1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Started my MK3

Discussion in 'General Phlatprinter 3 Chat' started by rcav8r, Oct 18, 2010.

1. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Ha ha, made ya look :D
    Seriously I've been preparing for that day that is taking way too long to get here. I will have to modify my PhlatStandI made for my MKI to accommodate the MK3. The MK1 was sideways on the side of the table. Due to space limitations, I'll have to have the MK3 going the length of the extended table. Pics to come.
    Thread on original PhlatStand here : viewtopic.php?f=107&t=410

Also started to gather some goodies I'll be adding.
    Limit switches
    Limit switch over-ride switches with safety covers to help make sure the over ride switches aren't accidentally left "off"
    Physical E-Stop switch
    Wire to hook it all up.

Should I consider homing switches, or would they not be worth it since the bit is easily seen with the MK3?

Just waiting for the man in the big brown truck Attached files [​IMG]

2. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Why would you need an over-ride switch?

3. rcav8r

Well on my MKI when the gantry hit a limit switch, I was unable to jog the gantry until I turned the over ride switch off (broke the circuit) Then I could jog off of the limit switch.
    I would think there would be a way to back off (travel away from limit switch ), but I don't see how as the limit switches are in parallel and there is only one port on the card per axis.

Is there a better way?

4. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I use an override switch too. Your not able to jog off the limit switch because the limit switch disables the axis from moving.

I don't know of a better way.

5. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

Ok, so you are talking about the "hard" limit switches verses the "Soft" kind that you would use to zero out a machine, right?
    I plan to install both in my MK3 so I don't have to manually zero out the axis every time i power it up but I still have the protection of an out of control situation.

6. rcav8r

I think we're talking about the hard limit :) I plan on putting physical limit switches on the Y and Z axis. Yoram asked why an over ride was needed. I think I am stuck with using an over ride switch as my board does not support separate direction limit switches. That would be useful for example if the Y hit the right limit, the board would know, and allow me to jog left, but not right until the limit switch was opened.

In the OP I posed the question about hard homing switches. I believe Dennis (Dorsal) installed those pre MK3. I was asking if they are really that helpful since on the MK3 you can see the cutting bit, so it would be really easy to manually zero the Y and Z by sight.

7. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

Why not us a DPST switch for override? You could wire it in parallel with each of the Y and Z axes limit switches. It would make operation a little simpler.

Tim

8. rcav8r

I'm using a SPST switch as all it has to do is break the circuit to over ride ( closed circuit means limit hit). When running the over ride switch needs to be closed so that when the open limit switches are closed when hitting the limit, it will halt the axis. I chose to do one for each axis as opposed to 1 common one ( could just break the ground if doing that) because.... well I'm not sure why. That's just the way I did it on my MK1 and I'm sure I had a reason at the time ;)

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

rcav8r, the nice thing about using the hard homing switches is that my MK1.5 will repeat "Home" within a circle of a few thousandths of an inch in diameter - far more closely than I could ever perform visually. Maybe someday I'll put the dial indicator on it, but I can drop a spinning cutter back into the hole I originally drilled at Home, and never hear the cutter touch the foam the second time.

btw, I would use your real name if I could just remember it (or see it in your signature.) ;)
    No insult is intended, it's just that my cheat-sheet is at home, 60+ miles from here.

10. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

rcav8r, are you getting the usb controller/adapter option? Looks like there are limit switch connections there, too. Not sure the pros and cons of where to connect them.

11. crash5050

crash5050 Member

oh Wow, I was aboudda get all worked up...

12. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

:mrgreen:
    Dave, this looks great, can't wait to to see this set up!
    Mark and Trish

13. rcav8r

KYYU, I need to stay with the MACH3, and no USB board for now. No newer PC to run the USB software.

Dennis... wow you work 60 miles away... that's a fir piece as they saw in this neck of the woods :) That's a great point about homing switches... would let me do tool changes if I decide to get that fancy. And no offense taken.
    --Dave--

14. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

I was thinking of using just one switch instead of one per axis.

I think on the MK I/MK II the reason to use separate switches might be to more easily identify which axis hit the limit switch. With the Phlatprinter III, it should be pretty obvious.

Tim

15. rcav8r

Looks like I REALLY will be starting mine soon :D

I'll be sure to post how I do the limit/Panic switches... Attached files [​IMG]

16. SlowBipe

SlowBipe Member

I have a few questions.

