1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

So whats inside the MKII's Flex Shaft?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Phlatprinter MKII Talk' started by kram242, Nov 11, 2009.

1. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Hey guys I had an old flex shaft laying around I used for measurements so I thought I would open it up so you could see whats inside :)
    Two screws and a retainer ring will get you inside.
    this is what you will see.
    Of course not a dirty as mine, I have been shooting WD-40 down the shaft of this one for a long time (not a good idea)
    Hope this helps someone
    Mark
    Attached files [​IMG]

2. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Hi Mark,

Always, been interested in what is inside. Can you explain what happen, in your case, with the WD-40? You put it down the far end of the cable, right?

I've personally stopped using WD-40, many years ago. It's deceptive, in that, it seems to be acting as a lubricant. But I think it's just because people apply it on a regular basis. And if they stop, then it"s bad. And if they don't stop, then it's bad too. My personal, ah ha moment, was after I stop flying glow for a long time and my engines sat for many years. When, I finally check on them they were all frozen. That wouldn't have happened if I had used regular oil as after run lub. The fact is WD stands for "water displacement". It's originally designed to stop rust & corrosion, by displacing water. But not to lubricate.

The lubs, I use most often are silicon and white lithium grease, both from a spray can. These two, I like, because they penetrate when sprayed, but stay put once the carrier evaporates. I also, been using air compressor oil, but it doesn't stay put. But putting these on plastic parts, also, like the little toy micro heli parts.

The below quote explains it better than I can : http://www.naturalhandyman.com/qa/qawd40.html
    "The one caveat I would like to share is that WD-40 is NOT a lubricant. Please note that nowhere on the cans bottles and literature does it say lubricate. Although there is an amount of "slipperiness", this is a rapidly evaporating carrier. The primary function of WD-40 is a solvent and rust dissolver. It "lubricates" by breaking stuck bonds, not by making something less "frictionable" for any length of time. Silicone, Teflon and Lithium are better, more longer lasting choices for true lubrication.
    For example, Holmes Halley garage door machines call for monthly lubrication and specifically advise against WD-40 and recommend white lithium grease. An initial spray of WD-40 may help dissolve old layers of grease and dirt build up, but needs to followed up by an application of an actual lubricant for best results"

-Kwok

3. kram242

Kwok,
    I actually was trying to spray it to the bearings so I would spray it just to the side of the col let and down into the plastic housing. You are right about the WD-40 one of the worse outcomes is that once mixed with foam dust becomes a sticky paste that will gum up everything it touches. So I have stopped using it on anything to do with the Phlatprinter. I have switched to white lithium grease as well. I have not tried silicon yet but that sounds even better. I am thinking that the best would simply be the 3in1 oil you can find in the squeeze cans. I am trying to get away from anything that once combined with foam dust creates that paste.
    Mark

4. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Mark,

3in1 oil would be similar to the air compressor oil, I am using. Recently, I have used it on tiny parts, where I can't spray because it penetrates well. And to protect parts in storage. But you can't put much on, as it runs. Silicon is obviously great for rubber seals, like windows. I sprayed too much on one window and it had trouble staying open. :) This summer, I was spraying the silicon on my bicycle chain and it seems to work very well. I had been using WD-40 and/or oil before, but it turned into a dirt paste, like you mentioned. And it would get on my cloths & sox.

-Kwok

5. kram242

I am going to try this air compressor oil you mentioned, thanks Kwok. The next step is to find the graphite/valsione Gasmasher mentioned to rub onto the flex shaft. That will keep this business end of the MKII maintained pretty well :)
    Mark