1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Slots unpredictable Offset?

Discussion in 'Sketchup Help' started by xtremeRCpilot, Jan 2, 2011.

1. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Hi Guyz!!
    Since the beginning of my MKII ownership I have cut ALOT of planes and designed dozens more. Once in a while or maybe even 20% of the time I get at least one Slot that is offset to my level line and when I go back into the file and offset the difference( lets say 1/16") It cuts in perfect alignment ! So I can assume there is nothing mechanical because the adjustment in sketchup cures the problem and all other slots on the path are OK, but now my file is not true, so to speak.
    I am wondering if this is a Sketchup or Mach Hiccup.... Im not sure if this is happening when the phlatscript generates the code, maybe there is a problem there?
    Anyone else see this issue, I have been able to work around it but It is very costly the first time you find out and a kit is not prefect for the customer!!
    The pic shows how I had to offset to get a good cut!!
    Just food for thought!!
    Thanks
    John Attached files [​IMG]

2. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Oh and BTW it makes no difference how long the path is in direction x or y This happend to a nose piece that is under 4" square and the slot offset was in the Y direction unlike the above pic!!

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

John you may want to make sure noting else is running in the background on your system that could be interfering once in a while with mach running. That's a far shot but it can happen and can act random like this. I know of one program in particular all over the mach support site they tell you to get rid of and that is the quick time player.
    If that's not the issue you may need to do a little maintenance and tighten your belts and re calibrate maybe your getting a little slippage once in a while on cuts that a rapid is moving to in a certain way. Just a few ideas to give a try :)
    Hope it helps
    Mark and Trish

4. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Thanks Mark,
    I am sure I have things running as this is shared on my main computer, but I do remember removing real player a while ago. Also I have ruled out mechanical because if I were to cut 3 kits all of them would be offset in the exact location which would be less likely, it would end up in random locations not just one slot! Also If I adjust the SKP file for the offset it would be perfect! So I think it is some sort of random oops when either the code is generated or when mach reads the code! I can live with this but was just wondering if anyone who makes kits and measures everything off has seen this issue! Maybe I am being to critical LOL :D
    Thanks for your help!!
    John

5. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I haven't had this happen. I have a dedicated computer running Mach and I took all background running programs and my antivirus off that machine. I had some issues (can't remember what they were) along time ago that made me remove everything. I would try turning things off in the background to see if it helps.

6. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

John, you can try importing the gcode back into sketchup and overlay it over the model. The cnc controller software will export out the gcode as dxf. It always imports way too big, for me, and I have to scale it back down.

-Kwok

7. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Hey Thanks guys, I am starting to wonder if I have gremlins in my computer :D I think Mark and Shaun are on to something because it makes sense if something is running in the backround, when the code is being generated a quick glitch would mess up the code. Time to go shopping :p
    Kwok, I never knew you could export from the mach, now I have to try this!!! :cool:
    I will let you know how it works out!
    John

8. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

That is interesting what if the gcode output has been doing this all along and we did not know it! :shock: I would try Kwoks idea to see where the code is putting the actual cut at. If that's ok then I would look at either a mechanical problem or something in the background causing interference.
    Mark and Trish

9. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

OK I see what you are saying, because if the code was corrupt and I export it as DXF it will show the problem :p I will look into this, but I feel pretty confident it is a glitch in the code, only because it repeats itself. Thanks again Mark!!
    John

10. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

John, sorry mis-spoke. It's the USB Controller Software, that has the feature of exporting the dxf out from gcode; not Mach.

-Kwok

11. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

No Problemo Kwok, I have a gcode to dxf converter that works well!! Thanks for the idea, this will sum things up pretty quick!!! :p
    John