1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Still no go on the X

Discussion in 'Trouble Shooting - Support - Help Section' started by frankrcfc, Aug 14, 2009.

1. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Brian and I worked probably 4 hours last night testing and adjusting and just making general observations as to why the X will not home each time. We set up a test cut that makes the X go back and fourth in short 2 inch movements so we can observe it's movement. It starts out ok but progressively gets farther and farther past the marker I put on the pully and a static point on the Phlatprinter top. The program comes to an end and it consistantly stops just past the marker about an 1/8 to a 1/4 ". I even isolated the X to work by itself thinking it was starving for voltage and amperage but it does the exact same thing. This is the most frustrating thing that has ever happened. Everything is glued tight and absolutely no slippage. Anybody at all have an idea? I am at my wits end here :shock:

2. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Forgot to say I even reinstalled Mach

3. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

try changing out the steppers

4. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Hey Jeff. That is the next move. I just bought that one couple weeks ago and it is the exact same one as on my Y axis. That stinks if it is a bad stepper or control board.

5. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

There have been more than a couple threads in the last few weeks where one axis is overshooting by 1/8" - 1/4". Have you guys done any windows updates lately that might be causing a problem on the parallel port? What version of Mach are you using?

6. FozzyTheBear

FozzyTheBear Member

Don't go changing your steppers out just yet!! I hit this one with the bare board and the steppers on thier own. I think if you check the frequency that Mach is running at you'll cure your problem.

I had it set up to run at a higher core frequency because I though the PC was up to it... turns out that when you do set it like that it freaks and does this overshoot thing. There was something about this over on the Mach forum but I can't find it at the moment.

Try setting it back to the default setting.

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

7. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Frank this is a problem that we are seeing with certain people systems. We are trying to figure this one out as well. Its a strange one because it only happens to some people and not others. The worst part is that its not happening on mine that I can tell. So I am having a time trying to trouble shoot it.
    There are however a couple guys here that are working on it as well Iflyos(Tim) and Flightime(Erin)
    Tim was able to get emc loaded on his system and the problem went away. Now he has offered to go back into Mach and help to work on this issue.
    Erin and I have been scouring the Mach3 support forum looking for answers. http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php He has since thought it may be a program running in the background so because of an issue he had with install ubuntu for emc he has formatted his hard drive and is reinstalling windows. We will see how this works when he is finished.
    Here is my current OS config that may be of some help
    1.7 GHz
    XP Home edition
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 3

Another thing to look into is the drivertest.exe file located under your mach3 folder to see if your system is still up to par or if something is throwing the timing off.
    the drive test needs Mach shut down, you then look in the Mach3 folder and you will see Drivertest.exe, double click on that and it will do a countdown, take over the system and run the test, after a while it will stop. If the line is smooth you are OK if its full of huge spikes then you have problems.
    Here is a link for optimizing xp to run mach3, this may help
    http://www.machsupport.com/downloads/XP ... zation.txt

This is a tough one to figure out and it seems like we have been over it all. So any and all help here would be beneficial to all current and future Phlatboyz.
    Thank you guys for your help on this one
    Mark
    P.S. Please post your test gcode file so that we can all use the same base line for testing.
    Thanks

8. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Mark, I remember you had a creeping Z axis once, when you were doing a live carving demo. You thought it was a setting in Mach3, that you just changed. Did you figure out what that was?

Fozzy, Randy (rjarois) also had the same problem after increasing the kernal frequency:
    viewtopic.php?f=105&t=635
    But I am most amazed that you checked repeatability with bare motors. ;)

-Kwok

9. FozzyTheBear

FozzyTheBear Member

What can I say... I was waiting for the rest of the parts to turn up. and Yeah! I had flags on them and checked them to specific numbers of rotations by running really low feed rates and counting.... What can I say apart from I'm a bit obsessive... LOL :D I wanted to see what effect changing the kernel frequency had on the output. I was also doing torque tests to see what happens when running at full steps as opposed to 1/8th steps. see what I mean about obsessive! ;)

Anyway! as I was saying.... if he isn't running at the base kernel speed it's worth turning it down to the minimum, because I observed exactly this effect when I turned it up.

