1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

rock and roll time

Discussion in 'MOTORS - Stepper Motors' started by frankrcfc, Jan 3, 2009.

1. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Blew a board ic chip on the Y. Brian found that. Went and ran new stepper on the z to test it out and maxed out the mach3 tuning and set up. That's 107 on the velocity. acceleration was working anywhere I put it. Not 1 mistep. Fun stuff. Still want to install the new board I have coming though.

2. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Just ordered the ic chip that went on the Y control. 5.88. coming from Arrow electronics out of Ann arbor,Mi.

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Hi Frank do you have the chip # for ordering from them? Just in case
    Thanks

4. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Sure thing Mark. A3977SEDT. For me it was Arrow Electronics out of Ann Arbor, MI

5. kram242

Thank you Frank

6. dangre

dangre New Member

That's awesome Frank, what stepper motor did you end up with (oz-in and model number) and where did you get it?
    Thanks, Dan

7. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Hey Dan, got that from this place. http://www.anaheimautomation.com/highto ... otors.aspx

23Y206S-LW8
    262 oz bipolar torque
    hooked in series @2.1 amp
    59 bucks to my door.
    Strangly the board and stepper are absolutly quiet. Slight heat from the board and stepper also.
    Also my all thread is absolutly smooth turning too. No wobble or anything. Have no idea how I managed that little trick. :)

8. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

9. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

10. kram242

Frank, so what is your setup as of now do you have all three of your steppers upgraded or just the Y? Also what kind of speed are you getting out of this new setup, what is your steps per on the 3 Axis.
    Just trying to find the best setup out there for people.
    Thanks
    MnT

11. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Hey Mark. I will definitely come back here and give a full update as to my setup. I just found out that chip I ordered will be here Fri. coming from Reno, Nev .figure that one out!. I am really really looking forward to seeing what i can get out of the printer when I get it back together. So far though I do have the X at 38 now and of course the Y was way past that. Only thing I am wondering about is the Z which is hanging in at 6. The new stepper for the Y is sticking out a 1/2" from the side cover by the way.

12. kram242

Man that is good on the Y! as you know the X can be cranked way up but I keep mine the same as the Y just because it feels right, otherwise if you have straight cut on the X and you have it cranked up it will haul butt and then have to slow way down when it comes to any other cut. So to keep it cutting at a steady rate I keep it the same as the Y. What motor are you using on your Z? Sounds like the Z is under some intense stress to be slowing you down that much. You may want to take the Tnut out and maybe you need to open the hole a little to see if it should be moved a little one way or another. I think that if you ran the Z up and down with the Tnut maybe with just one screw in there it will find where it wants to be taking the least path of resistance, and you could mount it there. That may work to give you a lot more speed. It can be that the alignment is out just a little from a number of variables during the build and this would help get it realigned. Its really hard to have a perfect alignment in such a short run of the gantry due to the all the variations during the building process. Just an idea that I thought may help you out.
    Looking forward to your other report as well.
    Thanks for keeping us updated here.

13. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Hey Mark was finally able to get logged back in. Your instructions worked perfect. Anyway. I actually had the z working pretty good at around 13 early on but when I would try and move up the Y speed z would stop working until I brought the y and z back to a real low number to start the process of building up the speed again. I swear I'll have all the answers come Fri :D

14. kram242

Sounds good Frank I'll be waiting
    Mark