond what the project can do IMHO. Unless you plan on flying backwards circuits at 40mph ;) The good the about the cheap gyros is the light weight.

17. rjarois

the cost of the servos dont have nothin to do with the tri-copter....although people like inexpensive items....i have read two huge threads, and its simple that some gyros, auto-pilot devices will only control servos...and not speed controllers. be warned this is a huge thread...
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=959593

18. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

That thing is just begging for a "flying saucer" kind of body wrapped around it. :cool:

19. rjarois

got the arms today at lowes...the fella "signguy" in his build thread he used poplar wood ripped on his table saw...as its freezing here in mi, i decited to buy some. i got 5/8 sq poplar strips at lowes for $6 bucks. randy.
    [​IMG]

20. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I'm like 50% committed to making one of these. Just started reading the 2nd big thread. Since I started the gyro question, I should clarify. I got my answer reading the rcgroups thread, too. 1st of all, you must use the Telebee gyro for the 3 motors. It's just a given, unless you want to rebuy $100 worth of gyros. And there is nothing special about the yaw gyro, except there seems to be cheap crap gyros out there that is unable to work as a gyro. So for me it will be the GWS PG-03 or the Telebee (since these 2 are roughly the same price now) for the yaw.

I think it's pure genius that this tricopter can fold up!

Another consideration for me is this tricopter is huge, 40" diameter. And those hexTronik DT750 motors are out of stock. But think I got 3 of these already in my stash, so my options are open. His smaller one, which I am looking at now, is more to my liking. Think it's 24" diameter? It uses the tower pro 2410-09 motors. And the audio is really good in the video. I can hear it's really quiet. The audio for the large tricopter videos are pretty bad, so I can't be sure about it. Looks like it's much better for the tight space I have to fly in. Here's the link to the videos: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=52

-Kwok

21. rjarois

22. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Randy, I will be watching. Those motors do look better in every way, especially the bearings. Which end do you plan to mount the prop?

23. rjarois

kwok, i wont know til i get them in my hands. as of now i am planning on cuttin more ply on the phlatty....firewall mounts, and some other ideas....i have a long time to spring....i plan on taking to Toledo if mark and Trish set-up a booth. i have to give them ther sample wing, and i can bring the tri-copter to show off the wood cutting capabilities of the phlatty. randy.

24. rjarois

i started to install my yaw motor mount.....i used some small dabs of epoxy, and used two zip-ties to secure rather than tape... randy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. rjarois

got the yaw servo on the tri-copter installed today....i have to wait on the motor mounts til i get the motors...next i will cut the 9mm depron top...i am going to cut the gyro pockets so i can get nice gyro axis alignments. also it will help allot on damping vibrations, and should help allot. man i cant believe ther is only one servo on this thing. mark had a excellent idea about making a foam body...that would be real cool. also i have the three into one gyro gain harness soldered up for the telebee's. randy.
    [​IMG]