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

10. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

This is what I got when I tested in the mach3 tester. I also went ahead and grabbed the bigger 10 amp board from easy-cnc. I really like that idle feature on it. I tested the x motor on the y and it worked perfect. I really think I might have messed up the X controller on the board. Just odd that Y and Z work perfect no matter what I mess with.

[​IMG]

11. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

This is what I got with my desktop and dell sx260. :

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

hmmm wonder where all that noise is coming from on mine?

13. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

frankrcfc, on the cnc machines i ran were i worked....it was very important that the control wires are shielded. any RF noise can mess up the signal and read-outs and cause intermittent data signal loss, or troubles. i know that the wire mark has instructed the fellows to use is the shielded variety....maybe you may have a bad piece?? also move the signal wire away from ant noise generating source, maybe its picking it up from somewheres. also i would try to replace the parallel cord...use the shortest one you can get away with. the longer you have the more chance for data loss. good luck, peace, randy.

14. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Randy, I don't think that's line noise. It should be the delay of the pc in sending pulses to the parallel port? Both my pc don't have the controller connected, if that is making any difference. Frank can disconnect his parallel cable, to see if there is a change.

I was trying to understand the meaning of the data, so looked in the Mach3 pdf for info. And the picture they have of the test screen is totally different. The interesting thing is they now have a rating, so the meaning is clear. So I installed the latest version 3.042.029 in a different folder, to try the newer test. I don't know if you can have two versions installed, but it seems to be ok. Or if anyone wants to try the new "DriverText.exe", I will upload it. Use it at you own risk. Be sure to save your config file, "Mach3Mill.xml", just in case it screws up something and you need to reinstall. Here is a picture of the new test, running:

Attached files DriverTest (try at you own risk).zip (149.2 KB)Â [​IMG]

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Kwok - I tried your new DriverTest file, and nothing happens, meaning it never starts or burps up an error page or anything. What gives?
    I see the "description" of the file says "Mach1 OCX and Driver loader" - Does that mean it's for a MAC?

16. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Dorsal, I am running winxp, so you can disregard the description. Since you are having problems, I just checked if it would work on my dell sx260. The sx260 only has Mach3 v2.6 installed, instead of the 2 version of Mach on my main desktop pc. And it worked fine. It just opens up the window, when you double click it. Since it's generally run from the Mach3 folder, I also checked if it can be run from the window's desktop and yes it works that way, too. So I got no idea why it's not working for you? Lets see what happens, when someone else tries it. Here is the results ,just now, from the sx260:

Attached files [​IMG]

17. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Try changing the parallel port in the bio to something else, i forget all the different types you can try at least in my bios. maybe also try a parallel port card that is cheap to buy (if they still make them)

18. rjarois

frankrcfc, what cpu is your computer using?

19. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

I have the Intel Core 2 duo CPU
    E6750 @ 2.66 Ghz
    2,67 GHz and 2 gigs of ram

Windows XP home ver 2002 SP3

20. rjarois

frankrcfc, frank that looks great....do you know if it has a separate videocard, or is it integrated on the motherboard?

21. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

It is a home built system. I do a lot of Flight sim flying and need a lot of power and the video card is the Geforce 880 512

22. rjarois

frankrcfc, frank, i was wondering if you could take the time to review this thread that was started yesterday. mark and trish have over 100 phaltprinters out ther and they are working hard to figure out why some are having problems. thanks, randy.
    http://www.phlatforum.com/viewforum.php?f=144

23. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

I don't have a mechanical problem it is definitly a controller issue. I ordered a new board by the way from easy-cnc and I got an email saying they are completely out of stock so i got a refund. Going to look at some other boards and see what I can come up with. argh.... Ok I just ordered the hobbycnc 3 axis Pro board kit. Lot cheaper than the 10 amp unit from easy-cnc :p