1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

rollers slipping

Discussion in 'General Phlatprinter 3 Chat' started by topflight36, Dec 29, 2010.

1. topflight36

topflight36 Member

Hey guys I got my mk up and going. However I keep running into a problem with my x axis. First time it was the belt was a little lose. I fixed that and it was working good for a little while. Then my pully slipped on my stepper. I reset it and thought that I was good to go. Well that seem to not be the case it slipped once again. I reinstalled in back on the flat section this time with some locktite on the set screw. But once again when testing it the pully started to slip. Is there something that I am over looking. Thanks ahead of time guys. I cant wait to get this thing running to its full potiental.

Tom

2. jkarnacki

jkarnacki Member

You can buy some 8/32 "socket head" style set screws at Home Depot for a few cents. They have a larger head on them which allows you to tighten them down as much as you like.

- Jeff

3. topflight36

topflight36 Member

Thanks Jeff, I figured out what we did. When went to put the pully on last night it showed in the forum that it was moved alittle closer to the motor. I guess when we aligned the pully we went alittle to far and I thought we were on the flat spot but we were just a hair past it. I will get some of those screws tomorrow. As I am having a hard time getting it to lock down. I will also get an allen that will fit up in the bottom alittle better.

Now just to clearify that is the thread size right.

Thanks
    Tom

4. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

You might want to file the flat on stepper down a little closer to the motor housing. You want the pulley to fully seat onto the shaft so that it does not overhang past the end of the shaft. If I remember correctly, the flat spot is not quite far enough back and the set screw was almost sitting on top of the edge where the flat started.

I put a larger stepper motor on mine and don't remember if the original had the flat spot in the same place, but I did file mine down and it locks in tight now.

5. jkarnacki

jkarnacki Member

Haha, good thing you asked for clarification, cause I was wrong! Here is a direct quotation from Crash's thread (which I used to find the thread sizes, and they worked for me):

"I've had an issue with those small grub screws that secure the pulleys to the stepper motor shafts on previous PhlatPrinters. It seems that you just cannot get them tight enough to not slip off the flats of the shafts! Just about the time you've got the set screws almost tight enough, the hex key strips out in the head of that little stinkin' screw! On the Z and X pulleys, I took out those little grub screws and replaced them with conventional 6/32 stainless steel 3/8" long machine screws. This allows you to use a hex key three sizes larger to properly torque down the set screw thus eliminating the chance of stripped heads on that set screw and the pulley slipping on the shaft ever again. If you feel the need to do this on the Y pulley, you'll have to get an 8/32 x 3/8" machine screw. (see my pictures below)"

I found mine at Home Depot in the hardware section in the pullout drawers.

- Jeff

6. topflight36

topflight36 Member

Thanks Jeff about to make a run. I will get some of each just to be safe. It looks like only my Z axis is slipping. But i havent cut anything really to test the other ones good enough to know for sure.

Tom

7. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Tom one thing to be sure is to loosen your X stepper and roll the rollers until you find the high point. You can do this by checking the belt as you roll the drive rollers. Once you find that, pull down a little on the stepper to tighten the belt then tighten the screws. This will make sure that the belt is not getting tighter as it makes a revolution. I did this to mine and several others have as well and it makes a big difference.
    Hope this helps and good luck with the maiden cut! :D
    Mark and Trish

8. topflight36

topflight36 Member

Hey Mark what pulley will I need to look at for this. Are you talking about the stepper pulley or the roller ones.

After spacing the rollers today and changing out the set screw with a better one. I was able to make a few cuts today. For the most part it seems to be going good. However I am still getting a skip here and there on the rollers. Let me know exactly what I need to look at tomorrow so I can give it another go.

Thanks
    Tom

Oh yeah btw this cutter is awesome I am sure that part of the problems that I am having is self induced my my lack of knowledge with these machines.

9. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Hello Tom
    To answer your question
    , about the pulleys you want to look at are the drive roller pulley.
    You want to loosen your stepper first and place your finger on the belt between the dive roller pulleys. Then by hand just slowly rotate them around until you find the tightest point of the belt and that should be the high spot we mention. These is where you want to tighten your belt and then your steppers screws. I was having the same issue you mention with missing steps here and there on the x and it was because I had tightened the belt at the low end and every time a rotation of the drive rollers came around to the high side it would skip a step because the belt would get to tight. So this is what we are trying to eliminate.
    Hope this helps
    Thank you for the kind words :)