Where are the two wires off the limit switch hooking into? The phlatprinter I ordered will have the USB adapter.

What kind of wiring are you using to wire in limit switches?

It sounds like I would only need switches for the Y and Z axis. On the X, the foam would just go out of the rollers.

Thanks, Michael

17. rcav8r

Not sure for the USB board as I have the older driver board. On that board there is one connection each for X,Y,Z,Common. I'm sure someone with the USB board can provide info. This feature is rather common, and Kyyu indicated that they were there on the USB board.

I'm using some wire I got from work. It is scrap that they cut off from running limit switches to the PLCs. Some guys use Cat5 networking cable, but that is solid wire, but I am a little leery about solid wire being in an environment where it can move. It tends to break easily.

Yes only Y and Z will need limit switches. No machine crash should the X axis run-a-muck

18. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

It saids it can have 8 limit switches and there is the labeled connector with 8 sets of pins.

Attached files [​IMG]

19. rcav8r

I know it's been said before, but I just have to say it again... The amount of work that Mark and Trish (and helpers) put into this thing is OUTSTANDING... EVERY detail has been worked out. The build video alone had to have taken a TON of time.
    I Actually started on the build yesterday afternoon, and with dinner, watching Return of the Pink Panther with my son, I am up to step 7 and this includes painting the thing. I am taking my time as I want to enjoy the build, and make sure everything is right. But honestly,so far, I can't see how you could build it wrong.

I was gonna work on it a bit today, but it was too nice to not go flying. Great day for flying, but not so good for a flying buddy. He lost his jet today, and I had to help fight a forest fire. Defiantly not something I was planning on doing today. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Ouch! Expensive day for your friend. That stinks, big time.
    We aren't allowed to fly turbines at our field because of the fire hazard they present. Good thing your extinguishers were good. We found out recently that ours didn't work when someone tried to use it on a lipo that caught fire. Fortunately they didn't really need the extinguisher.

21. topflight36

topflight36 Member

OK so I am taking it that the machine does not come with these switches.

Now does the machine already have a place to instal them.

2nd where do I get these switches from.

Thanks
    Tom

22. rcav8r

Shaun; I was amazed at how small the crash site was for how large a plane, but I was also equally amazed at how HOT the fire was. Most of the aluminum was melted or distorted. We did find one circuit board for one of the power boxes he had, and it was just an empty board. No components left. By the time we got to it ( about 3/4 of a mile over rough terrain) there was nothing left of the plane, just a BIG camp fire. After we got the bulk of the fire out, I went to lean against a tree about 10 foot from the impact, and it was too hot to touch. We don't have any official bans on turbines, but the few guys (only 2 ) at our field that fly them, don't fly them if it has been dry.
    I haven't seen a lipo fire (lucky), but hear they can be pretty fierce. This is why I NEVER charge my batteries inside. I don't even store them inside unless it's below 0 outside in the winter.

Tom, the switches do NOT come with the kit. I am adding them just for an extra piece of mind. I had them on an my modified MKI machine. They seemed to make more sense there as you could not see the Y/Z gantry, but I figured I would add them here just as a safety measure. With the stock steppers you will stall the motors before doing any real damage to the machine.
    As far as placement I have a few ideas, but will decide on the final location once I get the PPIII built. I'll be sure to post pics.

23. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

24. rcav8r

That's where I got mine, but got these ones as they have quick connect terminals instead of solder.

http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=18085+SW

The Quick connect terminals make for easier swap out if needed. I did actually break one of them apart on my MK1.5 when I was taking it apart. With the quick connects it was really easy to swap.

25. rcav8r

Here is where I put my limit switches. One on each end of the cabinet where the Y/Z gantry is. (1st Pic). E-Stop in foreground.
    2nd & 3rd Pic is for the Z gantry. I really need to make some better whiskers, but I was in a hurry at this stage to get the PP3 running, and so far they appear to work just fine.
    4th Pic is of the over ride switches. Covers should help determine if they are in position (not overridden) to cut. There are LEDs that light when an axis is tripped, but with the overhead gantry it is easy enough to see. I used generic LEDs that I had, and used a single 150 ohm resister at the common ground. The LEDs aren't the brightest, but are OK.
    5th pic shows the holes being drilled. Tape used to mark location so they are straight and centered.
    6th Pic is of how I mounted the 4 limit switches. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]