1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

script to make sliceform-like cuts in a radial format?

Discussion in 'Other Sketchup related softwares/plugins' started by dennis, Jan 12, 2010.

1. dennis

dennis New Member

Hi.

I love the Sliceform plugin 1.3 but would really like to cut things slightly differently. I'm looking to make slices based on a radial axis, with each slice perpendicular to the surface it intersects. i.e. the result would have the look of a rib and stringer balsa airplane. It seems like the code is right there inside of the slicemodeler plugin, someone just needs to tell it to align radially.... does anyone know of such a plugin or have the skills required to make the plugin come true? (if someone does have the skills/interest in making the additions to the slicemodeller plug-in one nice feature would be to be able to tell the plugin to slice for 360 degrees, or 90, or 120, or 215 degrees....)

A sliced model would look like the lightbulb tutorial below, except it could be made with about three clicks of the mouse:
    viewtopic.php?f=211&t=726&p=5709&hilit=lightbulb+tutorial#p5709

Thanks!
    Dennis

2. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I couldn't find any plugins to do the axial slicing, otherwise my tutorial would have been much shorter. ;) Even looked at some subtracting scripts, to save work, but no dice. No, I doubt it if the code is right there in the script, like you are hoping.

-Kwok

3. dennis

dennis New Member

i mean that the pieces of the code to perform the actual slicing are right there, since that is what the sliceform ruby does, not the radial orientation of the cuts.... the radial orientation is what's new;-)

i'm really hoping that someone wants to take this project on as there would be a whole world of stuff that could be done with it.

a second option i'm hoping for beyond a radial slice pattern is to 'slice perpendicular' to a path. that way if you had a race track oval shape you could have a bunch of ribs that were all oriented perpendicular to the object and could develop some really nice fuselage shapes or pretty much anything you wanted.

incidentally, i am willing to contribute financially to the development of this ruby if someone has the skills to make it.