1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

SkyCart by Leadfeather

Discussion in 'Strange Aircraft' started by kram242, Aug 14, 2009.

1. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Ok the Skycart has been added to the free plans section :D
    You can get it a little further down the page here http://www.phlatforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=9917#p9822
    Have fun!!
    Mark

Hey guys just wanted to show you Leadfeathers/Motorheads Skycart design he has been working on.

This guy comes up with some really cool stuff!
    He posted the plans so I have converted them into a Sketchup Model
    This is going to be a great fun plane/car to fly/drive :D
    I am thinking that we could come up with all kinds of accessories for it like rims and different side panels.. etc
    I will post the plans here as soon as they are finished
    Mark
    Here are the specs Dan placed on this design
    BW or equivalent motor
    9 gram elevon 5 gram rudder servo
    8-10 SS esc
    gws 8043 prop
    2s 360 mAh battery
    CG 5-6" from LE

Motorhead(Mike) is selling kits for the Skycart here

http://www.midwestfoamplanes.com/

all epp airframe

Here's a video of Leadfeather and Motorhead having some fun with a couple Skycarts
    Attached files [​IMG]

2. kram242

Getting better looking!
    I'm thinking of using Avery clear sticker labels for the decals
    So far all the tabbing is done and the sticker texture sizes. Really all that is left is part layout :D
    This is going to be fun!!!
    Mark

[​IMG] Attached files [​IMG]

3. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Thats cool!
    It looked like it handled really well on the ground too.

4. iflyos

iflyos Member

This will be one cool addition to the fleet! I can see cart races that get crazy pretty quick!

Tim
    AG4RZ

5. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Oh Goodie! Another funny plane! And I was afraid I was going to run out of wierd things to fly!

6. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Looks really cool, maybe he can give Surfer Dude a lift to the beach. :lol:

7. leadfeather

leadfeather New Member

Hey Guys, this this my first post on the phlatforums.

Check out the artwork on these two Skycarts by adreher and motorhead.

I hope you guys have as much fun with these as we are! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o6sEL7p3tw

8. iflyos

iflyos Member

Welcome, Lead! Good to see you here. I am sure you will find plenty of us are fans of your work. Thanks for sharing it with us all!!

Tim
    AG4RZ

9. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Welcome leadfeather, this is another cool one. Thanks a bunch.

10. 3DMON

Awesome Leadfeather!
    Mariokart is my favorite Nintendo game of all time!
    I love the fly on the wall move.
    Too cool!

11. Flashsolutions

Hi there Leadfeather.... Glad to see you have joined the Phlatforum... Big fan of your PbF!

12. kram242

Here is the Skycart created by Leadfeather and Motorhead!This one looks like a lot of fun.
    The thread for the Skycart is here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 4114&pp=50

I have not tried to cut this one out or fly it so please let me know how it goes if you try it.
    Thanks
    Mark
    Enjoy!! :)

Get the Artwork for sticker paper here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=61

This file is setup for 6mm foam with an 1/8th bit
    This file was created with the latest Phlatscript version 0.920 and it looks great!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] SkyCart.cnc (44.5 KB)Â SkyCart.skp (1.9 MB)Â

13. Flashsolutions

Well, this is one I have been waiting on. As soon as Mark posted the files, I was cutting it out.

Here are some observations from my build:
    The wheel parts that make up the tire were too short to fit around the circumference of the wheel part and too long to place inside it. I opted to cut off about 1/2" to fit on the inside.

I cut strips of 1mm foam to finish wrap the outside of the wheels and cover the edges that were showing by having the main tire part on the inside of the wheel hubcap.

I found some round servo control horns which come with HS55 servos and decided they would make a perfect wheel bearing. I cut a little larger hole in the wheel caps to accommodate the servo piece and then traced around it with xacto blade. I then used my Dremel to route out a 1/32" inlay for the round control horn and glued it in place.

I later decided to enlarge the holes in the nylon hub to fit some carbon fiber tubing I had in stock. The nylon hubs let me keep the axles glued to the skycart and the wheels turn on them very smooth almost as if on bearings.

I used HP glossy photo paper to make the hub caps and the Phlatboyz aviator and glued them with 3M 77 spray adhesive.

I airbrushed the FFF and assembled with hot glue.

It was after dark by the time I finished up today, but I took it outside and ran it in the grass where it was turning and skittin around real nice! On pavement, was another story. The wheels are too slippery and it would not turn on the driveway.

Tomorrow will be the maiden for airborne worthiness.

Thanks to both Leadfeather and Mark for making these plans available!!! :mrgreen: Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. 3DMON

Man that is sharp Flash!

15. kram242

Flash that came out great!! Man I had no idea it would look that cool.
    How were you able to print the graphics out to size?
    I am sorry about the wheel size being off. I will fix this and re-post
    Great ideas on the wheel bearings, really nice build
    Anxiously awaiting the maiden.
    Mark

16. Flashsolutions

Mark.. I just sent the PDF files to the printer and they came out exactly the right size. I cut the pages with a straight edge lined up with each set of cross hairs and then everything butted up together perfectly. The photo paper laminated to the foam also strengthens it greatly.

