1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Rust on Rollers and extra parts...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Build Support' started by PCPhill, Nov 9, 2012.

1. PCPhill

PCPhill New Member

First off I want to say that this is an amazing kit! I had very few snags building the kit and it worked right from the start. I am having an issue already that I haven't seen addressed ( it may be I missed it). My pressure rollers and handle already have a fine coating of rust on them after only two weeks. This is indoor heated/cooled space. I can sand/polish them and oil them, but then I'm going to have to clean the foam after cutting, and it'll stain wood. Is anyone else having this problem? What's your solution. TIA

I also have several extra MDF parts labeled g1 - g3 and peg along with some assorted hardware that was never mentioned in the build video. I've seen mention of some guides in the forums, but not instructions (if this is what they are) . Any help would be appreciated.

Phill

2. jonquinn

jonquinn Member

have the same issue on mine. I rub them down with fine scotchbrite. I don't recall if I ever put any Boeshield T9 on them.

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Hello Phill, Thank you for the kind words
    I have not had this happen with mine yet but maybe for the rust, some fine steel wool and cleaned up with a rust inhibitor? :02cents:

The guides are a mod that we thought would be nice to have, but they were thought up (of course) after the release of the PhlatPrinter itself.:D So we put together a thread to show how they are built
    Here is a link to the guides thread:
    viewtopic.php?f=270&t=7485&p=39514#p39276
    Hope this helps Phill and once again great job on completing the build. Looking forward to seeing what cool projects you come up with. :doubleup:
    Mark and Trish

4. PCPhill

PCPhill New Member

Thanks all! It's a little scary when you have that many leftover parts when you finish...

I've never heard of Boeshield but I'll Google it.

5. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I haven't had any problems with rust but my rollers were replaced with some nice polished drill rod from Enco (I think that's where I got them from). Maybe clean them up and spray them with some polyurethane.

6. jonquinn

jonquinn Member

http://boeshield.com/

I know places like woodcraft and maybe rockler stores carry boeshield, aircraft spruce probably does too.
    I use it on the cast iron surfaces of my woodworking machinery to help inhibit rust. it does provide some slip on the surface. You have to wipe it down after its sprayed on. since it provides some surface lubricity, it might not be the best thing for the rollers (but they are just pressure rollers), but it does a very good job at preventing rust over long periods of time.