1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Stepper motor question

Discussion in 'Original Phlatprinter MODIFICATIONS' started by Thewz, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

Hi Guys/Gals,

I'm looking at getting these steppers....what do y'all think?

620 oz/in Motor Specs:

Series Specs:

Phase: 2
    Step Angle: 1.8 +/- 5% / Step
    Voltage: 4.2 V
    Current: 3.5A/Phase
    Resistance: 1.2 +/- 10% Ohms/Phase
    Inductance: 6.4 +/- 20% mH/Phase
    Holding Torque: 440 N.cm or 620 oz/in.
    Insulation Class: B
    Lead Style: ff46-1/0.5
    Flange Size: NEMA23

2. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

And what, pry tell, are you going to do with these monsters? A SuperPhlaty on steroids? :D :D

3. FozzyTheBear

FozzyTheBear Member

They're a very good high torque spec.... There's not much you wouldn't cut with those, but the stock phlatprinter probably won't handle the power very well. It's better to reduce the friction than it is to try and overcome it with motors that powerful. Your limits will be the machine, you'll find that a lot of the parts will resonate and restrict what power you can actually put in. Unless you're planning some serious engineering modifications.

You also won't run those on the stock driver board. It has a limit of 2.5 Amps. So you'd have to be looking for a new controller to cope with them as well.

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

4. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

Thewz, i have one 180oz. and two 260oz. on mine, and i think I'm on the upper limit of the easy cnc control board. its a proven set-up and i know i would not go any bigger...on the phlatty over 180 in.oz. is overkill with perfectly aligned axis... just my 2 cents....peace, randy.

5. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

bwahahahaha........these mosters are for another project..... :D I just didn't know where else to post a question about steppers....

They'll be driven by a Gecko G540 powered by a 48v 12 AMP PS.

I've got plans.....very few skills but I have plans!

My MK1 I've modified to add a 282oz/in stepper on the Y-axis. The Z and X are fine with the little guys. I blew the chip....must have a lose wire...

6. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

The key word is "perfect"....I can do many things but getting something....anything "perfect" ain't one of them.... :oops:

The Y-Axis glides smooth from side to side with the belt off. I would like to add linear bearings but I have to figure out how to do this.....If I do I will get the adjustable kind.....see above... :lol:

I've just modded my MK1 to add a 282oz stepper to the Y-axis. It draws 2.1Amps since I have it configured "bipolar in series" so I am within spec for the easy-cnc board.

7. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

Thewz, lols....i didn't mean that literally...lols.... we as mortal men know that such a thing does not exist in our life's...as a machinist thou, i see a value of .0001 is perfect....its like a center-line to me...without being perfect where is the center of the line?? without being perfect there's no such thing, as its always to one side or the other, lols. perfection wont be realized for us til after we leave here, lols. peace, randy.

8. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

I know Randy....I was messing with ya....heck .0001 is way out of my range. I'm happy if it's within .0625..... :oops:

9. FozzyTheBear

FozzyTheBear Member

ROFL :lol: I'm usually happy with most machines at a tollerance of .0005" The phlatprinter doesn't need that close a tollerance but the better you can get it the better it will run.

Just to throw the cat amongst the pidgeons here.... :lol: I once sent a car crankshaft to be ground, at a race car manufacturer. It came back and I read the tollerance report and was fuming!! because it looked to me like they'd ground it to a tollerance of +-0.005" I phoned them up only to realise my mistake just as I was starting to rant at the guy on the other end of the phone.......

They'd ground it to a tollerance of +-0.00005" as Randy said! 0.0001" is technically near perfection on any surface. I shut up rather quickly after I clocked that and took my red face and me off into a corner for a while :lol:

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)