Got to the field this morning and brought out the skycart only to find one of the digital servos was acting up and causing radio interference to boot. Every surface was pulsating. Unplugged the rudder servo and everything quieted down.

So I did not get to maiden it today.

When I got home, I replaced all of the servos with heavy duty servos and changed receivers. I ran it in the grass for awhile and then tossed it into the air for a few quick passes in the lot next door. No room to get fancy with it, but it flies, so tomorrow I hope to have better success.

Landings are especially hard on the elevon hinges. I put some tape on them but I think I may have to get some packing tape with the strings in it for strength. I am sure the servos are getting a workout. I hope they hold up. That appears to be the weakest link.

17. kram242

Flash, that's nice that it is the right size already! How about the rims? How did you get them to print the right size? Flash could you please measure the little push rod support bar you have I would like to add that and the servo holes to the design as well.
    Thanks
    That stinks that you didn't get the chance to maiden.
    I agree the elevon on the hinges are the weak link in this design, but its also a great idea to get it to change its angle of attack for rolling off the ground. Maybe a larger servo?
    Thanks for the update Flash
    Mark

18. Flashsolutions

I replaced all of my servos with Turnigy 9 servos.

In fact, I replaced the entire electronics package. The new spectrum receiver had a glitch problem caused by the digital rudder servo.

I also put on a larger motor and speed controller.

I still have not been able to maiden it! The grass was wet and I was in a big hurry to play with it. The wet grass made the tape come unstuck and I broke the stick mount off when it came down. Yes, it was airborne for a little while. Even the glue loosened up due to the foam getting wet.

I decided against a field repair and so it looks like it will be later in the week before I get an opportunity to try again.

Here is an updated SU file with the addition of servo holes for turnigy servos and the control rod supports.

I used some antennae wire tubes to run my control rods through. It keeps the rods from bending. Just be sure to attach the wire to the servos before you glue the rod supports in place. It is a bear trying to do afterward, if not impossible.

As to the wheels... I had to fudge that a bit. The diameter of the wheels was 4" so I drew a 4" circle and filled it with the bitmap. I then had to go to edit mode and edit the bitmap to scale it to fit the circle.

I then exported the image to a PDF file and printed it from there. Attached files SkyCart_modified.skp (1.9 MB)Â

19. kram242

Good deal Flash thank you for posting the new file and thank you for the wheel info!
    That stinks that the wet grass messed up your maiden... ET is going to the indoor fly-in this Thurs and he is building on so maybe I can whip one up and 'crash up derby' with him :D
    Mark

20. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

Now that puts me on the Spot. :eek: Nah I still have a few days yet. :lol: I was messing with a FE-5 all weekend and she is ready for a maden. I got the file rdy to cut "Flashes" and will cut it out when I get home.

Cheers
    E-T

p.s. Mabey I will put some bumpers on it. :mrgreen:

21. kram242

LOL I'm going with missiles and saw blades myself! :mrgreen:
    See you at the fly-in! :)
    Mark

22. Evil-Tunes

I started my build last night. All that is left is to let the paint dry and install the servos. I was surprised how fast and easy it is to put together. :D Very nice design Leadfeather.

Seeing how flash changed out the servos for stronger ones "the weak link" I decided to make a servo saver like the ones for the rc Car/Truck steering. I had a good thaught trying to go to sleep" some of my best thinking" I came up with a simple solution of using two servo horns one on top of the other and a little rubber band. Prob. some gas tubing would work also.

attach one side permently

put a rubber band around both

Here is a short Video [vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/6500707[/vimeo]
    I think this will help with the shock of the landings to not strip out the servo. I will have to test this some more. :ugeek:

Cheers
    E-T Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

23. Flashsolutions

Got to put my Skycart to the test today! The field where I took it to has a runway made from some cloth looking like stuff, kinda looks like ground cover. Don't know what the real name for it is, but it makes for a nice landing strip for electrics.

Anyhow, the plane flew very well and I ran it around all over the ground pretty hard including landings and the Turnigy 9 servos held their own, no stripped gears.

There was some sandy areas where I ran the cart as well and I brought home a filthy skycart with sand covering everything in sight.

A few spots need a bit of touch up with the hot glue, but it did great! I could not get it to leap into the air from a dead run on the ground however. I might need to put a little larger prop on it to get a bit more thrust.

But, it got a lot of attention. This group of folks had not previously seen it and so it made a good first showing at this field.

I put blenderm servo tape on the elevons this time. Followed up with a layer of hot glue over that. It seemed to do the trick because I did pick up some water from the runway and this time it did not cause problems with the tape coming up. I had Scotch transparent tape on it the first time and the water loosened it right up. Blenderm however, sticks really good!

24. 3DMON

Hey ET,
    I like your idea. That could come in handy for sure as long as its strong enough.

25. Evil-Tunes

Thanks 3DMON

I can adjust the tension with different rubber bands I'm sure the controll surfaces will fade at speed or huge dive. I'm not sure I would want this for flying outdoors. Indoors and combat and I think it should work fine.

Cheers
    E-T